1TB Xbox One HDD questions.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I maybe in the market for an xbox one soon; I saw the teardown on ifixit the 500GB version of the xbox one that reveals it is a samsung hdd, however there is limited to zero information on the 1TB version of the xbox one. Does anyone knows what the hdd make of the 1TB version is?

Also for some strange unanswered reason some tech website such as lifehacker, gizmodo, or engadget mentions to avoid the 1TB models (I could be mistaken) could anyone shed some light on this?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I maybe in the market for an xbox one soon; I saw the teardown on ifixit the 500GB version of the xbox one that reveals it is a samsung hdd, however there is limited to zero information on the 1TB version of the xbox one. Does anyone knows what the hdd make of the 1TB version is?

Also for some strange unanswered reason some tech website such as lifehacker, gizmodo, or engadget mentions to avoid the 1TB models (I could be mistaken) could anyone shed some light on this?

It's not brand, you can actually use any 2.5" drive as long as it fits (they said something about size). Here's something I was thinking about going for (it's noted in consoles because they are programmed around a delay, that a SSD does not make a huge difference in gaming).

SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive - Newegg.com

2tb drive for $99... Something like this SHOULD work.

You need to connect both drives to a desktop computer, and run a Linux script on it and it will copy all the data from one to the other. Drop in, close up your One and enjoy your space.

Of course I would only think about doing something like this if I was OUT OF WARRANTY. I am a day one owner, so I already have an external drive but, a 2-4tb would be very tempting to do...If it was possible (2tb is the largest 2.5" available)

It looks really easy to pull apart... even access the hard drive, pop the cover, remove 8 long screws, pop off some small boards (that are not even screwed in) pull the cover and there is the HD...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=9&v=83PO5Fd8gZ8

Last edited:

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I added a 2tb USB powered external portable drive for $80, it's alot less hassle and doesn't void a warrantee.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I added a 2tb USB powered external portable drive for $80, it's alot less hassle and doesn't void a warrantee.

Riddle me this (btw, I added a 1tb USB powered drive and it's almost full)....I was a day one Xbox one owner, I am out of warranty. To open the Xbox one and access the drive, would take less than 10-15 min (according to directions, and I have all tools needed) and the software is something you just run, so it's fairly easy to setup and move data over.

Why not ? I'm sure not too many people have a 2tb xbox one :)

I'm very tempted to do it, My game systems are on display, wires hidden very well, so having an extra box on the xbox one is ugly...

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Well it would take considerably more time as you you have to clone all the partitions correctly first. Also without any ESD protection you risk latent damage to the internals.

I get it, I have a day one box too, but I can't see my external HDD sitting behind my box so it doesn't bother me. I would just add another for how cheap they are if I needed it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well it would take considerably more time as you you have to clone all the partitions correctly first. Also without any ESD protection you risk latent damage to the internals.

I get it, I have a day one box too, but I can't see my external HDD sitting behind my box so it doesn't bother me. I would just add another for how cheap they are if I needed it.

Looking over the directions, you don't have to touch the CPU heat sink or anything else, every part is just a unplug and plug back in. Nothing that could really get damaged that could cause major problems with the system, if you are reasonably carful. That is the easy part, doing the software to clone the drive is a little longer of a process.

Yea, the other side, if your doing an External, you can get like a 5-6tb drive for under $150-200 (I scored a 5tb 7200rpm USB 3.0 drive for $147 to use on my HTPC). With 1tb and if your a hard core gamer, you will run out of space at some point. 5tb, you need to be pretty diehard or after about 4-5 years of downloading the free games each month to run out of space.

As I am long out of warranty now, I am tempted as a 2tb 2.5" drive could be had for under $120 or so. It wont last forever but, it sure will extend the life of the xbox one with out any external boxes..

I just wish 4-5tb options in a 2.5" drive was an option or at least an affordable option (largest 2.5 drive is 2tb) and it would be a no brainer for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon