The Elite Controller is REALLY good.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone talk about this around here, so I thought I'd make a thread to let you guys know what I think about this fancy controller.

To put it plainly, the Xbox One?s controller is built like crap. It feels cheap in the hands, due to its lighter weight and probable thinner plastic mold. My first controller became unusable a little after a year due to the right stick drifting. And the one I got to replace it had a loose left back panel, and you can already see the left control stick starting to wear on the shaft.

But, the Elite Wireless Controller is Microsoft?s premium controller designed with pro-gamers in mind.

The Elite controller has a few things going for it, the first of which are the interchangeable parts. They all attach to the controller magnetically. The connections are strong enough that nothing will fly off while you?re playing, but still come off easily when you intend to swap something out.

It comes with three sets of analog sticks, a set of regular ones that all Xbox players will be familiar with, a medium height set with rounded tops, and a tall set. These are great for use in first person shooters as you can be more accurate with your movements with a taller stick. The tall one is still too different for me to use, but I?ve already grown used to using the medium one for Halo.

There are also two different d-pads; the standard cross, and an odd bowl shaped one. The latter of which would be useful in fighting games as you can more easily roll your thumb around.

Around the back of the controller there are a couple of things going on. The triggers have a switch that will stop them, giving them a shorter throw and stops them at their activation point. This essentially makes them digital inputs. As you can probably guess, this is once again useful for FPS?s so you don?t have to waste the fractions of a second to pull the trigger all the way down. I like this feature for Halo and going back to mushy triggers doesn?t feel right at all.

Finally, the most foreign addition, are the paddles. The Elite Controller comes with four of them, two short and two long, that go into the back of the controller. Any digital input on the controller can be mapped to the paddles. A pro-gamer would like this because they no longer have to take their thumbs off of the sticks while playing a game. But they?re still fun to use even if you?re not hyper-competitive. Halo 5?s default layout has the new dash on the B button, making it practically useless in a firefight. With it on one of the paddles however, there have been a few times I was able to dodge and still successfully pop someone in the head. It?s also kinda cool to have manual shifting on the paddles for Forza.

To map buttons to the paddles, or remap any of the buttons, there?s an app called Xbox Accessories. The app will walk you through how to do just that. You can also do things like change the dead zones of the triggers or adjust the sensitivity curve of the analog sticks, if you?re so inclined. As someone that has a family history of arthritis, it?s nice to be able to turn down the vibration intensity, rather that it just being an on/off switch.

This app has since been opened for use with all Xbox One controllers, but the Elite Controller still has some advantages. The Elite Controller can have two different layouts, so switching between games with different layouts doesn?t mean going into the app every time. And switching between them is easy, as there is a switch on the front of the controller that lets you do that. It?s that easy because your custom layouts are saved locally to the controller. So, if you find yourself going to a friend?s house often to play some split-screen Master Chief Collection, your custom layout will come with you.

Then there?s the overall build quality of the Elite Controller. It?s SUPERB. The front has a matte finish, and the back of the handles have a grippy material. The d-pad, analog sticks, and triggers are made out of steel, so there?s no worry of them wearing down. The controller is definitely heavier than the standard one, but still comfortable to hold for hours on end.

And that?s what it really comes down to for me. The Elite Controller completely blows the standard one out of the water when it comes to build quality. It is significantly better. But is it a hundred dollars better?

The Elite Wireless Controller is $150. That?s 2.5x more than the standard controller at $60. Given that I was already on my second controller in two years, I think it was worth it. I like to play a lot of Halo multiplayer, so the additional bits are nice to have. If you?re playing a dozen or more hours a week playing Xbox games, especially if they?re competitive multiplayer games, then the Elite Controller is worth the investment.

As of right now, it's hard to come by. It's out of stock on Amazon, and it's not shipping until the end of the year on Microsoft's store. If you're in the market for an Xbox One, the new Elite bundle comes with this controller.

If you have any questions, let me know!

And if you're interested in a video version of what I have to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv9NVOqcQpU

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Great review, I've been enjoying mine. Is it worth $150 that really is the question, for me yes. I could see how someone could say it's not though. It's all about perspective. I once paid $1000 for two tickets to a concert, comparing it to that its so worth it. I also bought the Rock Band 4 Band in the box for $175, compare it to that and I cringe a little bit haha.

Being able to customize the controller to the game/play style is really something else. There is a downside to that tho. My first race in the Destiny SRL i forgot that i had my triggers locked to only half way. Raced the first 2 laps thinking there was something I was doing wrong until i realized what the issue was haha.

I've had a lot of growing pains haha, but that again is half the fun. Training my brain to hit the top left bumper rather then move my right thumb to A has been a struggle.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'll say this about the RB4 comparison, based on my time using the instruments from the first 2 games--this controller will probably be functioning perfectly long after those instruments are. The stock drum pedals have always been trash, and I always preferred the GH guitars to the squishier RB buttons and strum bar.

I would like to get one of these controllers, but IDK when I can. I considered asking for it for Christmas, but they're not shipping until December 28th, according to the MS Store (if it's even in-stock at a given moment). I don't need it, but I want it. I hate the way the plastic sticks grind and get the white residue from that. I don't trust that they'll hold up long-term, so getting the metal sticks with the Elite controller is an awesome upgrade.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
haha yea, no doubt on the kick pedal. I used to prefer GH guitars, but I really like the new RB4 one. It's quite a bit longer, and just feels better to hold. I like the frets a lot better as they are flush to each other.

The triggers, and thumb sticks alone make the Elite Controller worth it.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the Elite Controller - but the Lunar White controller sold at Gamestop is really, really, really good too... Much better build quality than the other two controllers I have... MUCH BETTER. Not in the Elite level, but seriously - it's a good controller.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The Forza one is built the same. I wanted to get it during Black Friday, but it sold out and never came back while I was around. After missing the Advanced Warfareone last year, I'm very disappointed in myself for doing it again, haha. The Lunar White, I just found it ugly. Not a fan of the white electronics, and the gold accents make it look like unattractive to me.

Right now, I've got the Titanfall one and both Halo 5 ones. I REALLY wish the Locke controller had put the blue on the triggers, it looks so great on the D-Pad. I also wish the Chief one weren't quite so dark. The accents are nice, but the green plastic's a bit too muted, IMO.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not that bad looking, but it is a little different because of the gold accents. But, seriously - it feels so good and so well built I can 'look past' it's aesthetics...

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree... I bought the Elite Xbox One bundle and by default I got the controller that way. I was going to buy it separately as well, but like someone stated earlier, it's been sold out.

Shipping times at Microsoft.com is for the end of the month. I know they had some at the Microsoft store here in NY a few weeks ago. I'm sure they're gone now.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy had these in-stock on their site with free copies of Halo 5 included. I tried to order it last night, but it sold out as I was confirming the order. They were briefly back this morning, but I had the same result.

I ran to my local Best Buy for last-minute Christmas shopping, and they had two on the shelf. I was totally thrilled, got the Elite controller and Halo 5 for $150, plus tax. Going to get my grandma's receipt from buying Halo 5 for my little brother for Christmas and return it for her, then give her the free copy, saving her $65. I haven't gotten to play, but I unboxed the thing, and it feels glorious. For starters, I held the Elite controller and the basic controller + Play & Charge, and the box for the Elite SIGNIFICANTLY outweighs the basic controller, plus the battery. The textured grips are nice, and I really like the smooth, matte finish on the front. The magnetic holding for the paddles is sweet, and the whole thing is just impressively built.

Definitely pleased with my purchase, without even using it. The metal sticks are what sold me, as I hate the way the plastic ones grind down after a couple of months (my original console's sticks had grooves kind of carved into them by the joystick barriers).

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd agree that the Elites are significantly better than the stock XB1 controllers. I don't use the fancy paddles, just use it for casual gaming. Really does have a great weight and solidity about it, and grips really nicely.

Microsoft did an awesome job with this one.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Those who have the Elite controller... are you using Kontrol Freeks? I feel I haven't needed it, but I'm thinking of trying to see how it feels.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I don't see why anyone would get those. They seem more about aesthetics than anything. The Elite controller comes with 3 sets of sticks (1 short convex, 1 short concave, 1 tall concave), so you should have what you want/need in the box, in terms of playing.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Right now im running the short dome on the left thumb stick, and tall concave on the right.

I only attempt to use the paddles playing Halo lol.

Tech_User16

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft did a great job on this controller. As well as its selling I know it would sell even more if it wasn't priced as high as it is. Although it's priced too high I did get one. Actually had to get a second one because the first one was defective. Never purchased a controller with one of the buttons "sticky". The button was slow to rise back up. Got it replaced and was good to go.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
No, I don't see why anyone would get those. They seem more about aesthetics than anything. The Elite controller comes with 3 sets of sticks (1 short convex, 1 short concave, 1 tall concave), so you should have what you want/need in the box, in terms of playing.

Definitely not for aesthetics. I have used them with my Scuf controllers and even on my regular controllers prior to doing so. I found that with them, I could have a lower sensitivity (to be on target and more accurate) while still being able to turn on people and/or have better range of motion. The sticks feel so comfortable, so I haven't tried.

mc511

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I got this controller with Halo 5. I love it. But man did the paddles take some getting used to. I got a nice headache the next day. I think it took a toll on me because its muscle reflex and i was readjusting everything i knew about playing Halo. However Halo is the only game I play with the paddles. I am playing Tomb Raider and i take them off as I dont really need those type of reaction time. Great controller overall. I hope MS ships a controller like this with the next gen xbox that has all the features and build quality but without the extra buttons or sticks. Fair trade off. Also I think it be cool if the controller was back lite with the buttons lighting up.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I got this controller with Halo 5. I love it. But man did the paddles take some getting used to. I got a nice headache the next day. I think it took a toll on me because its muscle reflex and i was readjusting everything i knew about playing Halo. However Halo is the only game I play with the paddles. I am playing Tomb Raider and i take them off as I dont really need those type of reaction time. Great controller overall. I hope MS ships a controller like this with the next gen xbox that has all the features and build quality but without the extra buttons or sticks. Fair trade off. Also I think it be cool if the controller was back lite with the buttons lighting up.

If they did, no one would buy it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6