What's the story with the headsets on Xbox One?

madthoughts

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What's the story with the headsets on Xbox One?

I've been Bing-ing a big and I feel like I can't get a straight answer.

1. Does my 360 headset work with it?
2. Can I get game audio if I plug in basic headphones into the controller?
3. Do I need to buy that adapter thingie?
4. What about voice commands? Without Kinect, can I use them through a headset with mic?

Thanks for the help from a clueless, lapsed gamer.

Last edited:

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
1) Not sure about a 360 headset. I've never tried that.
2 & 3) It depends on when you bought your Xbox One. Newer Ones (I think from Summer and more recent) have the 3.5mm plug next to the custom connection. If you have that, then any headset will do. On my son's, we were using a crappy $5 headset that also works with his phone.
4) I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I do not believe that Kinect commands will work through the headset. I think the Kinect itself has to hear the commands.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
1. If the 360 headset has 2.5mm you can get an adapter to 3.5mm to fit. The 360 Bluetooth headset doesn't work.
2. If you have the stereo headset adapter there are two buttons on either side which controls game audio and chat audio. If you have the new controllers with 3.5mm you will have to adjust the volume in settings.
3. If you don't see a 3.5mm port next to the proprietary port on the controller, then yes.
4. Voice commands are processed by Kinect so you need Kinect, however you do not need this with Cortana.

FrankRow

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
For #2, what volume settings do I need to look for and change? I'm trying to do this for my son so he can chat with his friends. We are using those apple headsets. We have the newer Xbox One with the new controller and the 3.3mm jack in them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans