What do i need to build my pc?

chipsboy

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
So next year after i get my tax return i want to invest in a custom built pc. I dont know much about specs so if someone can link me everything i need that would be awsome. I dont want to spend over $1000 so the less i spend the better. I only play WoW so with that said i want to play WoW in the highest setting with no lag. For the casing i would like a cool looking one either black and red or black and green with multiple usb ports. I would also like to bit of streaming but streaming isnt a priority. I would also like to record game play to add to youtube. So for you experts please feel free to give me advise. Thanks

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Read the recommended specs for WOW on the package. That is the minimum requirement you need. If you want someone to research the components for you; normally, these days it is cheaper to buy an already manufactured computer. You're probably also looking at dropping about $1600 for a low end gaming computer and monitor.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So next year after i get my tax return i want to invest in a custom built pc. I dont know much about specs so if someone can link me everything i need that would be awsome. I dont want to spend over $1000 so the less i spend the better. I only play WoW so with that said i want to play WoW in the highest setting with no lag. For the casing i would like a cool looking one either black and red or black and green with multiple usb ports. I would also like to bit of streaming but streaming isnt a priority. I would also like to record game play to add to youtube. So for you experts please feel free to give me advise. Thanks

Don't listen to that first guy. $1,600 for a PC is a preposterous total. Use PC Part Picker to help you get the right stuff and compare prices. Hopefully there's a bit of a drop in DDR4 prices by tax season because the new Intel stuff, Skylake, is the first to use the new memory type, which has it kind of pricey. You could take a step down and use DDR3 and a Haswell processor, as WoW just doesn't take that much to run. Knowing what you can/can't use for this PC matters, too. Do you already have an operating system? Monitor? Mouse? Keyboard?

Also, do you have a Fry's or Micro Center near you? They usually give you BY FAR the best prices on a CPU ($40-60 less).

I'll just do as is typical, and go with a build of the tower alone. Mice and keyboards are highly preferential, not everyone has to buy the OS, and you might already have a monitor. I'm going to throw something lazy together and link it below.

Intel Core i5-4690K, Asus Radeon R9 380, NZXT S340 (Black/Red) - System Build - PCPartPicker

PCPartPicker part list: Intel Core i5-4690K, Asus Radeon R9 380, NZXT S340 (Black/Red) - System Build - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: Intel Core i5-4690K, Asus Radeon R9 380, NZXT S340 (Black/Red) - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($221.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card ($204.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $909.76

Now, that's just a lazy listing. You can probably get by with a graphics card a couple of steps lower, WoW isn't graphically demanding. The PSU is also a bit overkill, but means you don't have to replace it the next time you want to upgrade. Combo deals could probably bring it lower, especially if you have a Fry's or Micro Center near you. Throw in the $50-100 for a mouse and keyboard and a $150 monitor, and you're $1,200 on a lazy setup. Oh, and ignore the compatibility warning. It's mad at the optical drive for some reason, PCPP doesn't like any of them. They're a generic connector, so any will work. You can also get a cheaper case, I just did some fast filtering on black/red and green/red and found one with a lot of good ratings, rather than doing a deep search into them.

I'd guess that with a little better searching, I could have that around $1,100. If I were to cut the GPU back and deal with combos as well, you could be around $1,000, maybe less. I meaningfully went above what was seriously necessary with a lot. The CPU and GPU are way overkill, that pair alone could save you $100 if you went closer to the as-needed WoW hardware.

chipsboy

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks alot for this info. If it ends up going over $1000 its ok ill just have to wait and save money to buy the more expensive parts.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Great advise by Keith above^^^ also check newegg.com for combo deals!

When you build your machine, make sure you don't "cheap out" on the PSU (power supply)! (The Corsair one he mentions above is a good one) as this is one of the most important, albeit often overlooked components of a build. The quality of the PSU will determine the overall life and health of your system. Check the PSU requirements of the video card you choose. If the video card calls for at least a 500w PSU, get one that's 850w or higher. Check the ratings and reviews, and purchase accordingly. The PSU should be just as important of a decision as the video card, RAM, motherboard and CPU!

antheocy

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
do some research , read reviews , take your time in building your custom made pc.Look at special offers and sales.Some brands I would recommened are Asus , Gigabyte , Intel , Plextor , Thermaltake , Coolermaster , Kingston. Im sure that you can easily build your pc under $1000. good luck and let us know how you go and what you bought in the end. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium