Getting new Xbox One - have a few questions

ZoiBH

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys.
I'm getting my first console ever in a few days and it will be Xbox One. I have been PC gamer all my life, so I have a few questions.
As I don't have a TV in my house, I have two problems, and that is connection xbone to video and audio sources. I will use my monitor, and it doesn't have HDMI port. So I have to use HDMI to DVI right? Would I have any problems? Or is it better to go with HDMI to DisplayPort?

As for audio, I guess I have to use optical audio cable? I have a home theatre with 5.1 surround sound, and I guess it supports Dolby/DTS. Can I just connect my xbone to my home theatre via optical cable and use it as audio source?

Also, as I'm buying used Xbox, I will get several games, like GTA 5, Tomb Raider - Definitive Edition, Forza 6, Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2, F1 2015, Metal Gear Solid 5, Rayman Legends etc. and I'll get Xbox Live Gold till November 2016. So I'm thinking about either buying Halo MCC or another controller so I can play with my wife. What do you suggest?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central, the simplest option is to use HDMI however this isn't possible in your case so HDMI to DisplayPort would be the best option as DVI doesn't carry audio. I own Halo MCC myself so I can vouch for it, as for another controller, if you can find one, you could get the Xbox One Elite Controller. You may want to consider extending that Xbox Live Gold subscription simply for Games with Gold.

I can also recommend Titanfall, Wolfenstein The New Order, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Rare Replay, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, Watch_Dogs and Gears of War Ultimate Edition. There are also lots of apps that I would recommend as well.

ZoiBH

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Hehe I am a long time visitor, just didn't post earlier. Actually I did but with a guest account. Anyway seems like I will have to connect it that way.

What about audio and optical audio out?

Elite controller is way to expensive for me so I'm not going to buy it anytime soon, maybe never. My question was what should I chose for now, either Halo MCC or another controller. But seems like that's something I have to sort with myself.

I will probably extend that subscription when the time comes.

I have played lots of Titanfall on PC, so I will skip it, same for GoW. Not interested in Battlefron or Watch_Dogs unless I find some really good deal. I'll probably play Wolfie on PC. I have considered Rare Replay but I'm not sure for now that I would find that game interesting. Thanks for the suggestions tho. What about Sunset Overdrive? I have really considered that game, but I'm not sure how much value I would get from it, or if it's worth the money and time.

robbz94

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
The audio will work by just plugging in the optical audio to your sound system. That is what i am currently doing and it works with no problems.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Surely your Home Cinema system has HDMI on it so why not go HDMI on the Xbox One to HDMI on the Home Cinema system, then HDMI to DisplayPort on the Monitor. That would give you the best audio and picture quality.

Sunset Overdrive is a game that I haven't played yet but hopefully it should show up on Games with Gold at some point though.

Last edited:

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. I use a monitor and it's the best for gaming, especially online for multiplayer.

ZoiBH

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Apparently not only is my home cinema missing HMDI port, but it is missing optical audio port also. Seems like I will stick with included headset for now, till I find a solution.

As for the CoD, thanks for the suggestion but I am not interested in it that much.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Apparently not only is my home cinema missing HMDI port, but it is missing optical audio port also. Seems like I will stick with included headset for now, till I find a solution.

As for the CoD, thanks for the suggestion but I am not interested in it that much.

No problem. I also like Siege, but it's only fun if you have people playing with you.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central, the simplest option is to use HDMI however this isn't possible in your case so HDMI to DisplayPort would be the best option as DVI doesn't carry audio.

I just wanted to say that this isn't quite true...
I'm running DVI-HDMI (yes, that's opposite of what he's talking about), from my computer to my TV.
It DOES pass audio.
Had you asked me if it would work, the day before doing it, I would have said, "No. DVI doesn't pass audio."
But, that isn't always true.
Hehehe...
Some video cards do pass audio through the DVI port.
I don't know how, but it MIGHT work.

I would agree that HDMI-DisplayPort is probably the better option.
Of course, if it's a monitor, it may not even have speakers.
If they are wanting to use their receiver, then some digital connection would be best.
JJ

ZoiBH

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I figured as much. but what should i do on Xbox.com/gameswithgold site? I only have an option to download it to Xbox 360 which I do not own. I do not want to miss on Deus Ex :/

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes go through the process like you are installing it to your 360. Then go to the Games and Apps app on your xbox one. Scroll all the way to the right, and you should see any Backwards Compatible games you own there. If it's a owned disc, just pop it into your xbone.

ZoiBH

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I have figured it out using YouTube video. Gosh did Microsoft complicate this. And in the end, even though I figured it out, I couldn't redeem Deus Ex. It says purchase cannot be completed now. Any ideas why?

tomasb222

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
If you are trying to load from outside the US , that could be the issue. I live right across the border and I can only get codes to work when I cross into San Diego

ZoiBH

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
If you are trying to load from outside the US , that could be the issue. I live right across the border and I can only get codes to work when I cross into San Diego

Yeah, chat with some guy from support staff revealed that. So I will miss both on Deus Ex and The Witcher 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos