Wordament Critique and Suggestions

lawofmurphy

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I have no idea if this is the right place for this but I don't know of any dedicated wordament forum.

I also realize wordament came out a while ago and this is probably old news but I've been thinking about it for a while.

I've played thousands of wordament rounds. I'm a decent player...usually score in the top 10%. My highest finish was #2. I feel as though I have a pretty good grasp on the game.

But my main critique is that wordament exclusively favors quantity of words over quality of words. Finding 130 three letter words always beats finding 80 words averaging a full letter or more.

Perhaps that's what the designers of the game intended. But was it supposed to be exclusively true? For example, there's a "Long Word" round. But the long word is "only" worth 200 points. The effort and time to find the long word never pays off. It takes 20 easy three letter words to make up the difference and players who play for speed can do that in 15 or fewer seconds.

My suggestion would be additional themes which favor longer words and tweaks to existing themes to make longer words more valuable.

- Long Word - The long word should be 400 points, not 200. That would mean finding it would be hugely beneficial. Most good players don't even try to find the long word at this point.

- 4-corners - Add a double multiplier for using 2 of the 4 corners. There is currently no benefit for using more than one.

- 4-letter minimum - There's a speed round, so there should be a 4-letter minimum round.

Sorry if this is wildly out of place!!

Max Kin

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I have no idea if this is the right place for this but I don't know of any dedicated wordament forum.

I also realize wordament came out a while ago and this is probably old news but I've been thinking about it for a while.

I've played thousands of wordament rounds. I'm a decent player...usually score in the top 10%. My highest finish was #2. I feel as though I have a pretty good grasp on the game.

But my main critique is that wordament exclusively favors quantity of words over quality of words. Finding 130 three letter words always beats finding 80 words averaging a full letter or more.

Perhaps that's what the designers of the game intended. But was it supposed to be exclusively true? For example, there's a "Long Word" round. But the long word is "only" worth 200 points. The effort and time to find the long word never pays off. It takes 20 easy three letter words to make up the difference and players who play for speed can do that in 15 or fewer seconds.

My suggestion would be additional themes which favor longer words and tweaks to existing themes to make longer words more valuable.

- Long Word - The long word should be 400 points, not 200. That would mean finding it would be hugely beneficial. Most good players don't even try to find the long word at this point.

- 4-corners - Add a double multiplier for using 2 of the 4 corners. There is currently no benefit for using more than one.

- 4-letter minimum - There's a speed round, so there should be a 4-letter minimum round.

Sorry if this is wildly out of place!!

Was also looking for an active wordament forum and this is the closest. I like your thinking on the long word because if i can't find it in the first 30sec i don't bother anymore.
On the contrary, speed is part of wordament and should not be undermined. Am not in the 140-170 words myself but those who hit that mark regularly amaze me. I would like to one day get there, my highest was 131 words. Agree on more themes and variety. My UN is Kinmax.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs