Neverwinter - Windows Central Guild Discussion

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys, I was just wondering if anyone has started watching "Stranger Things" on Netflix yet? I bring it up here because in the opening scene of the show, the 4 main kids are playing D&D and they are about to face the Demogorgon which I just thought was hilarious and perfectly timed after our push to fight him last weekend. Plus the show just has a ******** 80's synth soundtrack and a smokin/drinkin/pill popping sheriff that I miss from shows today:). If you are not watching it and are a fan of the 80's and sci-fi/horror, you need to see it!

I'm on the fourth episode and loving the show. The Demogorgon mentions are very cool, although I insist that they're pronouncing the name wrong. You're right that the soundtrack rocks too.

Iccy and I have noticed some people MIA during the week lately. Is everyone busy with other stuff, as I have been with work?

Metal Miracle

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
It really is quiet! Right now I am the only person on. I've been on quite a bit but not always at my usual times, since it's been nothing but chaos here.

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys I have been thinking about respecing Grumble. I'll post a link to what I'm thinking of using, I don't know for sure that this link is how I'll build him, I may just go full on tank but idk yet. Any comments, questions, concerns or connendrums would be appreciated, thx guys!

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I have been thinking about respecing Grumble. I'm thinking of going with a build similar to this [Mod 6] PredOborG's complete PvE guide to godlike tank Oathbound Paladin | MMOMinds any thoughts? I'm not sure though I may drop the whole healing thing an go full tank but idk yet? Any incite would be appreciated thx guys!

That's an old build though and with the recent nerf of the OP, it's likely not valid any longer. I didn't look that closely so there may be some additional tanking abilities there that are still valid though. I went with Mod 9 Protection Paladin Build | MMOMinds for mine. Mostly does well except for Orcus. I definitely cannot come close to tanking him. But every other encounter this build works well. I'm no where near the artifacts and such that he suggests though.

I did stick with the protection build. I look at it as if I wanted to just heal, I would have been a cleric :)

Matt Riddle

May 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't play a paladin so I've got no useful information for you accept I'd look at builds posted in the last week or two on mmominds and YouTube.

PS, get Wes back in here.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't play a paladin so I've got no useful information for you accept I'd look at builds posted in the last week or two on mmominds and YouTube.

PS, get Wes back in here.

I bumped into WesWes in Mantol Derith and told him he should've let us know he was leaving the guild. As he always did with guild chat, he ignored the private message. I'll never understand how someone can do that and not feel bad about it, but I've always been a talkative dude. :(

DirtBagMan

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Do we know why those folks left when weswes did? Did they join or start another guild? Just curious...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

DirtBagMan

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I need to correct the post I made regarding the Al clan. Everything I posted about myself (Brut Al 70 GWF) and Ginsu Scissorhands (70 Rogue) is correct. Minim Al is now up to a 68 HR and is closing in on 70. Prim Al has unfortunatly passed away. He got caught in an epic demogrogon that wasn't going to reap gold, and ended up alone in the dungeon with the nastys. He was not the type to quit or to leave his fellow adventurers behind, like so many others. Anyway, we're not sure, but we think Goristro planted him into the northwest rune. RIP Prim. The other error I put in the previous post, after receiving a severe head blow from Baphomet, was calling Kryst Al a cleric. He is actually a Pally and is now at level 61. Sadly still a ways from the being useful for anything other than holding my ring collection. The new guy, joining us in Neverwinter, is Miniac Al. He is a level 27 Cleric. By the way, if you see Minim and Maniac, don't stare at them. They are called freaks at home because they are considered freakishly tall and they are very sensative about it. Also, if you are wondering how Ginsu fits in the family, well, he doesn't. He is indentured to me, due to my pulling his rear from the fire when he was nearly caught with three of the giants daughters on Spinward Rise. I really have no idea what his intentions were with the three massive beauties but I can't think of anything this side of normal that he may have been up to. Well, if you see any of the clan out playing with the locals give us a shout out, and if you need any help, we're always ready to kill something, anything, whatever. Oh yeah, Fine Al, the gorgeous half-orc you see more and more running around the stronghold, is my wife. We met at a dragon's ear eating contest at Orcfest in '01. She looked really cute with dragon ear wax dripping down her fangs. I fell for her fast, and let her know how I felt by smacking her behind the ear with my great ax. She giggled like a school girl.

Peace out Adventurers
I am, and ever shall be, Brut Al, and I am forever misunderstood.

Metal Miracle

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I went with Mod 9 Protection Paladin Build | MMOMinds for mine. Mostly does well except for Orcus. I definitely cannot come close to tanking him. But every other encounter this build works well. I'm no where near the artifacts and such that he suggests though.

I did stick with the protection build. I look at it as if I wanted to just heal, I would have been a cleric :)

Link much appreciated. I just spent the evening respeccing my pally to this build. I'm not really done, of course, and I 'll have to learn to play it but I'm going to work on it when I can. The paladin-free demo run this morning convinced me that it would be quite useful to have him available.

IccyAsd

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
This is for all the Tanks out there and classes that needs deflect :p

Deflect Breakdown

You probably notice i picked different stats and race for bigenners, and end gamers, this was because of the need for deflect at lower HP and DR. will try to keep this short. keep in mind end game, hitting “DR Cap” is normal

New Player 35% DR

100,000 dmg recieved, you take 65k, if you deflect you take 32.5k less damage

End Gamer 80% DR

100,000 dmg recieved, you take 20k damage, if you deflect you take 10k less damage.

so basically once you get your DR Bolstered high, deflecting an attack has a significantly weaker effect. so minimizing deflect late game will allow you to stack higher recovery, defense, Armor Pen, whatever stats you need

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is for all the Tanks out there and classes that needs deflect :p

Deflect Breakdown

You probably notice i picked different stats and race for bigenners, and end gamers, this was because of the need for deflect at lower HP and DR. will try to keep this short. keep in mind end game, hitting ?€œDR Cap?€? is normal

New Player 35% DR

100,000 dmg recieved, you take 65k, if you deflect you take 32.5k less damage

End Gamer 80% DR

100,000 dmg recieved, you take 20k damage, if you deflect you take 10k less damage.

so basically once you get your DR Bolstered high, deflecting an attack has a significantly weaker effect. so minimizing deflect late game will allow you to stack higher recovery, defense, Armor Pen, whatever stats you need

So which stat builds up damage resistance? Is that just defense? Or is there yet another part of the game I'm missing (which, I'll admit is entirely possible).

IccyAsd

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
So which stat builds up damage resistance? Is that just defense? Or is there yet another part of the game I'm missing (which, I'll admit is entirely possible).

Only 2 stats increases Damage Resistance, Defense & AC(Armor Class) from Waist, Neck, Shield & Armor. Not all neck and waist comes with AC, example Lostmouth Hoard Necklace doesnt but Greater Lathander Cloak does.

btw just curious are you following this build ? Mod 9 Protection Paladin Build | MMOMinds

Last edited:

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Only 2 stats increases Damage Resistance, Defense & AC(Armor Class) from Waist, Neck, Shield & Armor. Not all neck and waist comes with AC, example Lostmouth Hoard Necklace doesnt but Greater Lathander Cloak does.

btw just curious are you following this build ? Mod 9 Protection Paladin Build | MMOMinds

Mostly. But in chatting with another high level Paladin, they recommended a higher deflect. In all honesty, neither seems to make much of a difference as I'm playing. When I had a higher defense before vs higher deflect now, I still die once or twice during edemo, and I consistently die on Orcus but can make it through pretty much everything else without dying. If I manage to save enough AD to get the Shadowclad enchantment (not even halfway to that one yet), then it would likely make sense to switch back to defense. It could take a while to save that much though, especially given that 2 out of 3 days, I've gotten one each of the blue marks.

AbyssianOne

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Keep in mind that how your character looks makes a difference. The cooler looking Paladins take less damage! There's a chance that's not true. It may be I really just wanted to post something and had nothing intelligent to add. I'm not sure.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who joined us during last night's stream! From our guild, PerfectZer0 and Thyrennia won companions. Another winner, Spawnofurmanas, joined the guild as well!

See the list of winners here: Battling Dragons, Demogorgon, and the Maze Engine in Neverwinter | Windows Central

And here's the full stream replay, which includes a Stronghold Dragonflight, Demogorgon, Maze Engine campaign finale, and Biggrin's Tomb in Icewind Dale.

Last edited:

IccyAsd

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Mostly. But in chatting with another high level Paladin, they recommended a higher deflect. In all honesty, neither seems to make much of a difference as I'm playing. When I had a higher defense before vs higher deflect now, I still die once or twice during edemo, and I consistently die on Orcus but can make it through pretty much everything else without dying. If I manage to save enough AD to get the Shadowclad enchantment (not even halfway to that one yet), then it would likely make sense to switch back to defense. It could take a while to save that much though, especially given that 2 out of 3 days, I've gotten one each of the blue marks.

I just checked your gear, i think you should try getting Lesser Shadowclad first as a minimum to give you some proper boost, what you had on your Armor/Weapon enchantment slots isnt really helping you. The next thing you should consider in buying is Weapon Enchantment, you have 2 choices as a tank Plague Fire or Holy Avenger get a Lesser if you are low on AD, never neglect weapon/armor enchantment because it really helps alot.

What power does you Mount give? 2k Deflect/Def/Recovery/Power ?

Just want to let everyone here know that getting to ilvl2500-2600 is consider very easy provided that you have all the resources to reach there (Ichor/Tradebar), anything above its more of a grind like having dragon hoard enchantment to save up all the refine stones you find, Wonderous Fortune mount insignia bonus, R5> enchantment drops or Seals of Adventure exchange for R5 & Lastly all the equipment drops in the world thats lvl70 from green to blue feeding the artifact equipment. Finding the right refinement stones for your artifact/artifact equipment is important as well as having the correct feeder.

There is an easy alternative boost which i take early in the game but it will require you some AD, get a none augmented companion (Defender for tank) that has 3 defense rune slots, buy 3 bonding runestone (anything above lesser), equip it with those Stronghold HE's purple item drops and some r7-r9 enchantment, make sure the companion is atleast Epic rank. If you could get your companion to have like 3k Defense when all 3 bonding runestone trigger when he attacks you would get atleast 35% x 3 Defense bonus = 1k , this may not sound alot but a Rank12 bonding runestones gives 95%, when 3x trigger you get 285%. If you are a DPS (Striker Companion, Offensive slots for power) i suppose you wont say NO to a 8-9k Power increase during combat ? :p

Edit:- i forgot to add please be aware that what stats you are focusing on for your companion, Power has no cap, Critical i would recommend not above 60% chance, Deflect not above 50%, Defense has a cap at 80% Damange Resistance, Armor Penetration at 60% capped and Life Steal is same as power no cap for this.

Im at 72-73% DR before Bonding Runestone kicks in, Portal Hound is at 4.8k Defense. It was required to go above 80% DR soft capped because it helps "Into the Frey" encounter power, the higher my DR goes = to how many % dmg output im giving party members, in future rebalance patch they are taking this away by switching it to flat 30-35% boost regardless what DR you have, so here comes the trouble im facing which i may have to switch those enchatment on my hound to Deflect / Recovery & Power, might have to change my Portal Hound entirely because i could reach 80% DR my self just with the guild boon and mount bonus..

Last edited:

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just checked your gear, i think you should try getting Lesser Shadowclad first as a minimum to give you some proper boost, what you had on your Armor/Weapon enchantment slots isnt really helping you. The next thing you should consider in buying is Weapon Enchantment, you have 2 choices as a tank Plague Fire or Holy Avenger get a Lesser if you are low on AD, never neglect weapon/armor enchantment because it really helps alot.

What power does you Mount give? 2k Deflect/Def/Recovery/Power ?

Good advice as always. So here's what I'm thinking: Bite the bullet and get decent lesser enchantments for both armor and weapon (yes, I have basically ignored them). Next, take my AD and use that towards getting my artifacts up (buying feeders, etc) to get my gear level up closer to 3k. Very few want a paladin these days, and even less so if you're below 3k. Once I can get to 3k (yes, that will take a while - I'm at 2750 now), then worry about the better enchantments. While I know that gear score isn't necessarily a good indicator on game skill, unfortunately, that's not how "everyone" else seems to look at it.

My mount is pretty useless. I'm still holding out for winning an epic one. I'm sure tomorrow will be the day!

Matthew Fifer

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Very few want a paladin these days, and even less so if you're below 3k. Once I can get to 3k (yes, that will take a while - I'm at 2750 now), then worry about the better enchantments. While I know that gear score isn't necessarily a good indicator on game skill, unfortunately, that's not how "everyone" else seems to look at it.

I hear ya on gear score not necessarily being an indicator of game skill. A couple weeks ago I pugged CN and Lostmauth on my GF. My gear score is/was around 2400, but they took me anyways even though I had never done either dungeon. We only wiped once on CN and not at all on Lostmauth. Grant it, there was a 3500 Cleric and a 3700 GWF in the group so we had pretty good dps/heals, but they were rather pleased with my tanking skills and keeping everyone up. It helped that it was 4 ppl from the same guild (plus myself) and they invited me into their chat to help with communication as well. But I am a firm believer that skill CAN outshine gear....to a point. If the cleric was weaker or the DPS was not as good, I think we would have gotten our butts kicked a lot more, despite my great tanking skills :).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire