So, no DVR for Xbox One. What other options are there?

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That's a great commercial, but you obviously didn't read my earlier post. I own a WMC PC. You don't have to sell me on it. I'm not using it, though, because I have MediaPortal, which has everything you just said plus automatic commercial skipping, skins, remote access through a Web browser, etc.

But that's not even what I was talking about. The OTA DVR is dying technology. Sure, they work and will work for a while. Hey, you could add 32 tuners if you want. I don't know why you would want that, since there aren't 32 watchable OTA channels, and it's unlikely you would want to record 32 OTA shows concurrently, but go for it.

BTW, I decided against the Tivo. My MediaPortal PC works well enough as a stop-gap. I only watch a few broadcast network shows anyway.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That's a great commercial, but you obviously didn't read my earlier post. I own a WMC PC. You don't have to sell me on it..

Not trying to SELL it to you, trying to give the benfits of what an OLD Windows 7 computer COULD do. There are MANY other people who are asking the same thing about the Xbox one DVR that might not come and what is an option for it.

For years people owned a Windows 7 PC and never even opened or looked at Windows Media Center. If everyone who used Windows 7 KNEW what it could actually do and how well it could do it, I would bet WMC would STILL be active in devolpment at Microsoft and be a major part of Windows 10.

Another great product from Microsoft that failed because Microsoft failed on marketing it. They should of released it as a addon. NOT with the OS.

The OTA DVR is dying technology. Sure, they work and will work for a while. Hey, you could add 32 tuners if you want. I don't know why you would want that, since there aren't 32 watchable OTA channels, and it's unlikely you would want to record 32 OTA shows concurrently, but go for it.

Er, ok, I guess how you use a DVR is EXACTLY what everyone else in the world uses theirs, Thanks for that insite ... As have said in the past, I setup Custom WMC machines in the past, maybe in total about 300 over the years. I have also troubleshot them ALL OVER THE WORLD. I was taking care of one in Australia 2 weeks ago. I do support and charge a flat rate for up to 2 hours.

MOST people a 4-6 tuner configuration is fine (as you THINK it is fine for everyone in the world). When you extend to a whole home with a large family, all bets are off. The largest setup I did was 24 tuners (cablecard tuners) with 10 Extenders. It was for a family that had 5 teenager kids who all watched A LOT OF TV. It gave the flexabilty for everyone in the family. They could all watch TV at the same time with different channels and be recording everything they wanted. I was activly talking to the eHome team for setup issues as stanard config out of the box is 4 of each type of tuner and 5 Extenders at the same time. And by the way, the system was 99.9% stable with very minor issues. They are still using it today.

The ONLY point I was saying was, IF someone one needed it, it COULD be done. Having a possable 32 tuners could not be done in the higest end tivo, cable box or sat box... Only one product could do it...

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
That's a great commercial, but you obviously didn't read my earlier post. I own a WMC PC. You don't have to sell me on it. I'm not using it, though, because I have MediaPortal, which has everything you just said plus automatic commercial skipping, skins, remote access through a Web browser, etc.

But that's not even what I was talking about. The OTA DVR is dying technology. Sure, they work and will work for a while. Hey, you could add 32 tuners if you want. I don't know why you would want that, since there aren't 32 watchable OTA channels, and it's unlikely you would want to record 32 OTA shows concurrently, but go for it.

BTW, I decided against the Tivo. My MediaPortal PC works well enough as a stop-gap. I only watch a few broadcast network shows anyway.

Respectfully, I think you should re-read all, all the comments in this string again, and then research in depth Windows Media Center so you can know it's true features. Windows Media Center is the only full featured "Whole House" solution in most cases, especially where cable TV is encrypted. It is the only one with a simple easy to use "UI" user interface that the whole family can happily use. (Sadly, Microsoft is totally/absolutely oblivious to the rich and amazing "UI". I wish someone would explain it to the newbies at Microsoft. Not to dismantle it and rewrite it to be 10% of the features, but to leave it alone and maybe extend and improve it.)
If you don't watch TV or Movies, or have any interest in sharing media, throughout your home, to everyone, then maybe this isn't a topic for you.

Learning to understand other peoples points of view, is hard, but I think it's worthwhile.

Best Wishes

Last edited:

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Respectfully, I think you should re-read all, all the comments in this string again, and then research in depth Windows Media Center so you can know it's true features. Windows Media Center is the only full featured "Whole House" solution in most cases, especially where cable TV is encrypted. It is the only one with a simple easy to use "UI" user interface that the whole family can happily use. (Sadly, Microsoft is totally/absolutely oblivious to the rich and amazing "UI". I wish someone would explain it to the newbies at Microsoft. Not to dismantle it and rewrite it to be 10% of the features, but to leave it alone and maybe extend and improve it.)
If you don't watch TV or Movies, or have any interest in sharing media, throughout your home, to everyone, then maybe this isn't a topic for you.

Learning to understand other peoples points of view, is hard, but I think it's worthwhile.

Best Wishes

"Respectfully," maybe you should read the SUBJECT of the thread, because we are talking about other options for the DVR functionality of the Xbox One, which was going to be OTA only with a single ATSC tuner.

I have clearly stated that I know all about WMC, CableCARD, Media Center extenders, etc. That simply is not an alternative to the Xbox One DVR functionality, which was not going to be compatible with cable, encrypted or not. There's no reason to get snotty with me because I'm staying on topic.

Honestly, I don't know why you guys are so sensitive. I didn't say anything bad about WMC specifically. I merely stated that the OTA DVR is not the future. It's not like I said your baby is ugly or your dress makes you look fat.

Last edited:

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, me and the family talked it over at length and we all decided to just quit cable and live TV all together. Seems like we were always complaining that nothing was on anyways. So we watch everything on demand, use Plex, or just catch whatever is live at the time.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, me and the family talked it over at length and we all decided to just quit cable and live TV all together. Seems like we were always complaining that nothing was on anyways. So we watch everything on demand, use Plex, or just catch whatever is live at the time.

My wife and I had the same conversation. There are only a few shows we watch on TV. Mostly, we binge watch things on Netflix or watch movies. So we buy the season passes to The Walking Dead and Mr. Robot and get HBO Now while Game of Thrones is on. That's way cheaper than a monthly cable bill.

The strange thing is my wife is a real-time captioner and her company is going to make her work from home, which means we will have to get cable just for the handful of channels she captions. I might even set up my WMC PC with CableCARD since I will have cable in the house. I don't want it, but her company is paying for it.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Tablo just introduced an app for Xbox. They previously had apps for Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, etc., but the Xbox app is new. This might be my ticket to getting rid of the TiVo boxes I have and their expensive subscription service. The Tablo box itself is cheaper than TiVo and they have a lifetime subscription that's less than 1/3 the cost of TiVo's lifetime service. The cost of the Tablo box, a 2TB HDD, and the lifetime would pay for itself in a little over a year (based on the current cost of my TiVo subscription). And the cost of all that is still cheaper than the cost of TiVo's lifetime subscription. I could then watch live or recorded TV on any device I have in my home and stream live TV or recordings on any of my registered devices even when not on my home network.

Thoughts on Tablo?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99