How to tell Xbox one vs. Xbox One S controllers... ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Anyone know this ? If you pick up a Xbox one S and Xbox one controllers then put them side by side. How can you tell the difference between them ?

I picked up a GameStop white controller a while ago, the connector on the headset looks exactly like my Xbox One S controller but, does it have blu-tooth ?

Just don't want to grab a old style controller when buying another one by mistake. From what I have seen, nothing shows a difference that I can find.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Has pictures of the controllers and discusses the difference with the plastic around the Xbox button. I believe the latest iteration of the controller (the one that comes with the Xbox One S anyway) has a textured back.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox...bleshoot-xbox-one-bluetooth-issues-windows-10

Thanks, LOL that is the ONLY way to tell the difference ? Would of loved for Microsoft to put a blu-tooth logo or something on the back cover or even under the battery cover.

My Gamestop white controller has a textured back, just like the Xbox one S but, on the Gamestop one, it's like a hard rubber and it's actually better to hold than the S controller.

Buying a spare controller that I you wanted to take advanage of the longer range might be hit or miss, it could be gamble.

I really wish Microsoft made it BLACK AND WHITE to tell the difference....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
They say it has a textured rear grip.

Yea, they say that but, My Gamestop White controller that is NOT an S controller has a textured back/grip. In fact looking over both side by side, besides the color differences, no real way to tell the difference.

Kind of a joke that there is not a CLEAR way to tell the difference between the 2....even a simple blue-tooth logo on the back or something....

Tested controllers over the weekend whole on Xbox live.... On my "S" a normal Xbox one Controller has about 1/2 the range as the new S controller... About freaking time...(360 controllers were STILL better)

Matt Brown

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, simply the biggest indicator is the plastic along the top. If it's a continuous, smooth plastic rather than a black bar, it's a new controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes