Why, Microsoft?

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
Every single time I put in a new game for the first time, it has to be installed directly onto the Xbox One itself. The whole thing!

Why? Who thought that was a good idea? That's just gonna make the 500 GB Xbox obsolete because everyone will be fishing for the 1 TB version. What was so wrong with the Xbox 360 Method of just saving the data and not the entire game, that someone had to change it?

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I shared your sentiments when I first got an Xbox one, but now, I love it and I stopped purchasing the discs. Digital all the way! Never having to swap discs, saving storage space instead of a shelf full of cases.

The only drag is for people with limited bandwidth. I understand what MS wanted to do with this system now. They were just a little ahead of the curve and people weren't ready at the time of launch.

I picked up a 1tb external drive. Storage problem solved, with added feature of game portability to take an installed game I own over to my brother's house, or a friend's house.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Every single time I put in a new game for the first time, it has to be installed directly onto the Xbox One itself. The whole thing!

Why? Who thought that was a good idea? That's just gonna make the 500 GB Xbox obsolete because everyone will be fishing for the 1 TB version. What was so wrong with the Xbox 360 Method of just saving the data and not the entire game, that someone had to change it?

how big are the games? :straight:

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
I shared your sentiments when I first got an Xbox one, but now, I love it and I stopped purchasing the discs. Digital all the way! Never having to swap discs, saving storage space instead of a shelf full of cases.

The only drag is for people with limited bandwidth. I understand what MS wanted to do with this system now. They were just a little ahead of the curve and people weren't ready at the time of launch.

I picked up a 1tb external drive. Storage problem solved, with added feature of game portability to take an installed game I own over to my brother's house, or a friend's house.

Fair points all around, but I shouldn't have to buy an external hard drive or forget discs entirely just to have the best experience.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
My hang-up is the disks. Some of the early games that my kids installed from disk cannot be played without the disk that they "misplaced". Is there a way to convert disk installed games to digital so the disk is no longer needed?

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
My hang-up is the disks. Some of the early games that my kids installed from disk cannot be played without the disk that they "misplaced". Is there a way to convert disk installed games to digital so the disk is no longer needed?

From my experience, you either buy it digitally or physically and you're stuck with whichever.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Not that I know of. But this was my biggest reason for going all digital. It didn't take too many lost $60 games to convince me.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

It has everything to do with BD read/seek speeds.... If you look back at the 360 vs PS3.... 360 had DVD and you didn't have to install a game to HD.... PS3 had to install to HD because of performance issues.

Since both XB1 and PS4 use BD, you have to install first.

Which is why I've switched primarily to digital copies of games. Never had luck selling games cartridge / CD/ DVD because I always seem to wait too long to get any value out of them on the used market.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I can symapthise with this. I recently got an Xbox One-S with Forza. I couldn't even use the console until I figured out why the Xbox couldn't connect to wifi to finish setup (Windows doesn't force you like that). After that, a nice 60GB download for Gears of War 4 and a slightly smaller download for the physical copy of Forza Horizon 3. I really like Forza Horizon 3 but, every time I play it, it usually needs an update which puts me off, as I wait for yet another download to complete. Sadly, this is the gaming world we now live in, and, as said, BD has to be installed first too.

I guess, if you have super fast internet, it isn't that much of a big deal. Sadly though, I don't.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I can symapthise with this. I recently got an Xbox One-S with Forza. I couldn't even use the console until I figured out why the Xbox couldn't connect to wifi to finish setup (Windows doesn't force you like that). After that, a nice 60GB download for Gears of War 4 and a slightly smaller download for the physical copy of Forza Horizon 3. I really like Forza Horizon 3 but, every time I play it, it usually needs an update which puts me off, as I wait for yet another download to complete. Sadly, this is the gaming world we now live in, and, as said, BD has to be installed first too.

I guess, if you have super fast internet, it isn't that much of a big deal. Sadly though, I don't.

But even when you have a super fast connection it still stinks.

I only get a few minutes late at night on occasional days to play my Xbox One. Often times I just want to turn it on, play my game, and be done with it!

But if the game I want to play has to be updated before I can start then there goes several minutes of potential playing time. Even on a 100mb connection it still takes time to download gigs of data. And then you have to wait for the install process itself.

When it does happen I just move on to another game. Oh and the fact that a new game sometimes takes an hour install stinks too. Still haven't played my Call of Duty that I got for Christmas because of how long it took to install and update.

Thankfully my NHL 15 still plays even without wifi and is too old to need updates!

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
There are settings that allow updates to happen in the background. I have mine set to that. I also have mine set to turn off after six hours. This is more than enough time to perform these updates even on a slower connection.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
There are settings that allow updates to happen in the background. I have mine set to that. I also have mine set to turn off after six hours. This is more than enough time to perform these updates even on a slower connection.

I was going to ask if the games can update in the background so that you can leave the device on during the times you're busy so that the games update and are ready for you when you're free

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

It's a good option for those who have unlimited data (or high data limits) through their ISP. I unfortunately don't have that luxury so I leave that option off and only update the games as I play them. If I were to leave it to update automatically, with multiple games requiring several GB's of updates each month, those updates would chew through my data cap so fast.

Tomas Boiko

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
If that would be possible I would buy 1 game and give it to all my friends to install it as well and then I would sell the game and another millions of people would do the same. So basically you need one game so everyone can play it for free!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Personaly I hate this. So, let's see your feelings here. Coming from a 25mb/15mb internet net connection (fair and a lot faster than a lot of people, although I would like a litlte faster). Modern games...let's see Mafia 3, Titanfall 2, Watch Dogs 2, Gears 4... all of these games are at LEAST 45gb and most of them are closer to 60gb.

So, I did a compare of installing, one both about 60gb, One I ordered digitally and one I picked up a retail disc and did a basic time (watching a clock), the digital one took almost 3 hours before it was playable online (Ready to play only allows signle player and in a lot of cases allows you to load the menu but, do nothing else). This was a 60gb game with a 1.5gb update...

On the pysical disk, it took 45 min(closer to an hour) before it was ready to play this included a 2.2gb update. So if you get home from work and you want to buy a game to play tonight(say a Friday night), you DONT want to buy the digital game, you want to run to the store to buy it.

No matter how people feel this a where Microsoft is going to go and how possable this is great. Even my ISP Comcast has a hidden CAP of downloads, it's 250gb (it's in the fine print, read it), if you go over it once, they can send you an email but, if you keep going over it, they hold the right to cancel your account. It's possable that a 4K game on scorpio could be up towardeds 100gb a game (look at some high end PC games). Downloading 2-3 games puts me where I could get my ISP canceled.

I also have a 2tb drive connected to my system but, the other day I booted up my WiiU... Wanted to play some MarioKart 8 (fun game)... I dropped in the disk and about 30 seconds later I was playing the game, No install to the hard drive, needing extra hardware because games are so HUGE. There is something to be said here for classic gaming...

Then there is always the other side of the physical vs. digital games. 20-25 years from now, when the Xbox one is just a memory. Xbox live is NO longer available for the Xbox one, Xbox one S, or Scorpio (what ever its going to be named), and with Microsoft, it's just a matter of time before they kill support (look at past version of Windows or even the original Xbox). So in this time, people will want to play their CLASSIC games, with No Xbox live on the Xbox one systems.... If you own a digital game, you MIGHT not be able to get your game any more but, if I drop in a physical game, I should be able to play it...

And your digital game 10 years from now, still has the same cash value as it has now... NOTHING. 10 years from now, the pysical game could be worth good money.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Reposting my response from another thread.

"Welcome to the world of modern gaming. Regardless of which platform Xbox One, PS4 and PC, 50 gb is already the norm.

This is a frustration of mine, living in a third world country like the Philippines with a 3mbps broadband connection is a challenge.
These games sizes are a pain. It varies per title.

When I got my Xbox One and a handful of games back in January. Updating it is the first step then when you insert the disc the console will prompt you to install the game first, after that has been completed it will then prompt you to update it.

Make sure in Settings, you go to the "Power Options" and make sure that "Power Saver" is unchecked and "instant on" is checked.
This will allow your Xbox One to download updates in the background even though the main unit is turned off (Make sure it's plugged into the power outlet though)

So while I was asleep and at work, it downloaded without me having to leave the console on. Good thing my internet connection has no cap.

Hope this helps "

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
suggestion on what to expect when getting an external hard drive for your Xbox One.

Tests show that the Xbox One's internal hard drive is pretty slow and that sticking even just a regular external hard drive improves load times by a good margin.

The Xbox One hard drive upgrade guide
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xbox-one-external-hard-dri ve-upgrade-guide

Should you upgrade Xbox One with an SSD?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-should-you-upgrade-your-xb ox-one-with-an-ssd

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
suggestion on what to expect when getting an external hard drive for your Xbox One.

Tests show that the Xbox One's internal hard drive is pretty slow and that sticking even just a regular external hard drive improves load times by a good margin.

The Xbox One hard drive upgrade guide
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xbox-one-external-hard-dri ve-upgrade-guide

Should you upgrade Xbox One with an SSD?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-should-you-upgrade-your-xb ox-one-with-an-ssd

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6