Are you going to shell out $500 (or more) for Xbox One X?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Hey all,

It’s official! The “Project Scorpio” Xbox is called Xbox One X. And it’s pretty, pretty, pretty damn impressive, at least in my opinion. There’s glorious 4K support. It’s powered by eight CPU cores clocked at 2.3GHz, 12GB of GDDR5 RAM and a GPU packing 40 Radeon compute units running at 1172 MHz. (Check out a full list of specs here.)

But there’s also a pretty, pretty, pretty hefty price tag associated with Xbox One X.

So, the big question: Are you going to buy the new console? Do you feel like it’s worth $500 (or more depending on the different models that are released? If so, will you preorder it as soon as possible? And if not, why not?

I’m on the fence. I don’t own a 4K TV, so that’s no huge draw for me. The price is not insignificant, and I’m not sure I really need everything the Xbox One X has to offer.

Your turn! Let us know whether or not you plan to be an Xbox One X owner.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Is this going to be abbreviated as XOX or XBOX?

I probably won't buy it at launch unless more details come out regarding VR/MR. That would be the one thing that would get me to upgrade at this point. I already have an S hooked up to my 4k TV in the living room that doesn't get much play time so I would probably replace my original One in the office that I do most of my playing on with one of these.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I will get one sooner than later, to hook up a new Sony Z9D purchased a couple months back. I have an Xbox One hooked up now, and will probably move it to the Panasonic Plasma upstairs.

Can anyone tell me MSFT's policy for having two consoles?

WP_20170605_09_31_12_Pro.jpg

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Is this going to be abbreviated as XOX or XBOX?

I probably won't buy it at launch unless more details come out regarding VR/MR. That would be the one thing that would get me to upgrade at this point. I already have an S hooked up to my 4k TV in the living room that doesn't get much play time so I would probably replace my original One in the office that I do most of my playing on with one of these.

1x?

Yeah, I probably won't buy it at launch either. Thinking I might wait for the first price drop before upgrading.

N11

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

It’s official! The “Project Scorpio” Xbox is called Xbox One X. And it’s pretty, pretty, pretty damn impressive, at least in my opinion. There’s glorious 4K support. It’s powered by eight CPU cores clocked at 2.3GHz, 12GB of GDDR5 RAM and a GPU packing 40 Radeon compute units running at 1172 MHz. (Check out a full list of specs here.)

But there’s also a pretty, pretty, pretty hefty price tag associated with Xbox One X.

So, the big question: Are you going to buy the new console? Do you feel like it’s worth $500 (or more depending on the different models that are released? If so, will you preorder it as soon as possible? And if not, why not?

I’m on the fence. I don’t own a 4K TV, so that’s no huge draw for me. The price is not insignificant, and I’m not sure I really need everything the Xbox One X has to offer.

Your turn! Let us know whether or not you plan to be an Xbox One X owner.

There should be a "I'm going to buy the Xbox One S model" option. Come on.

Ron-F

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes but I am in no hurry as I don't have a 4K TV and thus, there is little reason to not enjoy my regular Xbox One for a longer time.

passin

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I will not be pre-ordering it even though I have a 4k TV and would love to own this.

I will either hold out until a price drop or if they bring back the trade in program (like they had for 360 to One) then I will do that.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I've purchased every version of the Xbone... But man, this 1GB HDD (saw on Kotaku) is really puzzling to me. I'm not trying to get an SSD (although it would be nice), but at least a SSHD like the Xbone Elite. Heck, I have extras here and wouldn't mind putting one inside, if it's possible.

The black finish is pretty sexii though.

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The price wouldn't bother me at all. I don't mind paying a fair bit for something that gets used a lot, e.g. a phone which helps me do my job better, a console that is the centre of our entertainment system. Some people spend more a year on basic cable. If it's clearly the best tool for the job, the difference between $400 and $500 is not a dealbreaker to me.

The only question is whether it is enough of an upgrade for our purposes. We don't have a 4K TV, so the practical improvements are minimal. If we were buying a new console with a 4K TV, we would probably go ahead and future-proof it with an X now, even though we don't really care that much about what the X offers which the S doesn't (we use it more for media than games).

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I might eventually get one, but the $499 price is a no go for me. I upgraded my X1 to an X1S a few months ago during a flash sale at gamestop that made it an even trade, and love it. I enjoy both UHD discs and streaming, but have noticed that HDR is significantly more important than static resolution, which is already available on the X1S. I was hoping and praying that MS would announce Dolby Vision HDR support now that it can be implemented in software instead of a dedicated chip like my TV has.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well...I don't think the One X is worth 500€ at 1TB of storage. At all. If it had a minimum of 2TB then sure.
I'm also not quite interested in paying over 500€ for extra storage. But we haven't seen any bundles yet either. I think it's too soon to make a decision.
And I'm definitely not pre-ordering it. Not when a month later come the Christmas deals...I mean...come on! You know it will be put on Christmas offerings.

Now, would I enjoy the benefits from the One X? Absolutely. I already have the house with 4K TVs installed throughout and the one I have my consoles connected too has HDR, OLED display etc etc. But that still doesn't mean I'm willing to give 500€ for a 1TB console.

Will I ever buy the One X, though? Yes. Almost certainly. Why? Because I just can't seem to resist shinny new things, even when I know they are not offering me real value over what I already have.
Take the One S, for example. I bought the Gears of War 4 Special Edition. Why? Because of how it looked. Have I ever even turned on GoW4? No. Have I even installed it? No. Do I even like GoW4? Not really.
So I'm pretty sure the same futility that made be buy that One S will end up making me buy a One X.

For now, I'm telling myself "You'll not buy that console until there's a complete UI overhaul on the Xbox". And, to be honest, the Xbox's current horrible UI is the thing most effectively keeping me from even pre-ordering the One X and ignoring my own advice.

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
No problem with two consoles as far as I know, I currently have a phat XB1 and an XB1S working simultaneously (one in the living room, the other in the bedroom), and I play games without any issues on either one. Also part of the reason why I'm going full digital with this generation.

78Bandit

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I've got a 1080p TV that is six years old and still running fine. Until that thing craps out and I get a 4K TV I don't see any compelling need to get the new One X. I'm glad Microsoft is insisting on complete compatibility with the original Xbox One for all games, it lets me run my current setup for a couple of more years without worrying about missing out on anything that will be released during that time.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't bring enough to the table for me, improved visuals are nice but for all the power they are touting I expect something above what every other console is offering. As it stands Sony can also boast of "4K" 60FPS, the One S already plays 4K Blu Ray so that leaves the One X offering not much more IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel