What is ONE Xbox Live feature we still don't have that you really wish we did?

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So Microsoft has been adding tons of new features to Xbox Live over time, we now have Arena tournaments and custom gamerpics, to name just a couple.

However, there's still tons of features that PSN and Steam and other gaming platforms have that Xbox Live is still missing. What are some of your biggest feature requests?

For me, I really want to see gifting and wishlists hit Xbox Live, they could throw in basket purchasing too so we don't have to go around individually selecting different movies/games during sales etc. What do you think?

ucyimDa_Ruler

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
So Microsoft has been adding tons of new features to Xbox Live over time, we now have Arena tournaments and custom gamerpics, to name just a couple.

However, there's still tons of features that PSN and Steam and other gaming platforms have that Xbox Live is still missing. What are some of your biggest feature requests?

For me, I really want to see gifting and wishlists hit Xbox Live, they could throw in basket purchasing too so we don't have to go around individually selecting different movies/games during sales etc. What do you think?

Upcoming DVR is what I always wanted.

I was stupid when I bought the XBOX. I live by a single rule - "Never buy technology for what it can do tomorrow. Buy it for what it can do today."

Summer Update took away voice navigation on UWP applications like Groove and Netflix. After severe complaining I found out the SDK doesn't yet support it. I can't multitask like cook in the kitchen and navigate around apps anymore.

Microsoft is killing my rule because they abandon features without much notice and consideration that people purchased the product for it.

Nima Chalebyani

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Spotify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With playback functions during gaming.

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Summer Update took away voice navigation on UWP applications like Groove and Netflix. After severe complaining I found out the SDK doesn't yet support it. I can't multitask like cook in the kitchen and navigate around apps anymore.

Microsoft is killing my rule because they abandon features without much notice and consideration that people purchased the product for it.

This more than anything has really disappointed me. I spent the money on 2 Xbox One's both with Kinnects so I could use the voice navigation, and now it's largely gone. Sure I can still launch and app with my voice, but I can't really control it beyond that except for playing and pausing.

I would love to be able to set any app as a default startup app. Not just TV. I recently cut the cord and would be really happy if I could have Hulu open upon startup since that's now where I get my live TV from.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

PC games to XBOX streaming

BillGriffin724

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I'm still waiting for the XBox One to be a Miracast receiver so that I can project my Surface onto my TV via the XBox without using some external dongle. Windows 10 PCs can be a receiver. Why can't the XBox One do the same since it is running Windows 10 as well? Why didn't the "Wireless Display" app ever ship?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

A fast UI :p

But seriously, it's slow and messy looking.

Also, for Cortana to function more like Alexa with the ability to control multiple aspects of a smart home, set calendar info, read audio books, and other stuff.

QBiG1970

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site

Refunds, when a game isn't what I expected, also CORTANA, still no Cortana in Netherlands!

gregsedwards

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so this isn't specifically an Xbox Live rant, but here goes:

Xbox needs full mouse and keyboard support, at least in the non-game parts of the UI. And I suppose I'd like to see Bluetooth support along with that, at least as an option for non-gaming audio and peripherals. The thing is, I use my Xbox One as a media device probably more than I do as a gaming machine. I like that I can use the Chatpad as a keyboard, and it's cool that I can plug wired headphones into the controller, but that controller is literally covered with buttons and triggers that can destroy my watching/listening experience with one errant touch. I still have a few HTPCs around my home, and I much prefer the way I can simply use any pair of Bluetooth headphones I want.

I'd also like to see improvements in Cortana-based voice commands throughout the UI. My nearby Alexa-powered Echo Dot puts the Cortana-powered Xbox voice commands to shame, both in terms of responsiveness and natural interactivity. At the very least, they need to come up with a way that saying "Hey Cortana" isn't required between literally. every. freaking. command. Also, they need to figure out a way to stagger Cortana-powered voice interactions across multiple devices. For instance, when I say, "Hey Cortana," within earshot of my Xbox, Windows phone, and PC, they all go into full-blown panic mode, and typically two of the three come back with "I'm sorry, I can't do this right now. Check back again after future updates." Ideally, one of those needs to tell the other two, "I got this." Maybe even a priority you can assign to devices. Something.

They absolutely must figure out a better way for families to share content. I don't think I really appreciated the importance of this until I had multiple Xboxes in my home. For instance, the Xbox in my living room is my home console, but when my kids want to play Overwatch against each other, then I have to log into the secondary console first and then switch to my son's profile, so he can play. This is because I own the actual license for the game. And if my Kinect happens to see me wandering back through the living room in the middle of a match, then it instantly logs me out upstairs and ruins the kids' match. Sure, I could buy separate licenses for each kid, but c'mon! While I appreciate the need to properly license and restrict content, there should be some kind of inclusive family licensing that balances the ability for a reasonable number of simultaneous instances to be run by anyone in the family.

There needs to be some way to guarantee input consistency for the soft keyboard/voice stuff. Some apps still use that weird, Xbox 360-era linear keyboard, while others like YouTube seem to roll their own entirely, which doesn't offer any kind of voice support. Either force app publishers to support the system-level keyboard, or provide some way of overriding it in apps that don't provide uniform support. If mobile apps aren't allowed to customize the input UI, then Xbox apps shouldn't be able to do it, either.

Come with a simpler way for me to buy games for my kids. I might like to give my son his own digital copy of Overwatch (see above rant), but as soon as the Store sees it's already installed on the console (albeit under my login), then it replaces the "Buy" link with "Launch." It doesn't even provide an option to purchase it again. Regardless, the few times I have actually purchased content for my kids under their profiles, it has required me awkwardly putting a set amount of money in their MSAs from my credit card, which they can then spend on the game. I should be able to buy a specific title for someone else, and then just give them a code for it.

I actually really like the parental control stuff, but it's too focused on me physically logging into the console to grant exceptions and extensions. My kids should be able to send a request, which I can pick up and respond to via my phone (either through the Xbox app or just a simple web form).

ferafv

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Well I'd like to have game streaming by server to play games in my windows mobile or in my surface anywhere. Today I don't understand why the function of streaming by wifi was suspended. Other thing is the option to sell or give my digital games to other users.

Lothario#CB

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
...they abandon features without much notice and consideration that people purchased the product for it.

This. It's just rude. I purchased this device as a multipurpose console: a game console and an entertainment console. The gaming minority whined and much of the original entertainment focus got nerfed so that the console is truly "game first" now. Voice navigation, gesture navigation (with kinect). These things were insanely cool when it was first released but have moved away. I also used to be able to use my xbox remote for most things. Now most of my apps (notably, the new Spectrum app) don't really support it. Not to mention the DVR wish item.

I don't mind adding new things for gamers. I'm a gamer. I have many games on this thing. I do mind it coming at the cost of all the other forms of entertainment that the console previously supported. (the new "home" still sucks).

What do I want? More "other" entertainment focus and support for the third party app makers so they will add/upgrade their xbox win 10 apps.

Aaron McCarthy

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm still waiting for the XBox One to be a Miracast receiver so that I can project my Surface onto my TV via the XBox without using some external dongle. Windows 10 PCs can be a receiver. Why can't the XBox One do the same since it is running Windows 10 as well? Why didn't the "Wireless Display" app ever ship?

This is pretty much the number one feature I am looking for as well!

Aaron McCarthy

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
The Cortana thing bugs me too. My main living space is fairly open concept. So even though the Xbox one and my PC are probably 15 or 20 feet apart. When I am in the living room and ask Cortana something my PC picks it up too (as well as my lumia 950 xl). It's at the point where I really don't use Cortana to interact on my PC knowing that the Xbox (and my phone) will pick it up to. I don't know how they could implement the proximity or priority aspect of this BUT letting us change the key words to call up Cortana, or just the ability to rename Cortana would help with this drastically. Before the big update on Xbox you would say "Xbox... On" or whatever. If we could just rename Cortana to "Xbox" even that would be helpful.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site

A integrated TV tuner and DVR capabilities. I could go on and on about the reasons why, but in the age of cord cutting it seems like would be such a discriminator over competing consoles. It really doesn't cost much, my only thought is that MS might feel this would anger partners, but I don't see it that way (except for maybe cable companies, but they all suck anyways). The more cord cutters there are, the more people subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Sling, and rent movies potentially from MS themselves.

Eric Hamilton

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The OTA DVR needs to show up. But I know now that it will not. The cable companies don't need the competition, so they sent a wise guy over to Microsoft and said, "So, it be a shame if sumpthen happens to yas if the DVR feature was added to the Xbox!!" So, Microsoft caved in to the pressure and now, no OTA DVR, because the Cable companies don't need it to be easy for cable cutters to be able to record TV off the air.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

I was stupid when I bought the XBOX. I live by a single rule - "Never buy technology for what it can do tomorrow. Buy it for what it can do today."

You are not the only one. I gave up my Media Center when I saw them demo the DVR. What a fool I was.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

I can send stuff to my Xbox with my Android phone but not with my W10M. SMH.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb