What does your Xbox One TV setup look like?

Matt Brown

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I primarily use my Xbox One for games, so have little experience with using the console as a device for live TV. For those invested in the console and its media capabilities, do you have any recommendations as for hardware and accessories from third parties?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
You can watch "Live" TV through the HDMI in or you can buy the USB Xbox TV dongle.

I am in the UK and Humax is considered decent FreeView or FreeSat boxes, I have used a Humax Freeview box in the past but it died, so have been using the dongle for the last year, there are many other options, I don't know if there is a list of makers/devices that are supported or not.

I have a 100w 7.1 Pioneer receiver hooked up but I only use a centre and a pair of Sony speakers at the moment (Not really into surround sound) but I should be getting my 40 year old Tannoy Cheviots speakers from my house that being sold soon and they will get hooked up (No need for a sub with these).

And for the TV I have a 65 inch Panasonic 4k 3D TV.

Just waiting for the Xbox One X to complete the 4k bit.

Have a read of the stickied thread at the top of the page for other setups, but there are just so many options.

TheRealScottR

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm still a Media Center guy, so I'm running 2 HDhomerun primes. Using the HDhomerun app rarely, and Plex for recorded shows transfered using MCEBuddy.

Honestly though, for TV I still use the Xbox 360 as a media center extender. Wish the Xbox one would add support for recording and time shifting in one guide using HDhomerun primes. Would allow me to get rid of the 360. And maybe even lose win 8 on my media center pc.

We are the 1%

Younes Mirzaie

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
a 43" LG 4k led and an original XO without Kinect which is gonna be replaced with the X soon. That's all, I just play games on it. For multimedia, I use the TV's Web OS since original Xbox one doesn't run 4K media.

Isaac_Hanninen

Jun 12, 2017
Visit site
55" 4k curved Samsung. Sonos surround sound. Xbone w/Kinect. great for watching shows or playing games can't wait to hook up that X.B.O.X in November

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
For my "media" Xbox One in my living room I have the following:
- Xfinity X1 HD through HDMI in
- Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One (USB)
- Mohu TV Antenna for the USB tuner
- 3TB Western Digital HDD inside Nyko enclosure
- Samsung 55" 3D LED HDTV
- Samsung Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer
- PDP Talon Media Remote for Xbox One
- Xbox One Kinect that brings it all together and without it the whole setup falls apart.

Being able to switch between local OTA channels, Xfinity/Comcast TV channels, and app channels (Hulu, Movies & TV, etc.) and fully control my TV and sound system all with one remote or by voice has spoiled my family. It's an awesome setup that we have and has taken what used to be a chunky setup into one that is streamlined. You really don't know how great it is until you pull the Kinect off which is what I did one day so I could broadcast on my other Xbox One.

Kinect is a must to control everything via one remote otherwise. Having to switch back to TV remote, sound system remote, Xfinity remote, and then Xbox One remote or controller sucks.

One thing I do suggest is that for OTA antennas, make sure you get one that will go into your attic or outside as the Mohu leaf that I have doesn't work well in doors. Once I have some extra cash, I'm replacing it with one I can stick into my attic.

FreeJACLive

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Same as some of the others here. I do have the Hauppauge Xbox One tuner for OTA live TV. I have been using it for the news in the morning while I work. ( I recently moved my Xbox One into my office) My HDMI In port seems to be broken however. I switch to that input in the app and it no longer switches and it removes itself from the channel list. I used to use a Chromecast v1 or an MS Wireless display adapter on that port for other streaming content from other sources such as flash enabled web browser from my Surface 2 tablet.

Durahl

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
This is what it looks like...

SONY KD-75S9005B backlit by Ambilight Clone LED System.

Works through use of my PC but by streaming the Xbox's footage to it one can have it there too.

Here's a video of it in action:

Couldn't live without it anymore... Even after I stopped watching TV for like 4-5 years by now.

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Our system is pieced together from components collected over the years.

• Xbox One - 1 TB with Kinect
  • Hitachi 55R7 55" 4K Roku TV
  • Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One (USB)
  • Insignia (Best Buy brand) TV/Xbox remote auto backlit (with QWERTY keyboard on reverse side)3533217_sc.jpg
  • Kenwood receiver VR-307 (100 watts x 5 channels)
  • Velodyne powered subwoofer CT100 (100 watts)
  • JBL 4311B - front speakers (35 years old and still awesome)
  • JBL J50 - rear speakers
  • No center speaker
  • Roof mounted TV antenna (we have way too many channels now)

All inputs go through the TV and with an optical (SPDIF) output from the TV feeding the receiver. Whatever is connected to the TV gets fed to the speakers and rattles the walls. We recently learned how to output 5.1 from the Xbox. That was a little freaky hearing voices coming from behind me while playing games. It actually improved gameplay because I could locate where sounds were coming from.

The Roku in the TV allows for Continuum using my Lumia 950. We also have a Microsoft Wireless Adapter connected to one of the TV inputs. A wireless USB keyboard with trackpad dongle is plugged into the back of the Xbox for chatting on Twitch. We have a Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad for use with the Lumia 950 on Continuum.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss