How do you feel about the Xbox 2017 fall update?

DonTron

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
The Xbox 2017 fall update is here, bringing tons of new features.

Now that it's out to the public, what do you think? Improvement or downgrade?

I'll forward the feedback to Microsoft too. :))

*****Convoluted Mess**** This new Fall 2017 Dashboard is my least favorite dashboard in my 15+ years of Xbox live (Gold). It's without a doubt the worst User Experience to date. Take this with the knowledge that I am a QA tester of software and have a couple decades of experience testing countless user interfaces. Microsoft needs to demote the people that thought this was a positive improvement to the platform. It had me swearing like sailor in the first 2 minutes of use. I absolutely hate it (see i'm keeping my words PG). The whole thing is a convoluted mess. Just the simple things like getting a friend to a chat party is worse than before. I was not a big fan of the previous dashboard, but it is miles better than this. I feel bad for all existing users and most especially anyone new to xbox who sees this for the first time. It's 2017 MS, why are you going backwards, it should be going forwards. Extremely underwhelmed and disappointed. ****Convoluted Mess****

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Looks decent enough. Not yet very intuitive but like all things, I just need a couple of days to get used to it.
Maybe in the weekend I can explore the UI some more.

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Really impressed so far. It's all so much faster. I have always had some form of lag since 2013. So far not a single bit of lag. The new Quick menu is a joy. Makes so much more sense to go horizontal than vertical. Because now you can RB and LB quick press through the menus. Love the light theme. And 1080p 60 mins captures are brilliant. Everything about the quick menu is just much better than the old up and down menu. The home screen also is so much more customisable. It's a night and day difference update this one. Spot in.

Taylor Bosch

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
Response to the new Interface:

The first day the new dash was available, I was playing with a friend. Xbox party continuously disconnected, requiring us to reconnect (not sure if related). It was here that the deficiencies of the new dashboard really showed. Inviting a friend to a party now takes several extra steps, as does going into the party to manage it (to add insult to injury, THEY'RE DIFFERENT STEPS). Suffice to say, this alone is a serious downgrade to the smooth tap left to access party/ friends.

Switching to a game that isn't pinned now requires you to go to the far left corner, tab over, go home, rinse repeat until you are at your games and apps, and then find the game. Again, this is an unessecary number of steps for something that used to be easy.

Thus far, I have not found a single positive about the new interface. At all. Anything new is either too niche, or drowned by the negatives.

Overall, this is a good summary of the new system. Unintuitive, harder and slower to use, and possibly glitch ridden. The last dash wasn't perfect, but I sure miss it now.

Snaglog

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
The Xbox 2017 fall update is here, bringing tons of new features.

Now that it's out to the public, what do you think? Improvement or downgrade?

I'll forward the feedback to Microsoft too. :))

Absolutely awful, bad enough for me to Google it, read a post online and then join this forum just to moan about it.

What were they thinking?

Everything takes longer to do. Recording clips of a different length now takes longer and more clicks, which is something nobody wants to do in the middle of a game.

If you're signed in to multiple profiles you have to swap to the profile that's in the party to see who's in the party which takes longer.

Randomly parties can't hear if you're signed in to other profiles and sometimes they can.

When I first got the update it swapped my right and left headphones so enemies on my left would appear on my right. This seems to have sorted itself out.

My turtle beach volume controller now works as 2 volume controls rather than a volume control and a chat/game mixer.

Some games such as Rocket league are now unplayable. Since the update many times I have tried to play rocket league but it won't recognise my controller in the game. I can bring up the dashboard and play other stuff fine but that game is unresponsive. Either that or it let's me play a game and then after 5 seconds after each kick off, I can't turn left or right.

As I'm typing this my Spotify just crashed.

I can see absolutely no positives to this update.

To me it seems like they're trying to break everyone's machines to force them to lay out loads of money on the new Xbox.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Good responses all, will forward this to MS. I kinda feel like the fluent design implementation needs work, but that's true across all of Windows 10. Not a fan of it atm.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually surprised how good looking the light theme looks for the Xbone dashboard.

I don't use it though because I play in a dark room so it may hurt my eyes.

Marco Cazares

Nov 21, 2017
Visit site
Hello, this new update caused my Xbox to show a dim setting on my dashboard and even when I'm playing a game. I've don't the 10 second reboot, I've changed the wiring, I even raised the brightness of my TV but it doesn't look right. Any idea on why this is happening? How can I fix this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos