Windows Mixed Reality and Xbox One X

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
So today i went into PC world in the UK and got to try the Lenovo mixed reality headset. First impressions were great. I had only tried PSVR before and instantly noticed the resolution was so much clearer. No blur whatsoever. And the detail in the visuals was immense.

Half way through the space demo I asked the Rep for MS cheekily are they bringing this to Xbox One X next year? His reply was amazing. He said that they are under strict guidelines not to answer that specific question. He also said every single rep and even companies like Lenovo have been telling MS that's what they needs to happen. And they want it. With AR and all. He said on the sly all he could say was we will know next Summer. E3 I said??? Yes he replied.

Honestly the VR and AR aspects I used were so good. It could recognise the store shelves I was by and everything. It was weird walking and it picking up everything around me. Truly was incredible. And it works with any game made for Vive and Oculus.

What are tour thoughts?

Attachments

• Lenovo-mixed-reality-headset-1.jpg
    Lenovo-mixed-reality-headset-1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 29

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft is clearly putting a whole of resources into WMR. And it's clear that gaming will play a big role in the future of WMR. I think the timeframe is not at all clear at this point, but it seems like a no-brainer that Microsoft will attempt to merge WMR and Xbox gaming in some way, at some ponit.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, also disappointing. I was hoping we'd get FM7 in VR. I was sad to see that fail, then thought maybe we'd get an early-2018 push for VR with WMR headsets out. That we're apparently going to be waiting another full year is plain lame. My thought was to get WMR for my PC because XB1X would adopt it, then I'd move my XB1S to an XB1X as well. Hearing this, it feels like MS is going to again let content for a new product lag behind the competition considerably, if they're waiting until what would likely be holiday 2018 to push content.

So, now I'm rethinking what I want. I could go WMR now anyway, or I could go with Rift or Vive, then go WMR when Microsoft actually proves it will push content for WMR worth getting excited about, and grab the second generation releases that would probably join the XB1X push...hmm...

Achike Da

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
So today i went into PC world in the UK and got to try the Lenovo mixed reality headset. First impressions were great. I had only tried PSVR before and instantly noticed the resolution was so much clearer. No blur whatsoever. And the detail in the visuals was immense.

Half way through the space demo I asked the Rep for MS cheekily are they bringing this to Xbox One X next year? His reply was amazing. He said that they are under strict guidelines not to answer that specific question. He also said every single rep and even companies like Lenovo have been telling MS that's what they needs to happen. And they want it. With AR and all. He said on the sly all he could say was we will know next Summer. E3 I said??? Yes he replied.

Honestly the VR and AR aspects I used were so good. It could recognise the store shelves I was by and everything. It was weird walking and it picking up everything around me. Truly was incredible. And it works with any game made for Vive and Oculus.

What are tour thoughts?

Achike Da

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes! Yes! Yes! E3 2018! Bring steam VR games to MS store, then do the wizardary that is programing, and allow the Xbox X be used as a VR gaming machine.
If they do that, MSFT will knock the competition (PSVR & apple VR) outta the water. MSFT will make a slice out of every VR game sold. And with the vast array and options of VR headsets and controllers out there, hardware makers will keep flocking to MSFT.
A ton more people will jump aboard the VR train if the Xbox X does VR. The cost of buying a VR spec'd laptop or desktop is currently a limiting factor.

Nigel Perrymond

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
In my opinion, it would be the ultimate console, VR plus Xbox X. Microsoft has long been a fan of VR and Mixed Reality. In the future I'm certain VR headsets will become more affordable allowing Microsoft to bring it home in the next console with a VR headset, Dynamic Games and integration down to Andromeda.

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I think it was one of MS's giant missteps. I wanted to jump on the WMR bandwagon but would require a new computer to handle it. Considering the timing, it'd be great if I could replace my XBox One(original) with an X and a WMR headset and kill two birds with one stone. Rather than doing what they are wanting us to do(get a new computer with WMR *AND* an XBox One-X), I've just went "meh" and skipping all three.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I'd be more surprised if MR/AR's not coming to xbox tbh. It's no brainer, only question is when.
However, the library still need work. MR without Hololens's spatial mapping capability, is just VR.
And I don't think VR can really work in our home environment. It's very limited. It won't fit in arcade either because of the hygiene problem, you need someone taking care of the devices and handing the hygiene mask to your customers. Amusement park is where VR can do best.

Back to MR, I'll give a MR example.
Imagine, you boot up Forza and the software recognize your room, knowing where your chair or sofa is. You point at it in the virtual world, click, game knows the height of your chair and render a car on top of it. You can walk around, open door, take out the parts, and when you're done, go sit on the chair, look at the wheel, and start your engine. UI flies in, start the race, the race track, engine sounds and crowd start to fade in, you are on the racing track.
I'd freaking want to try this in FH3, driving on the Hot Wheels tracks, something… not possible in our real world.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Gaming is the easiest segway into AR and I do want AR / MR powered by the xbox one x.

If that happens it will be the xbox to rule them all :grin: and if they can work out a untethered solution that would be a massive game changer.

With UWP, Continuum (C Shell via Miracast) for work and Xbox for gaming + media that is all you would have needed.

You come home, go hey Cortana launch my xyz document on my xbox and Cortana launches the TV app on the xbox with c shell mirrored from the phone and launches your document. Finish off the document and pick up your controller and start playing a game - but for now that's just wishful thinking.

Or with keyboard and mouse support + UWP + VR / AR xbox could become the most affordable versatile PC ever.

Pairadyce

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I think the theory of this all sounds great in our heads but how many people have the space to render a car where their Xbox is? (think bedrooms, apartment living rooms, etc.) I could see the usefulness in niche settings like arcades but I don't think practically, these types of scenarios will have strong consumer buy in.

I need to see more from VR to really care about it. Reasons: I remember the virtual boy and trying it at Blockbuster and thinking "I'd rather sit on the couch and play tennis with Mario" so I understand the need to remove wires. I think Kinect was a step in the right direction because it recognized you without wires and achieved great things. What I don't want to see is a lot of gimmicky games or lack of developer support in games that would seem to benefit the most. I think the Kinect would have done much better if they had a version that could project back MR based on scans of where it is placed.

I think I'm hesitant because I come from one of the first generations of gamers. We have families, things we need to be cognizant of around us like wives or gfs throwing objects at you cause you are not paying attention to them or the dog eating your hoagie. A headset doesn't appeal to me in their current form the way the Kinect did but I am interested to see how it all plays out at least. Practicality is more important than novelty to me.

Don Lawrence2

Nov 17, 2017
Visit site

What are tour thoughts?

I think that ms should wait on vr and work on development of new game content for rpg's using kinect or third party web cams using facial uploads for avatars in your favorite games.

Manus Imperceptus

May 8, 2014
Visit site
They ought to enable VR right away, cables or no cables. It's no worse than when using a PC, honestly, so they ought to let their customers decide. Others are doing the hard- and software development for them, so it's not like they'd sacrifice a whole lot of man-hours either...

rd3d2

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

What are tour thoughts?

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
WMR headsets' support of SteamVR is a great feature, and gives PC users a reason to get one over either Oculus or a Vive headset. Since Xbox would most likely be limited to only "pure" WMR apps, of which there are few, I don't think that enabling it would be of much benefit, since people would immediately use the sparse library to loudly proclaim "it's another Windows Phone!" and essentially kill its perception of viability before it has a chance to grow.
In a year's time, if they can get a good library of games (at least 20, 50 would be better) set up to be available immediately on Xbox One X with a WMR headset, and especially if those titles are "Windows Anywhere" titles that also run on a Windows 10 PC, then it would be a good situation for announcing Xbox support.

TwinStripe UK

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
It would be nice. And that's just it -'nice'... At the moment there's no 'killer app' that absolutely says ' I MUST buy this product' in the VR/AR/MR space for the price point the units are at, and that's probably what's holding it back as much as the desire for untethered hardware. After all, the price of the Xbox One X was (and still is) a major gripe for most reviewers, so with a combined solution which costs up to $1000 you better make damned sure you get something with it that absolutely justifies your decision to buy one and stick it in your living room.

That being said, it's on the cards; has been since the original 'Scorpio' reveal, so it's not so much a matter of 'if' but 'when'.

Keownus

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site

What are tour thoughts?

TandemUser

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
I think this is the right approach, especially if the compatibility with OR and Vive are there. VR on the PS4 is not very impressive fro the additional $400, and the games aren't there either. If the XB1x has the hardware to support it, they should.

jonhson buchanan

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site

What are tour thoughts?

Please Microsoft bring MR headset to xbox .It would be great if you can make room scale tracking and wireless headset.Make a kinect embedded with the xbox to track the hands ,fingers and head for truly immersive MR gaming(no controllers). Microsoft has the knowledge the manpower the resources and the Research throughout the years to be the only gaming system truly immersive with controller free hand tracking. This would replace other hand finger trackers and all the other vr headsets out there and make people just want to buy xbox as the main and ultimate platform for MR ,VR ect..Full avatars could be achieved with such a platform. I would buy it in a heart beat the second you launch and I know it would be way better than PS4Vr could ever do and they would be behind for years.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo