XBOX One X, 4K discs, and a non-4K HDTV?

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I got a new XBOX One X for Christmas, and a few blu-rays that came with both a 4K disc and a regular Blu-ray disc (ET, Close Encounters). I have a question. Obviously, my new XBOX One X can play the 4K disc, but will my regular HDTV be able to display what the XBOX is playing? I figured it would just downgrade it to regular 1080p. Or is that not an option?

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Since you only have a 1080p TV. Your Xbox or TV will downconvert the image to an 1080 image.

Because you're using a Full HD TV, you're missing out on the full 4k resolution and more importantly the HDR feature.

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. But something should show up on the screen, right (even if it's not the 4K image, it still should be at least 1080p, right?). It's not going to throw an error on the screen because the TV isn't 4k, right?

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
On my 4k TV, there's a popup that confirms that I'm watching HDR media.

I just watched Transformers The Last Knight on 4k Ultra HDR Bluray. Not the best movie but a visual tour de force.
The robots metal armor glisten with realism you could almost touch it.

The HDR effect is the more important update than 4k resolution. So if ever you plan to buy a 4k TV make sure it supports HDR.

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Who makes the best XBOX One X compatible TV's these days? And where is a good line to draw in terms of features? you can go crazy with some of the highest end TVs in terms of prices.

EXboxNick

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
boo, Samsung doesn't even make OLED. they opted for a cheaper qled, which isn't awful but still. I have to say it but Sony has local dining on the OLED and LG reigns supreme so far

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99