No more Kinect adapters

ken baggs

Jan 8, 2018
Visit site
Just read a story in MSN News that Microsoft have discontinued making the Kinect adapter.

I have just bought an Xbox One X and was lucky as I had an adapter from when I used a Kinect as a web cam.

I would NOT have bought the X if I couldn't have used the Kinect on it.

I am saddened by this decision as it again shows Microsoft's ability to kick loyal customers in the teeth, why not let someone else build them and announce that at the same time, rather than just exit the market and be accused of being a callous uncaring company.

I am still all in with MS products, 950XL, SP4 Xbox One X, but I can see how so many people have been encouraged to move on from MS products and services.

Your lucky I unpackaged and setup last night to find there statement of its compatible with all Xbox one accessories is rubbish and only way I can use my voice commands like I did on Xbox one is to either buy an adapter which is over £150+ as no obsolete or use a headset and controller! So that with alot of things not working on new Xbox one leaves me feeling pretty miffed to say the least!

Jaroslav Houdek

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
It is still possible to use Kinect with DIY adapter:
https://youtu.be/vQYZABBNBqA
(turn on english subtitles in the video)

Overall, the MSFT under Nadella is just about throwing towls to the ring. Just look at Google, even though the ChromeOS is a failure, they continue pushing it. Also Apple still tries to push AppleTV even though no one really wants it.
Four years ago this site (windowscentral) published an article about Windows Phone outselling iPhones in 25 markets. Then came Nadella and pi55ed all over it.

NevilleWP

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Not good. Sad actually. I just bought the an Xbox One S despite knowing that it isn't a real console and just a wrapped PC. One big reason for this is because I had a PlayStation console already and their motion detection hardware relies on handheld devices. Kinect was a hands down winner... until I read this and already spent the money! The idea was to use the Xbox as my entertainment system with voice controls via Cortana... well, so far it can't even give me the weather. Maybe a sign that even MS developers are not developing for Kinect anymore... so sad... dare I say deja vu a la Microsoft Phone... sigh!

Skier7667

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Just read a story in MSN News that Microsoft have discontinued making the Kinect adapter.

I have just bought an Xbox One X and was lucky as I had an adapter from when I used a Kinect as a web cam.

I am saddened by this decision as it again shows Microsoft's ability to kick loyal customers in the teeth, why not let someone else build them and announce that at the same time, rather than just exit the market and be accused of being a callous uncaring company.

I am still all in with MS products, 950XL, SP4 Xbox One X, but I can see how so many people have been encouraged to move on from MS products and services.

I too am very saddened by the decision, but I would imagine it is based on business needs, not just keeping the users happy.

I love my Kinect on my Xbox One. Bob, you indicated that had the Kinect adaptor when you used it as a web cam. Does that adaptor work on the Xbox One-X. I too have the Xbox One-X.

I found at least for voice recognition, it worked perfect with Cortana for me. It would be nice if they can somehow connect the Harmon Kardon Invoke to work with the Xbox One or Xbox One X.

For me since it came priced on day one with the Xbox One, I didn't think about the pricing as others did later. I also used the original Kinect with the Xbox 360 and it worked fine.

So Yes, I miss it and would love to find options to connect it to my Xbox One X.

VEGEmiteCOMEtoo

Jan 8, 2018
Visit site
I think that the Kinect needs to remain being used. There are a lot of Xbox games -& Apps that use the kinect & there is also Cortana. What was the point of Cortana being developed in the first place if the only time or way that she will be used is on a Desktop or Laptop PC. If the kinect is going to go then in my opinion Microsoft Xbox will go downhill. My recommendation is to keep the kinect & the Adapter.

sealancer

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site

It was the same case with Windows Phone. People who bought earlier version of could not update to next version.

Now I am left with a hot potato called xbox which needs to be offloaded. Its ridiculous no further development ends up becoming not available any where. What will the existing kinect owners do if adapter goes kaput? buy it at a exorbitant price or throw away the xbox. Latter would be the best option. My next console will be PS4 , had enough of this MS crap. Was pretty stupid that I did not learn from windows phone fiasco:eck:.

Gabriel Ortiz1

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

It really sucks that LAZY content creators were directly responsible for the demise of this device which had so much potential.

What sucks even more is that MSFT decided to not include a Kinect port on the Xbox One S and Xbox One X - essentially screwing over anyone who loyally purchased an OG Xbox One or who purchased one soon after.

Another slap in the face was MSFT's decision to discontinue making and selling the Kinect adapter, and at a time when many gamers were looking to upgrade to the Xbox One X but who didn't want to have had spent money for a device they can no longer use if they upgrade. Now, you cant find an adapter anywhere, despite refurbished Kinects still being sold on the MSFT site. What's the point of buying a refurb Kinect now that their is no adapter to use it on the S or X? So my Kinect is now collecting dust. Thanks for continuing to screwing over your loyal customers.

MSFT is full of bad ideas and is only further turning their back on loyal paying consumers.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
It really sucks that LAZY content creators were directly responsible for the demise of this device which had so much potential.

"It really sucks that LAZY content creators were directly responsible for the demise of this device which had so much potential."
I hope you're only talking of MS because it's not up to 3rd party studios to "support" this product. It's MS's responsibility to provide content for their device and their customers.
Look at what MS provided. And I wouldn't even blame content creators or devs for this. It's higher ups at MS who probably didn't want to invest in making games for kinect.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
"It really sucks that LAZY content creators were directly responsible for the demise of this device which had so much potential."
I hope you're only talking of MS because it's not up to 3rd party studios to "support" this product. It's MS's responsibility to provide content for their device and their customers.
Look at what MS provided. And I wouldn't even blame content creators or devs for this. It's higher ups at MS who probably didn't want to invest in making games for kinect.

this^

+920

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes the same adapter works on PC or Xbox One X, and from what others have said, it isn't too hard to make one.

Got to admit I don't use Cortana on the Xbox or my 950, I only have it turned on on my SP4 to save each version of Cortana getting into discussions "Sorry I didn't catch that", I use the Xbox commands.

david berry3

Jan 12, 2018
Visit site
I've owned and upgraded every Xbox, I started doing it for my Son when he was a child, he's all grown now, and he buys his own now. I bought the original and the 360, first for him and then myself, the XBOXONE and now the One X for myself. I never balked at the Kinect, I like the ease of logging in just by walking in the room, and the superior Skype video! I started loving seeing my grandkids in huge 75 inches HD from halfway around the world, it felt futuristic today. I had committed to buying the XboxOne X early in 2017 as Christmas present to myself. As the time grew near I started feeling caution creeping in. So announced to my wife, I think I'll wait till next year to upgrade to the new Xbox. Because I bought First Surface RTM (?) about 6 or 7 years ago(?) a gift, the first one out of the box did not work, so we took it back got a new one, and all's fine. Shortly after getting it, it is no longer being supported! Windows was moving on, I was caught. However, I continue to use this Tablet as the Excellent camera it is. I love it for that. I bought a Surface Pro 4 recently last year and it did not work right out of the box. i promptly sent it back and got my money back. When I upgraded from my 360 to the Xboxone, all my games collected was no longer supported! i was disappointed, but caught, but I played Destiny non stop so I was alright! Windows come lately finally gets it and started to bring the old games back on line, should have did that at first, would have been oh so better for them. I wanted the Windows phone but did not want to get caught. I liked the Zune, but was afraid to bite, luckily I did not. I bought the Xbox elite Controller for a cool 150 bucks in one year to the day, it stopped working, I was caught again. So all that being said, I was hesitant to jump on this bleeding edge, so i intended to wait 6 months to see what issues start showing up. However, my wife, lovely as she is, thought it a Super idea to surprise me and to give me the XboxOne X as my Christmas Gift!. I acted surprised and happy, but i had trepidation. I wondered what would come out and get me this time. I had heard the Kinect was not directly supported which was my one reason i was shying away from the early jump. But i did not realize how bad the situation for the Kinect was until I went on line and started to look for the adapter on Christmas day, and found prices of 179, 199, 240, 799! then, I knew, I was caught again. My wife keeps saying, we can take it back, but, i am not a 'taker-backer', nor am I without gratitude for a gift given in good faith. I will live and learn to adjust, find another means, hopefully, to use my new XBOX to skype with my grandkids, and auto login, hopefully. I don't know how Microsoft makes it decisions, but I wish they would consult me first! By the way, I upgraded to windows 10 on the bleeding edge! Why? You ask. Those Microsoft VR glasses, that I did not know was not coming out for at least a year after the debut of Windows 10. I thought they were coming out concurrent, to listen to the hype that was going on. When they finally started showing up, 12 to 18 months later, hyped, as Developers accessories, $3000! Caught again. When will I learn?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb