Your thoughts/questions on Sea of Thieves

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So our huge Sea of Thieves content drop just shipped, and I figured I'd create a place for us to discuss the game, any outstanding questions, and beyond.

I'm still curious as to how the end game systems will play out, and how much there will be to discover in the game, but I'm pretty excited for what we were shown at Rare, and also hints and teases about on-going additional content drops that could be as rapid as every week.

What are your thoughts so far? Do you have any questions you'd like to get answered about the game? Sound off! YARGHH

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
It's going to be pretty special. The problem with a level based end game like Destiny or The Division is that its a false sense of progression. Instead of spending 150 hours playing the same quests and raids over and over again to get that 200 light level or 230 Gearscore I just leave the game alone until new DLC comes out. Then in literally a matter of 3 hours breeze past that number that took others so long.

This is the problem with level based end game.its false progression. With cosmetic Progression and recognition it means no constant replaying the same quests. And it means people can physically see your character and ship represent just how much you have achieved. As opposed to a number and everyone looking the sane whether your level 1 or level 30.

Finally we have an end game with meaning.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Agreed on that point. I think the way Rare is building up gameplay to be emergent/mechanical will give it the variety that games like Destiny totally lack.

Adam Seinen

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Re: Yourself thoughts/questions on Sea of Thieves

So our huge Sea of Thieves content drop just shipped, and I figured I'd create a place for us to discuss the game, any outstanding questions, and beyond.

I'm still curious as to how the end game systems will play out, and how much there will be to discover in the game, but I'm pretty excited for what we were shown at Rare, and also hints and teases about on-going additional content drops that could be as rapid as every week.

What are your thoughts so far? Do you have any questions you'd like to get answered about the game? Sound off! YARGHH

I've been involved with the alpha and beta. I've seen it go from a clunky empty world to what it has grown into. All of the additions to the game have been well thought out and build upon the intent of the developers to create an open and amazing world to explore.

I love seeing the streaming numbers. It is very well recieved by the community and has even caught the attention of other communities. My parents have even looked at it with smiles and interest.

I have played with my 3 kids at home in the previous beta and it has brought all of us together in this pirate world. We are all excited for any opportunity to play.

I played with a couple and their friend last night. We met on twitter with similar interests and views. I had a blast while their 6 year old steered us around an island while cheering and yelling at how much fun he was having. Pure young energy.

This is what this game brings out in all of us. Young fun. Fun with friends.

I look forward to many adventures in this amazing well crafted world. A place where we can all get along. Or not ;)

AvaSLCtraINman

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I really like that it uses Xbox Play Anywhere. We need more that do. I feel like Play Anywhere helps it be a really special experience. Lazily sailing around? Someone else wants the TV/XB1? Go elsewhere.

Yahia Mostafa

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I still haven't tried the game yet but here are my thoughts. For me, I think Sea of Thieves will be as popular as Rocket League. The reason is that, like Rocket league, it only depends on how good you're at the game and not pay2win. Also, you only use real money to buy cosmetics (Like Rocket League). I'm saying this cause I bought Rocket League at launch and it's still my favorite game till today. I have watched it grow from a game that's not very well-known to a big hit in gaming industry and Esports. My opinion is that if Sea of Thieves provided continuous content and events just like Rocket League, it'll be a big hit too. Also consider the "Xbox Play Anywhere" concept which is really interesting.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts on the game is that Rare/Microsoft is keeping information too close to the chest. I keep seeing the same question over again. It's the same question I've had since the original reveal and one many game journalists have asked, "Is that it?" In lieu of a tried and true progression system, will hour 1 be the same as hour 200? Without a deep or complex combat system, how do I keep every session from feeling mundane? I shouldn't have this many questions about a game that's a month away from release. Had this been a different developer, perhaps I wouldn't be worried. But this is Rare, and Rare has been a shell of itself for a long time now. They've earned more than their fair share of skepticism.

Tjalsma

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
This was my most anticipated game this year up until recently. The PVP is just not my thing and doing quests and annoying riddle puzzles don't outweigh the annoyances with getting bombarded by other players over and over. Getting spawn killed, getting locked up, etc. It's just not my type of game anymore and it saddens me.

I had such a blast during the first beta with my kid. It was so fun just relaxing and sailing around. As they upped the player population, the player base started rearing its ugly head and ruined the experience for me.

It seems like rare made a game that demands you be an absolute d bag and I can't see myself spending a lot of time with it. I have other PVP games I can play.

I'll still check it out with my Game Pass but I canceled my pre-order.

Theonlyix

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Theonlyix

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Been playing since they let the first 1000 testers in and its been an almost bugfree blast to play. The pace at which the added content in this last month gives me absolutely no reason to believe this game will be lacking in the long run. Its probably the most fun ive had with a game in years, both with and without xbox live friends. With 50-120hrs so far- im qualified to say that noone who loves fun games should miss out on this(i usually stick with games far less time) . Also, its soooo pretty, especially on the Xbox one X. Fits many ages, 6-99 atleast, and i cant say that about many games.

Kris C

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm having a hard time feeling that new game "pull" to be honest. The lack of urgency or goals as far as gameplay is concerned makes me think twice about actually purchasing it. I must have played it a dozen hours these past two days and I have to admit that I'm missing the wow-factor in this one.

The points mentioned Tjalsma about the player-base are spot on. I got spawn killed or ganged up on while at a shop several times. This certainly takes away from the fun.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm part of the insider program and honestly excitment has just gone downhill for me. I felt the beta was dull and empty. And even watching the streams on youtube was kinda boring.

Visually it's true, the water looks amazing. The only problem is that the rest doesn't look great to me. But since, it's mostly a game where you spend lots of time at sea, I guess it's ok.

Personally, I think this is really not for me. Not many of my friends are interested in this. Also I think this should have had splitscreen. For a game that is based on multiplayer coop not having splitscreen is a sin.

The real bitter news was when they announced microtransactions and called this a service. This is a full price game. It cannot be a service. It cannot have free2play economics. That's just unforgivable.

Since it's an online only game it's ultimately just a renting game. It'll be playable until MS makes enough money out of it. After that they'll just end the service and kill all your purchase (like what they did with AOE online or project spark).
Anyone remember the Project Spark hype and how they killed it in less than 2 years?

With Game pass, I don't think anyone should buy this game unless they plan to play it for more than 6 months. I'm struggling to see people even spending 6 months playing considering the beta and the lack of actual goal. I'm talking of having a whole group of friends all playing this for 6 months...

Another mistake I feel is that they decided to leave out the steam crowd. In a game like this number of gamers is very important. It may quickly die in few months.

I would say if you really want to play it. Try to get few of your friends to play it on their PC/XB1. And play it for 1-2 months using game pass for around 10-20 bucks.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
I still haven't tried the game yet but here are my thoughts. For me, I think Sea of Thieves will be as popular as Rocket League. The reason is that, like Rocket league, it only depends on how good you're at the game and not pay2win. Also, you only use real money to buy cosmetics (Like Rocket League). I'm saying this cause I bought Rocket League at launch and it's still my favorite game till today. I have watched it grow from a game that's not very well-known to a big hit in gaming industry and Esports. My opinion is that if Sea of Thieves provided continuous content and events just like Rocket League, it'll be a big hit too. Also consider the "Xbox Play Anywhere" concept which is really interesting.

I think it's totally different. It's unlikely to be even close to how popular Rocket league is.
1) Rocket league is much quicker games.
2) It has a MUCH bigger user base.
3) You don't need to have a whole bunch of friends to play at the same time.
4) Much cheaper. (it was free at launch on PS+).
5) Much easier learning curve and easier controls.

Yahia Mostafa

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I think it's totally different. It's unlikely to be even close to how popular Rocket league is.
1) Rocket league is much quicker games.
2) It has a MUCH bigger user base.
3) You don't need to have a whole bunch of friends to play at the same time.
4) Much cheaper. (it was free at launch on PS+).
5) Much easier learning curve and easier controls.

What I meant to say is that I think it'll find it's way to success just like Rocket League did because it's a game built on firm basis and solid mechanics with no pay2win. Also saying that Rocket League has large user base is unfair right now becasue Rocket League didn't gain its fanbase overnight.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
What I meant to say is that I think it'll find it's way to success just like Rocket League did because it's a game built on firm basis and solid mechanics with no pay2win. Also saying that Rocket League has large user base is unfair right now becasue Rocket League didn't gain its fanbase overnight.

This is like saying every game with a story will be as successful as The last of us or red dead redemption.

Just because a game doesn't have pay2win elements it doesn't mean it'll be successful. See Lawbreakers as an example.

And Rocket League kinda did gain a lot of fans overnight as it was given free on PS+ at launch.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
I tried it this weekend. I just wandered aimlessly around the seas for 2-3 hours. Once again a very empty and lifeless world. I didn't find any other ship.

I just moved from outpost to outpost and visiting the odd island where I had to deal with few weak skeletons. What I did find a lot of is those shops on the outpost.

The only "life" I saw is NPC who didn't have a voice (whose dialogue I had to read) and who were mostly trying to sell me stuff.. It just looks like a game that was made to sell stuff.

If games as a service is : "we'll put you in a big lifeless world, with no real goal, no real story, no splitscreen, no voice acting, awkward combat, overall average graphics but hey it's ok we have loads of shops where you can buy stuff", then no thanks I'm fine. This is really not for me...

This was really boring for me. A major disappointment. I feel like I've wasted few hours...
I don't think I'll try it again and just uninstall it.

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Can't wait for the release. Am already in a clan of 25. And have put in 100 hours on the beta. All dlc being free is amazing. And not a single loot box in sight. This is phenomenal. Absolutely brilliant in todays industry. Only cosmetic items are purchaseable with real money. It's literally rekindled my love of online games. So much fun.

Also a shout out to the graphics designer. Literally the best water effects ever seen in a video game by a massive margin. The way the ocean behaves is so realistic. And even from under the water looming back up the surface looks incredible. The artwork to is stunning. On the one x it is a technical marvel. Oh my god those stormy ocean nights.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Ok, so I ended up playing quite a few hours of this game. And even this final beta for around 3-4 hours.

The first thing I'll say is that's it's a major disappointment. A huge empty lifeless world. I was expecting a LOT more.
- Huge empty world filled with water and small islands
- No story
- No dialogues, voice over (ridiculous for a so-called AAA game)
- Very little attention to details
- Average to poor graphics (imo) even though the water looks great the rest looks bad
- No real goal
- No character customization at the start even though the game is based on "looks" and cosmetic items
- No splitscreen (poor for a game that is about social experience)
- Awkward combat
- Generic repetitive quest that felt tedious
- Game based on cosmetic items and the game will soon have microtransactions that will sell this
- Full price game with free2play economics
- Seems like the game depends on friends goofing around
- I hardly found anyone. (Maybe 6-7 ships in nearly 10 hours of play)
- Matchmaking problems even in the final beta

+ Water is great looking
+ Game relies a lot on goofing and spending time with friends, so it can be fun for few hours.

I think the problem with this game is there isn't really any goal. You are asked to go from point A to point B, get a chest, go back to point A, sell the chest for gold, use the gold to buy cosmetic stuff. You do that 5-6 times to get some 1000 gold so you can buy a hat or a coat.
Even the trading company quests are just mindless jobs where you go from one point get animals like chickens and go to point B, to get the same stuff.

Overall it just looks like a big open empty world. They added beautiful water to fill. You spend most of your time going from point to point. And when you happen to see another ship they'll probably just attack you. But I actually understand that, they are just looking for a bit of action after just sailing aimlessly for hours...

So the worse part of this is that they are calling it a service. This is not just about making a game selling it at full price and hope people enjoy it. This is also about how to make people spend more and more money after they spend the initial entry $60 fee to enter the service. If cosmetic items is what this game is all about, having microtransactions for cosmetic item is even worse. If I criticise other games for doing it, I'm sorry I got to do the same for this game.

For those who didn't play it, I wouldn't suggest you to buy it. If you really need to test it. Get it for 1 month on game pass and see for yourself. Ask yourself are you going to play this non stop for 6-7 months? No? Then don't buy the game, rent it till you get bored...

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
We'll literally I think the game is not designed for your tastes. Because everything you say you don't like is precisely what everyone loves. No story is a huge plus. It's about the players and what they do. Not a linear story you have to follow.

It's an online open world. It's not designed for split screen anymore than Destiny or The Division.

Travelling from point a to point b is what makes the game. It's in these instances you pull together with your friends and protect the loot your carrying, plan a course of action to take the boat on the horizon. The ship asking is one of its best aspects.

The character creation is alot more complex than other games. Yeah sure you can't make your nose as short or as long as you want. But no 2 pirates will look the same. And on top of that your character ages and gets scars. Gets fatter/thinner as you put in your hundreds of hours. It's not just cosmetically that your character changes.

The goal is to become a Pirate Legend. And to get that you go about your journey however you want to. Not how a developer tells you to. It's the same type of experience that people love Minecraft for. You are left to your own devices between you and your friends to do as you please.

There's no repetitive playing the same quests over and over again like other games (destiny) in the chance you might get a loot drop that gives you 1 light level more.

Each quest, each encounter is unique. And battles are not predetermined.

It's literally one of the best multomayer games alongside Minecraft out there to date that let's you be free to play how you want. No RNG gods. No limitations. Just a pirate playground and the angry sea. Aaasrrrggghhh

And yes I suggest everyone sign up to Game Pass. Don't buy games. That's crazy. Cities Skylines, Super Luckys Tale, are even on their now. Such immense value for money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss