SSHD vs HDD

Legellan

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Inspired by the recent post on the site about HDD vs SSD, we all knew the SSD would be faster. I'm more inter steps in the SSHD vs HDD. How much time does the hybrid drive shave off since has the best of both worlds i.e. cheaper than SSD with large capacities but has some solid state disk for caching often used files. Anyone able to provide some testing data?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about the times. If I had to guess they would mirror the SSD. However, since SSDs are dropping in price fairly rapidly (and some tech sites are speculating that SSD prices will continue to fall in 2019), it may be just as economical to go the full SSD route than a hybrid drive.

larspassic

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
The hybrid drives usually have only 8GB of SSD cache. So if you switch between games, it will take a while for the data to be migrated over to the cache. Not worth it in my opinion. I'm trying to get a 1TB SSD, since they are down to about $100.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any measured data, but at my workplace we had dealt with some hybrid drives a bit. We didn't see much, if any, real world improvement in performance over regular HDD drives.

I believe that hybrids were more of a thing when SSDs were still expensive. Now SSD prices are low enough that there is little reason to consider a hybrid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium