Microsoft bringing Xcloud and Gamepass to switch. Rumour

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
It will be a good thing in my opinion. All it does is ensure more investment into gaming. The best place to play Xbox will always be on their high end console or PC. Nintendo will never match the fidelity of Xbox consoles. Sony will never allow Microsoft to put game pass on their system, heck they barely allowed Minecraft but didn't have a choice.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree, this is a major win for Xbox and consumers as it means greater flexibility for us consumers. Whereas for Xbox it means they reach newer audiences. As I know many people who have Playstation and Nintendo consoles but hardly many have xbox consoles.

However that has changed with backwards compatibility on the Xbox One, which is the most under rated feature on the xbox one. With the next generation of xbox we will be able to play multiple generations of xbox games from a single console and that is a major win in my book from a value proposition.

Currently, most people I know play the switch and hardly touch their playstation 4 anymore. Nintendo has nailed it again with Smash Bros Ultimate in terms of multiplayer. You can play upto 8 players on a single switch, 8 players!

It's absolutely nuts, utter chaos and crazy fun - especially when you have 8 players who have mastered double jumps, survival moves and dodges. Sometimes the damages go beyond 300%... because it's pretty hard to do quick charge smashes with a joy con when you have 7 people after you or you have random team up battles in a match for the sake of it haha.. even more so on very small stages.

The easiest way to win is to use the C analogue stick (gamecube pad) or right hand joy stick if you're playing with two joy cons as a single controller. But that's just no fun lol.

Last edited:

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
I really don't think MS will gain that much from this. I think they'll actually lose a lot.
The important thing here is ecosystem.
Last gen, I had a few Xbox 360, I had gold subscription and I had kinect. I spend a lot of money in MS's ecosystem. I bought games, hardware and gold subscription.
This gen, I was mostly on PS4 so I bought most games on PS4, I have PS+ and bought PS hardware like PSVR. I hardly spent anything on MS's product. In terms of games I only bought QB, Ori. But both on steam. Then I'm interested by Recore and SO and both are also on steam. MS has a deal for Cuphead but I also finished that on steam.
So MS hardly got any of my money. The thing with play anywhere is that even if MS had a XB1/Win10 exclusive I would still be able to play it without buying a XB1. I would have only spent it for the game and that's it.

At the end, that's A LOT less money for MS.

The thing is I also game on PC. I understand the argument about console game not wanting to play on PC so buying a XB1 to play these MS games.

But now, even that argument will be cancelled.
If XB's games end up on switch and PS, there would be even less reasons to ever buy a XB console. At this stage I would only think that XB "fans" are the only ones who will buy the console because of brand loyalty.

Even less people will buy XB consoles. So less people will be in the XB ecosystem. Less people on MS ecosystem is massive loss for MS. Less people paying for gold subscription, less people buying their controllers, the 3rd party games and their consoles...

Now for the argument that more PS/Switch players will spend money to play XB's games. The thing is that not all of them will buy every MS games. Those who are interested in a MS game will ONLY spend for that game. They'll still buy 3rd party on the console of their choice.

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I really don't think MS will gain that much from this. I think they'll actually lose a lot.
The important thing here is ecosystem.
Last gen, I had a few Xbox 360, I had gold subscription and I had kinect. I spend a lot of money in MS's ecosystem. I bought games, hardware and gold subscription.
This gen, I was mostly on PS4 so I bought most games on PS4, I have PS+ and bought PS hardware like PSVR. I hardly spent anything on MS's product. In terms of games I only bought QB, Ori. But both on steam. Then I'm interested by Recore and SO and both are also on steam. MS has a deal for Cuphead but I also finished that on steam.
So MS hardly got any of my money. The thing with play anywhere is that even if MS had a XB1/Win10 exclusive I would still be able to play it without buying a XB1. I would have only spent it for the game and that's it.

At the end, that's A LOT less money for MS.

The thing is I also game on PC. I understand the argument about console game not wanting to play on PC so buying a XB1 to play these MS games.

But now, even that argument will be cancelled.
If XB's games end up on switch and PS, there would be even less reasons to ever buy a XB console. At this stage I would only think that XB "fans" are the only ones who will buy the console because of brand loyalty.

Even less people will buy XB consoles. So less people will be in the XB ecosystem. Less people on MS ecosystem is massive loss for MS. Less people paying for gold subscription, less people buying their controllers, the 3rd party games and their consoles...

Now for the argument that more PS/Switch players will spend money to play XB's games. The thing is that not all of them will buy every MS games. Those who are interested in a MS game will ONLY spend for that game. They'll still buy 3rd party on the console of their choice.

That's kind of the point. Console manufacturers make next to nothing on console sales. But make a ton of money off services and games.

If MS have 100 million Gamepass subscribers going into 2025 then they will be rolling in cash. And out in front of the streaming future that is inevitable. Basing success on console sales alone is 1990s.

As an example Sky in the UK force the consumer to have their hardware to watch all their content. And Netflix don't. Now in 2019 Netflix in the UK has overtaken Sky as the number 1 paid for subscriber for TV content. With now over 10 million subscribers to Sky's 9 million. Because you can use Netflix on any device. Not only that but Netflix is now worth more than Disney and BSkyB put together.

Being associated with 1 device to play your games is going away. Google are about to unveil their streaming service along with a streaming gane box at GDC this year. Amazon are looking to enter also. But the ace up MS sleeve is its first party studio lineup. They haven't bolstered their first party to go against Sony. It's to go against Google and Amazon. A much bigger threat going forward. Because Sony don't have anywhere near the infrastructure worldwide to compete with those 3 server farm giants.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
100m game pass members??? HAHAHAHA

Did you watch Spencer's interview that you told me to watch? Spencer clearly said that netflix is very different from game pass.

Can you tell me how many of the estimated 25-40m XB1 owners have game pass or even gold for that matter?
MS are proud to announce numbers when it favours them, why don't they announce the number of game pass subscribers if it matters so much? When was the last time they ever announced the number of gold members?

There is one thing you seem to forget. You, MS/XB fans hype game pass as if it's the greatest thing of all time but is game pass really that great?
I've actually seen the current games on the service. And there aren't really many games that I want to rent. Besides the MS games, most of the rest are old arcade games that are probably struggling to sell. The few AAA games sold are old games or older versions of a current franchise. ofc 3 of the last 4 MS published games had average ratings. SoT (unfinished game), SoD2 (full of bugs) and Crackdown 3 (incomplete, missing key features + bugs).
I know the usual MS/XB "fans" will hype these games like crazy, but I'm yet to see a neutral or an non-MS fan hype any of these games.

Do you seriously think PC, PS4, Nintendo gamers will move away from their ecosystem to rent mostly old arcade games? LOL
Gamers will keep playing RDR 2, Spider-man, Zelda botw, Dead cells, Battlefield V, Cuphead, Horizon ZD, Cyberpunk 77, The witcher 3... and let the XB "fans" rent these old arcade games.
At the most, these people might just pay a month of gamepass to rent one of the few MS games they may be interested in...

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
100m game pass members??? HAHAHAHA

Did you watch Spencer's interview that you told me to watch? Spencer clearly said that netflix is very different from game pass.

Can you tell me how many of the estimated 25-40m XB1 owners have game pass or even gold for that matter?
MS are proud to announce numbers when it favours them, why don't they announce the number of game pass subscribers if it matters so much? When was the last time they ever announced the number of gold members?

There is one thing you seem to forget. You, MS/XB fans hype game pass as if it's the greatest thing of all time but is game pass really that great?
I've actually seen the current games on the service. And there aren't really many games that I want to rent. Besides the MS games, most of the rest are old arcade games that are probably struggling to sell. The few AAA games sold are old games or older versions of a current franchise. ofc 3 of the last 4 MS published games had average ratings. SoT (unfinished game), SoD2 (full of bugs) and Crackdown 3 (incomplete, missing key features + bugs).
I know the usual MS/XB "fans" will hype these games like crazy, but I'm yet to see a neutral or an non-MS fan hype any of these games.

Do you seriously think PC, PS4, Nintendo gamers will move away from their ecosystem to rent mostly old arcade games? LOL
Gamers will keep playing RDR 2, Spider-man, Zelda botw, Dead cells, Battlefield V, Cuphead, Horizon ZD, Cyberpunk 77, The witcher 3... and let the XB "fans" rent these old arcade games.
At the most, these people might just pay a month of gamepass to rent one of the few MS games they may be interested in...

Again. The point goes so far over your head.

Gamepass as it is now. No of course it won't get to 100 million.

The only way it can do that is Xcloud. When the Xcloud app releases on Android, Switch and IOS then Gamepass is potentially available to 100s of millions of consumers.

Android Smart TVs, Phones, Tablets, every Switch device. It's also coming to PC in its entirety.

Only when Xcloud hits will what I mentioned be possible. Gamepass is the catalyst that will push Xcloud. Being able to play Halo Infinite, Gears 5, Forza 8, Fable 4, Horizon etc etc.

On top of that, how many of gamers on those devices have never played any of the exclusives already on Gamepass? So a Switch owner can pay £7.99/month and play Halo MCC, Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Quantum Break, Horizon 3 and 4, Forza 7, the entire Gears franchise, viva Pinata, every single MS exclusive they never had the chance to play before.

Because outside the Xbox console base there are millions that can play them for 7.99.

Gamepass itself as it is now only benefits those that already have an Xbox. But Xcloud changes that completely. Just buy a Xbox Controller for your Android Smart TV and bam. Your in the ecosystem. Have a Switch, bam your in the ecosystem. Have a tablet/phone. Bam your in the ecosystem.

With Xcloud Gamepass can absolutely hit 100 million subscribers. Gamepass becomes Netflix of games with Xcloud. Not in its current form.

Also both Sony and MS only release Active users for their services. JANUARY 2019 MS announced 64 million active users monthly.

Last edited:

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
LOL ofc I understand what you're saying but 100m game pass subscribers is crazy.

ofc I know that it'll use xcloud. Why do you think I talked about PC, Nintendo or PS4 owners paying for gamepass?
But you are overestimating game pass.
Like I said MS never communicated the exact number of game pass subscribers. Also it's been years since they communicated the number of gold members.
Unlike MS, Sony communicates the number of PS+ members. It was 36.3m subscribers.
I hope you know that active monthly users is not the number of gold or game pass subscribers. Also I hope you know that these number include Win10

I've asked already why don't MS communicate these numbers? How many of the estimated 25-35m XB owners are active game pass members?
Do you know that netflix has around 139m subscribers worldwide? Here we are talking about talking about streaming games. There are a lot less gamers than people who watch movies, series...
If Switch, PC or PS4 owners were fans of MS exclusives, they would get a XB1 and buy the games. Now they wouldn't need to buy a XB1 they only would rent it for a month for 8 bucks.

You are trying to ignore my point that game pass mostly provides old arcade games, many of which are available on all sort of platforms. Yes, there are the old and new MS games, but do you think fans of these games wouldn't already have played these games?
But most people want to play the RDR2, the witcher 3, the FIFA, battlefield, COD... Game pass doesn't have these games.
What I'm saying is that a PC owner will stay on PC, pay steam or gog for most of these games. If ever they want to play a Halo they'll only need to rent it one month for 8 bucks. But we'll have to see how many switch players will do that...

What you can't seem to understand is that games like crackdown 3, SoD2, or SOT may appeal to you XB/MS fans but I doubt many other gamers are hyped about these games. Same thing with all those old arcade games. And even the same old MS exclusives.

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
LOL ofc I understand what you're saying but 100m game pass subscribers is crazy.

ofc I know that it'll use xcloud. Why do you think I talked about PC, Nintendo or PS4 owners paying for gamepass?
But you are overestimating game pass.
Like I said MS never communicated the exact number of game pass subscribers. Also it's been years since they communicated the number of gold members.
Unlike MS, Sony communicates the number of PS+ members. It was 36.3m subscribers.
I hope you know that active monthly users is not the number of gold or game pass subscribers. Also I hope you know that these number include Win10

I've asked already why don't MS communicate these numbers? How many of the estimated 25-35m XB owners are active game pass members?
Do you know that netflix has around 139m subscribers worldwide? Here we are talking about talking about streaming games. There are a lot less gamers than people who watch movies, series...
If Switch, PC or PS4 owners were fans of MS exclusives, they would get a XB1 and buy the games. Now they wouldn't need to buy a XB1 they only would rent it for a month for 8 bucks.

You are trying to ignore my point that game pass mostly provides old arcade games, many of which are available on all sort of platforms. Yes, there are the old and new MS games, but do you think fans of these games wouldn't already have played these games?
But most people want to play the RDR2, the witcher 3, the FIFA, battlefield, COD... Game pass doesn't have these games.
What I'm saying is that a PC owner will stay on PC, pay steam or gog for most of these games. If ever they want to play a Halo they'll only need to rent it one month for 8 bucks. But we'll have to see how many switch players will do that...

What you can't seem to understand is that games like crackdown 3, SoD2, or SOT may appeal to you XB/MS fans but I doubt many other gamers are hyped about these games. Same thing with all those old arcade games. And even the same old MS exclusives.

Xbox One has sold over 40 million according to VGC. Your under estimating the amount of Consoles.

Your quite entitled to say I'm overestimating. That may be so. I guess we will see by the time we get there. I'm not saying it definately will. But it's entirely plausible. Looking forward this is why I have always said MS bolstered their first party not to compete with Sony for console sales. But to compete in the Streaming space.

More First Party content regularly to Gamepass adds value. And people are more likely to keep subscribed if their is a steady flow of Exclusive titles yearly.

A few more party acquisitions and they Wil have 16 studios. Even if MS allowed each developer to have a long Dev period of 4 years to make a game, they could still have 4 every year releasing. And that's not including any 2nd party deals they make.

With a steady flow of AAA titles. MS can imo realistically in 6 years have near or on 100 million subscribers acrsoo loads of devices.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Xbox One has sold over 40 million according to VGC. Your under estimating the amount of Consoles.

Your quite entitled to say I'm overestimating. That may be so. I guess we will see by the time we get there. I'm not saying it definately will. But it's entirely plausible. Looking forward this is why I have always said MS bolstered their first party not to compete with Sony for console sales. But to compete in the Streaming space.

More First Party content regularly to Gamepass adds value. And people are more likely to keep subscribed if their is a steady flow of Exclusive titles yearly.

A few more party acquisitions and they Wil have 16 studios. Even if MS allowed each developer to have a long Dev period of 4 years to make a game, they could still have 4 every year releasing. And that's not including any 2nd party deals they make.

With a steady flow of AAA titles. MS can imo realistically in 6 years have near or on 100 million subscribers acrsoo loads of devices.

40m console sold is not the same as 40m XB1 owners. I hope you understand that there are many who have multiple XB1. I'm sure you must be having more than 1 XB1.

That's why I don't like doing predictions and guesses. People can make absolutely crazy statements and they can get away with ithttps://www.vg247.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-microsoft-aims-for-1-billion-lifetime-sales-100-million-xbox-360-units/

ofc you previously said city skylines and PUBG will never come to PS4 (at least not after few years in City skylines case). And got both of these so wrong.

The thing about 100m is that no XB console has EVER sold close to 80m. So there has NEVER been a single generation where a 100m people who really wanted to play an XB exclusive enough to buy a console.
Whenever I go to these gaming forums the only people I see hype up games like SoT or crackdown 3 are MS/XB fans. Like I said, I'm yet to see a Nintendo, PS or PC gamer get hyped for these.

MS themselves said they don't want this service to replace traditional gaming. And they don't see a future where subscriptions are dominant. This is what they said. But you say they'll have 100m subscribers.

I guess since you're making a prediction I'll also make one. If they do all the things you say (release a lot of games), make it available on other platforms... I think they'll be at less than 20m regular subscribers in five years.
But ofc we will never know until MS start feeling proud enough to communicate the numbers...

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
40m console sold is not the same as 40m XB1 owners. I hope you understand that there are many who have multiple XB1. I'm sure you must be having more than 1 XB1.

That's why I don't like doing predictions and guesses. People can make absolutely crazy statements and they can get away with ithttps://www.vg247.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-microsoft-aims-for-1-billion-lifetime-sales-100-million-xbox-360-units/

ofc you previously said city skylines and PUBG will never come to PS4 (at least not after few years in City skylines case). And got both of these so wrong.

The thing about 100m is that no XB console has EVER sold close to 80m. So there has NEVER been a single generation where a 100m people who really wanted to play an XB exclusive enough to buy a console.
Whenever I go to these gaming forums the only people I see hype up games like SoT or crackdown 3 are MS/XB fans. Like I said, I'm yet to see a Nintendo, PS or PC gamer get hyped for these.

MS themselves said they don't want this service to replace traditional gaming. And they don't see a future where subscriptions are dominant. This is what they said. But you say they'll have 100m subscribers.

I guess since you're making a prediction I'll also make one. If they do all the things you say (release a lot of games), make it available on other platforms... I think they'll be at less than 20m regular subscribers in five years.
But ofc we will never know until MS start feeling proud enough to communicate the numbers...

I'm not going to refute your prediction. Because we have both done our own individual prediction. And until we get to 2025 we won't see which one has got closest to their prediction. So that's now a moot point.

As for my PUBG and Cities predictions. Honestly when the rumiurs hit about some acquisitions happening for E3 I honestly thought that would be the PUBG developers. Locking PUBG to Xbox. But that wasn't the case. It seemedije it could make sense at the time.

And Cities did come sooner than I predicted. I have no problem admitting that.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
You need to be more civil in this forum.

You have made 4 post here, all off topic, and most were you trying to troll. I don't really know who you think you are but please stop trolling/spamming and stay on topic. If you want to talk about the rumour of game pass coming to switch please do, if you can't keep it gaming, I think it would be better not to reply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss