07-12-2020 10:22 PM
57 123
tools
    So will you say that MS is anti-consumer for not putting Halo or Gear on PS4?
    Well, it was produced by MSFT themselves, so it's slightly different. But yes, in the sense that consumers want to be able to play games without too much cost of entry. Which is why it's great for consumers that MSFT is opening up - putting games on steam, on PC, working with other companies.

Maybe you are right that some games wouldn't be made. That's certainly an angle I hadn't considered. Then again, there are other elements to that thought I think - like wouldn't time exclusives offer a fairly similar benefit, without as much cost to consumers (ie funding could still be offered upfront, at least some amount).

I don't know where you get that less than 1% or 2%. I mean just in 2018, I quickly count PS4 had 4 AAA exclusive, Switch had 2. And not even counting Forza that's 6 games
    That surprises me TBH. When I was looking it seemed like there was less than half a dozen big broadly popular titles on any platform, in total. You're saying there was 4, on playstation in a single year. Maybe our mileage varies on what counts as a AAA? IDK, I mean, I was just looking at the full lists of games for each platform, and how many of them were full exclusives versus not full exclusives - certainly looked to me like well under 5% or 1 in 20.

Perhaps if you look at a single year it varies? That would seem logical.

Look at how many these major AAA exclusives sell on PS4. There are always peak of sales when these type of game release.
    Who cares? How about you? Here you are complaining about them being exclusive...
    I'll ignore the tone of that, and simply say - I was talking about who in the market, cares about full exclusives when they make such a tiny proportion of games. I don't know that you've really convinced me that say, xbox owners, are all going to rush out and buy a ps because of a few games. Or a PC owner. Or any way really.

The premise you started with was 'what's the point in a console if it doesn't have a slightly bigger but still tiny number of full exclusives' (paraphrasing ;P). I think my response is still pretty solidly - I don't see any evidence or reasoning why that's as important as you personally think it is. Maybe you'll yet come up with such an argument or such a presentation of the facts.

But I think a lot of market success is mindshare, branding, luck, marketing. I'm not one of these people who thinks the market picks products purely based on some kind of evolutionary feature set, or that win or lose is defined by a single feature set. They play a role yes, but there are great products that have failed or not done as well, or crappy ones that have succeeded.

When it comes to one particular element of a product, like full exclusives? It's pretty hard to measure the impact of that without some kind of hard data. Otherwise seems a lot like a subjective opinion. I could come in claiming cross-play, or backwards compatibility is some game-changing market gem, but I don't have a clue. I'm just a gamer, not a gaming market analyst.

There is a huge difference. Can't believe you can't see it.
    Epic is investing money to delay a 3rd party game for some gamers. Nintendo is investing money to MAKE game for their customers.
    There is no benefit to the user in either case, in a game possessing the quality of being exclusive. Think about it this way: what does the quality itself, of being exclusive, benefit gamers in general?

Those third party devs are locked into contracts where they can never multi-platform, like any successful game franchise or company would naturally like to (and like gamers themselves would prefer). Everyone wants to be rockstar games, not IDK, whomever made uncharted. And gamers want games to have that kind of success, and size and scope.

The only argument you've made so far in this respect, that I found personally decent was that some games wouldn't get made. But then, I wonder - what else would be made instead? Those development houses would stlll be hungry for success. They'd still seek funding from somewhere. It becomes pretty theoretical thinking about what the world would be like without xyz.

Some gaming houses have gone to crowd funding. Or made smaller games until they struck success. Or be brought onboard a larger coalition. If those developers weren't being locked into exclusive contracts - I think a fair number of them would still be making games, and it's quite likely some of them would be producing gold. But, like the supposed massive market impact of full exclusives, without anything concrete, it's all just speculation.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 12-13-2019 at 04:47 AM.
    12-13-2019 04:36 AM
    There is definitely still a need for consoles. Not all countries have an internet infrastructure fast enough to run something like ProjectxCloud at a playable level. Look at Stadia as an example so far.
    12-26-2019 06:42 PM
    There is definitely still a need for consoles. Not all countries have an internet infrastructure fast enough to run something like ProjectxCloud at a playable level. Look at Stadia as an example so far.
    In order to be a full replacement it would need to be A) Cheaper B) 100% reliable. Given netflix isn't 100% reliable in most places, and 5G is positional, I think we may be waiting on fiber 2.0 and the attendant infrastructure upgrade before we are there.

I think xcloud is more of a side service to begin with, something to use occasionally in sweet spots.
    12-30-2019 12:08 AM
    In order to be a full replacement it would need to be A) Cheaper B) 100% reliable. Given netflix isn't 100% reliable in most places, and 5G is positional, I think we may be waiting on fiber 2.0 and the attendant infrastructure upgrade before we are there.

I think xcloud is more of a side service to begin with, something to use occasionally in sweet spots.
    It's definitely going to be a while before the infrastructure is upraded to allow for gaming to be streamed.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-30-2019 10:50 PM
    At the end of the day Microsoft want to give people the choice on playing games wherever they want - which whether some of you like it or not, includes a console.
    There are many people out there (myself included) who’s preferred method of playing games is on a console. I like the Xbox ecosystem and I’m happy to pay a small fee for the privilege. As for PC it’s not difficult to search and find plenty of articles regarding PC players cheating in multiplayer games and many, many thousands of players being banned from certain games.
    I no longer own a PC and I have no intention of ever owning a PC again. Indeed everything I would need a PC for I can do on a tablet, or phone.
    Also Microsoft making a branded gaming console adds to Xbox brand recognition. Anyone can make a PC, but the name PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo are world renown gaming icons. A PC is just a generic name for a computer it lacks the brand recognition

So it’ll be the new Series X for me - you can keep your PC.
    04-16-2020 03:45 AM
    I don't think consoles are going anywhere. Consoles have truly always been a dedicated gaming PC that you install in your living room. People just might prefer to have an entertainment system, rather than playing on a "traditional" PC.

Microsoft's view towards games is "enjoy the game on any Microsoft platform". That can be PC or Xbox. As long as you're buying on one of these platforms, you're in their ecosystem and that's good.

So whether you play on PC or Xbox, it's just a matter of your convenience.
    04-22-2020 01:18 PM
    There will always be a need for consoles. Even with 10G internet speeds. There are folks that live where there is no internet service or bad service and love playing single player games. Plus there are data caps with some ISPs. There are probably thousands of other reasons why consoles would be needed, but those two are two that I don't think faster internet will ever be able to get on the game streaming train.

Another big one that had me switch from PC to console was how much more hackers/cheaters there are on PC. I'm not saying no one has been able to use hacks/cheats on console, but I have never had a feeling I died to one. Two days ago, me and a buddy lost to a hacker who was admitting it and saying he would never get permanently banned. We were on Warzone for Xbox which forces you to have cross-platform on and play with PC/PS4.

I recently built a new PC and will try to start gaming on KB+M as I do miss the freedom, but I know as soon as I start encountering hackers in multiplayer, I'm going to boot up my Xbox.

P.S. Consoles are more stables as dev don't have to worry about a billion and one combinations of PC components with a console. I play at 1440p @ 60 FPS (max) on my Xbox One. Looks great and my opponent can't have anything higher in terms of FPS. No advantage to the guy with the $1,300 GPU.
    07-12-2020 10:22 PM
57 123