Ray Tracing next Gen consoles.

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
So the latest rumour is that the PS5 will use software Ray Tracing. AMD Hybrid. We already knew from E3 2019 that AMD confirmed Navi cannot do Ray Tracing.

The big missing piece though is MS Confirmed Hardware level Ray Tracing for Scarlett.

That begs the question how is MS achieving this? With this sort of advantage going into next Gen, has MS made its own custom separate chip aside from the AMD APU to handle Ray Tracing on its own?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBrviW9wFe8

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
This is one reason why I take everything Sony and MS say about consoles with a grain of salt...the size of the Rock of Gibralter.

Everything either company has said I will scrutinize, from the 120 FPS that MS claims to the 8K from Sony.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This is one reason why I take everything Sony and MS say about consoles with a grain of salt...the size of the Rock of Gibralter.

Everything either company has said I will scrutinize, from the 120 FPS that MS claims to the 8K from Sony.

Given how the maximum resolution of games on the PS4 Pro is 1440p, they can't even achieve native 4K so 8K is going to be unachievable for Sony.

Last edited:

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
The resolution is clearly meant for movies and TV content. Not gaming. Framerate will possible on indie titles that don't require alot of CPU power.

But yeah, it will be not be 8k for native gamig. That's just a resolution output the consoles will support at the basic level.

Sin Ogaris

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
They will both be utilising Hybrid Ray Tracing technology, Sony just mainly discussed the software side of it, Microsoft the hardware.

usguyver

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the Xbox will be using hardware Ray tracing and they're using a separate chip in the Xbox to do so. and Navi 2.0 can you read racing hardware PlayStation suppose using Navi 1.0 Xbox is confirmed to be using Navi 2.0.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans