Windows 8 tablets vs the iPad?

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm a huge supporter of Microsoft and never owned an Apple product in my life but the new iPad is definitely enticing...do you think Win8 tablets will match the specs and ecosystem by the time it launches? I'm talking WOA after learning that the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga is retailing at around 1200 euros or $1900 US :(

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Better yes but they need to be competitively priced as well.

Price won't be a problem. Just like now, you will be able to buy a W8 machine anywhere from $300-$3000. That's what's great about Windows, there's something for everyone.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm a huge supporter of Microsoft and never owned an Apple product in my life but the new iPad is definitely enticing...do you think Win8 tablets will match the specs and ecosystem by the time it launches? I'm talking WOA after learning that the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga is retailing at around 1200 euros or $1900 US :(

I've played with it on my iPad using Splashtop and the developer preview. I will be buying it (hopefully a Nokia tablet) and really like the ui. For me a high-performing tablet plus Bluetooth keyboard/mouse if I'm in word/excel/email would be ideal and I'd be willing to pay for it.

That being said, some of the gestures aren't exactly intuitive. There will be a learning curve steeper than the iPad and some reviewers and consumers will complain that it's not as simple as the iPad. Well duh..it's a fully functioning pc, but that will be a gripe.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
First thing to understand is there are 2 different versions of Win8 - one for ARM tablets and one of x86 (i.e. Intel) PCs (including tablets, laptops, etc.). The Yoga is an x86 machine and of course will cost much more than an ARM tablet (ARM is way the iPad, Transformer, Galaxy Tab, etc.) runs on.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
First thing to understand is there are 2 different versions of Win8 - one for ARM tablets and one of x86 (i.e. Intel) PCs (including tablets, laptops, etc.). The Yoga is an x86 machine and of course will cost much more than an ARM tablet (ARM is way the iPad, Transformer, Galaxy Tab, etc.) runs on.
I know that the Yoga is an x86 machine. I just mentioned it because that was my first choice for a Win8 device.

abhaywritescode

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm the opposite of most of you. I was a huge Apple ****** till the iOS 4 days, but then the OS became very very stale and incredibly boring. But even though its boring, the iPad is definitely by far the best tablet out today, but seeing the videos of the Windows 8 tablets, the iPad is soon going to have its first proper competitor because frankly the android tablets are very poor. I have an iPad 2 and its one of the best prices of technology I've ever owned.

Sent from my Samsung Focus Flash using Board Express

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Price won't be a problem. Just like now, you will be able to buy a W8 machine anywhere from $300-$3000. That's what's great about Windows, there's something for everyone.
I'm not particularly worried about the price of a Win8 tablet, my main concern is the availability of well designed "magnet" apps (like Flipboard on iOS) and the variety of apps (iPad is so versatile: has digital magazines, business apps, education apps etc.)

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm the opposite of most of you. I was a huge Apple ****** till the iOS 4 days, but then the OS became very very stale and incredibly boring. But even though its boring, the iPad is definitely by far the best tablet out today, but seeing the videos of the Windows 8 tablets, the iPad is soon going to have its first proper competitor because frankly the android tablets are very poor. I have an iPad 2 and its one of the best prices of technology I've ever owned.

okay, same question to you. Do you think that Win8 can match the versatility of the iPad (see above post)?

abhaywritescode

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
okay, same question to you. Do you think that Win8 can match the versatility of the iPad (see above post)?

To be honest its still too early to predict that. Even till today WP7 lacks several apps like Skype, etc. But I hope it does, because the Win8 tablet platform looks to be a real strong one. It all depends if the developers give enough importance to the platform. Some devs don't even bother because they get 60-70% of their money only from making iOS apps.

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not particularly worried about the price of a Win8 tablet, my main concern is the availability of well designed "magnet" apps (like Flipboard on iOS) and the variety of apps (iPad is so versatile: has digital magazines, business apps, education apps etc.)

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize they were only developing Win8 tablets for you. Never mind about the price point then.

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize they were only developing Win8 tablets for you. Never mind about the price point then.

LOL you took that the wrong way. I meant I'm sure that they can compete in price with the iPad, with a variety of prices like you said $300-$3000 depending on specs and x86 or ARM. So in terms of them pricing some ARM tablets at or lower than the iPad, I'm not worried. Hopes that clears up my comment :dry

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
To be honest its still too early to predict that. Even till today WP7 lacks several apps like Skype, etc. But I hope it does, because the Win8 tablet platform looks to be a real strong one. It all depends if the developers give enough importance to the platform. Some devs don't even bother because they get 60-70% of their money only from making iOS apps.

It's interesting and true what you say. My main draw to the iPad is the wealth of medical apps (reference, educational, etc) that would really help me now in med school. It's the only thing that really makes me want one, because iOS basically has the monopoly on that.

On the other hand, I would love the versatility and full-functionality of a Windows 8 tablet, which would also integrate nicely on the ecosystem. I just wonder if the medical apps won't come over, just as what has happened with WP7. Everyone develops for iOs first, Android second and... that's it.

PS: We do have Skype... I wanted to clear that up.

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I think the big issue is the dilemma of established ecosystem vs emerging ecosystem (and the uncertainty involved).

iOS has the largest app store in the tablet space, a number of exclusive apps not available on Android tablets, and integration with the Apple ecosystem regarding iCloud and AirPlay.

Win8 on the other hand is just emerging with the Windows Store (I saw a quote somewhere that there are 99 apps at the moment), it's uncertain whether developers will bring apps from iOS and Android over (and if they do, will they be on par in quality), and the "three screens" ecosystem has not manifested itself yet because Apollo and the retail version of Win8 have not been released.

I know that the Windows Store will fill up with apps but the uncertainty in the strength of integration and ecosystem gets to me sometimes. I know Win8 is a full fledged operating system (don't just say because it has Microsoft Office, iPad has [URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quickoffice-pro-hd-edit-office/id376212724?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]QuickOffice Pro HD[/URL] for $19.99) but I don't want it to be seen as a pseudo tablet OS. It has to be considered a tablet OS by developers and consumers, otherwise it won't get certain goodies like digital magazines, news streaming apps, and entertainment apps (like HBO Go).

Does that make any sense or am I just going crazy :confused:?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I understand what you'r esaying.

I think a lot depends on how quick adoption of Windows 8 is. Personally on desktops I don't think it's going to be adopted as quickly as Windows 7 was. Metro isn't really a hit among the general public people I know ridicule and laugh at the new start screen (been showing the Beta around on my laptop). I know most of them won't buy an upgrade, so it will depend on when they actually buy a new PC if they'll even bother to get it (assuming the tech saavy ones don't demand a downgrade from the OEM or pre-purchase Windows 7 before it goes off the shelves to downgrade themselves).

If Windows 8 adoption isn't really really good then I can see some developers holding off, at least on the Metro side of things.

I don't expect Windows 8 adoption to be as good as Windows 7 since most people are on 7 right now and simply won't see a reason to upgrade (or won't like the way Metro is pushed on them).

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 will get some good adoption but you have to remember it comes in 4 flavours but all based on Windows.

Server
PC
Tablet
Phone

The server for me is the biggy and I believe this to be a huge upgrade even over 2008 R2. That said it will introduce changes that will scare the pants of a lot of admins (Powershell, Core as standard) but at the same time fling the door wide open (Storage and Hyper V v3 as some examples). This backend overhaul for me is the most exciting.

I think the one thing about Windows 8 and its flavours is its scary because of one thing or another and at the same time hugely exciting. I have no doubt the tablets will be awesome and will have the potential to sell bucket loads. Lets not forget you will have all manor of devices with all manor of features, at all manor of price points.

Bring it ON!

ymc932

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
When you start comparing Win 8 tablets vs Ipad or Android tablets, you have to be aware what system you are comparing to. Win 8 on ARM processors tablets will perform very differently from x86 tablets...

Battery life on x86 tablets will be only half that of ARM based tablets. This ratio is unlikely to change as x86 are capable of performing more processing & therefore eats up more power.

A Win8 x86 tablet can run native Photoshop, MS office software while on ARM tablet, you will need to wait for these developers to come up with a scaled down app specifically for ARM system.

MS is hoping to migrate all the apps from WP7 to Win 8 compatible (Apollo) so that all ARM based tablets at launch will have access to the apps currently available in WP7 marketplace.

So can ARM based Win 8 tablet challenge iPad, I don't see why not considering the marketplace is growing rapidly. As for x86 Win 8 tablets, there is no comparison as its for totally very different functions.

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

Aadamgibson

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 tablets could mostly be identified by app selection. Still, it's going to be difficult for Microsoft to go with the wide environment of applications that has evolved around the iPad. To the level that application providers port their application to the product friendly City interface, then there could be a vast app selection available for Windows 8 tablets. The real difference to me is the cost of applications, where the common cost of Windows suitable application seems to be way higher than the common cost of a iPad applications.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs