Anything the Acer Iconia W500 will not be able to do?

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Really thinking about getting a w500. Is there anything that this tablet cannot do that ones come out in the fall in regards to windows 8? I know someone on a different thread mentioned snap metro, whats that? Also how much will windows 8 cost and if you purchase it for your pc will you have to purchase it for your iconia as well? thanks!

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi buckeye! I've had the w500 for almost a year and have been running the windows 8 consumer preview since a few days after its release. Due to the screen resolution, the w500 doesn't support snap - this is the implementation of active multitasking in metro that allows you to view/use two apps side by side simultaneously. http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/windows8/resolution-windows-8-metro-ui-snap-140930

Otherwise, my windows 8 experience on this tablet has been much better than windows 7 (although I do miss some of the gestures).

I'm not up on the latest pricing. I know that you generally pay per license/machine and that ms made discounted family packs of 3 licenses available for windows 7 - not sure if they will do th same for 8. With windows 8, there will be a class of arm tablets that run an oem-exclusive version if windows 8 that only has the metro UI and and it the traditional desktop one.

You might want to wait for new window 8-specific hardware

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

sinlessearth

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
One more thing to think about. If you get the w500 it runs full windows 8. If you wait to get an WinRT version it may be limited to Metro only. This is the rumor on the net.

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
W500 is a fantastic machine. It's very fast and versitle. The only issue i've ever run into is a lack of a pen. As Electricbopeep says, win8 runs great on it. You will lose the snap feature do to resolution requirements, however you'll be fine without it. By the way, the snap window is how you can view multiple windows on the same screen at one time while in metro. You can still do it in desktop mode. And yes, windows is one copy per machine, however as already mentioned, MS does have family deals and student deals, etc. So look into those.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
There is also the question of drivers, for instance I have a Fujitsu T900 and the rumour is that there will be no driver support for Windows 8; the main problem for me is the pen support i.e. no start menu in the bottom left of the screen, no recently used in the top left although it works with the mouse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss