Asus Transformer Book

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Finally. When W8 was first released, I knew devices like this would be possible. This is what excited me about W8. All the critics talking about how it's a pain/confusing to go from Metro to Desktop, how this is the next Vista, how W8 is clunky with a keyboard and mouse, how a tablet OS doesn't belong on a desktop, etc.

In my view, being able to go from Metro to Desktop is a positive, not a negative. Desktops (with traditional keyboard and mice) have long been dissapearing in favor of laptops, and more recently, tablets. I'd say the vast majority of people own laptops these days, and when considering future purchases, most are looking at laptops/tablets as opposed to desktop PC's.

-W8 on a laptop with a nice large multitouch trackpad (similar to Apple's) with all the W8 gestures built in to the trackpad will be anything but clunky. It will be a pleasure to use, scrolling horizontally, swiping to get the charms, etc.

-W8 on a touchscreen laptop, with the same large trackpad, will just add another dimension of usability.

-W8 (intel versions) on a tablet will be by far the most powerful tablets available today, able to run any Windows 7 program while additionally functioning as a beautiful tablet OS.

And now we have Hybrids such as this Asus Transformer Book.

2012-06-04-image-2.jpg

Essentially a detatchable tablet, with all the good specs..

-Ivy Bridge
-Full HD resolution screen
-4Gb ram (hopefully upgradable)
-SSD
-NVIDIA graphics
-HDMI out
-Front/rear cameras
-Ability to attach/detatch any peripherals/accessories as you would a normal PC.

Honestly, what more could you want in a device. This device is undoubtedly far more powerful in what it can do than any tablet on the market today. The iPad is literally a joke compared to something like this. You would have to buy a Macbook air with Windows 7 and an iPad to compete with a device like this. Why buy a separate laptop and tablet when you can have both in one.

Battery life is definetely a concern with a device like this, as is the semi clunky looking design and long term durability of the "latch" mechanism. Still, the idea in theory is genius. If the manufacturers can push out elegant looking devices such as this that function well and offer way better usability/practicality than Droid or Apple can offer, then I strongly believe that these will sell well.

I would certainly be willing to part with over $1k for a well-made (less plastic) device like this.

Having a dock which would allow the Laptop/hybrid to connect to external stereo/TV system would only sweeten the deal, and eliminate my need for any other computer.

Anyone else excited about what's to come?

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I so want one of these!! Do you think it will be powerful enough to run something like SolidWorks (CAD software)?

This could easily become my main PC.

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I so want one of these!! Do you think it will be powerful enough to run something like SolidWorks (CAD software)?

This could easily become my main PC.

Any Ivy Bridge processor, SSD, even with only 4gb of ram would be more than enough to run CAD software.

I'm an engineer also and at my old job used to run AutoCAD 2010 alot on my Windows XP machine with only 4gb of ram (not sure if all that ram was even usable with Windows XP). This little tablet's specs blows my old work computer's out of the water, so yeah, connect an external monitor/mouse to this little tablet and you have a full CAD workstation.

To me that ends the debate of which tablets are the best..

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of waiting to see what Nokia comes out with but this ASUS 600 and 810 is probably what I will get. So this fall I'm buying a new W8 phone and 2 tablets/laptop. Start saving now :)

A simple question though. Do you think it will get hot while using on my lap now that the components on the inside are different than a regular laptop????????

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
A simple question though. Do you think it will get hot while using on my lap now that the components on the inside are different than a regular laptop????????

All the performance components are in the screen, not the keyboard portion...so even if it gets hot, it won't burn your legs. Big difference over a traditional laptop in that way.

But yeah, with Ivy Bridge in a profile that small, it'll probably get pretty warm when you're doing CPU-intensive stuff.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
All the performance components are in the screen, not the keyboard portion...so even if it gets hot, it won't burn your legs. Big difference over a traditional laptop in that way.

But yeah, with Ivy Bridge in a profile that small, it'll probably get pretty warm when you're doing CPU-intensive stuff.

If there is some sort of extended battery in the keyboard, then that part might get slightly hot.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
If there is some sort of extended battery in the keyboard, then that part might get slightly hot.

There is (at least on the Android Asus Transformer, so I'm sure there is on these too), but while a battery might get warm, it's not going to get hot like the CPU does. I wouldn't worry about burned laps with any of these machines.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes