Microsoft Surface

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think I've just about had it with The Verge's community. There was a guy arguing with me about the existence of cameras on the Microsoft Surface tablets. Their freaking existence, right in the face of a live blog and press shots.

The verge is an apple site, and what you're reading there is FEAR.

As for me, RT probably for Mum, Pro for me. Guess a WP8 handset and my trusty Acer W500 will have to keep me happy till it comes out 3 months after the RT.

HishamElfar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Did they mention if any of the models will have 3/4G?

Also did I imagine it, or did they say "Gorrila Glas 2.0" have any other devices actually been announced with the new extra strong glass?

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone to tether my tablets. Much cheaper to add $20 to my phone data than to have a completely separate data plan on a tablet. I never come close to the 5gb limit anyway.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone to tether my tablets. Much cheaper to add $20 to my phone data than to have a completely separate data plan on a tablet. I never come close to the 5gb limit anyway.

This. Or purchase a MiFi device to use on a pre-paid plan. T-Mobile has great speeds and great prices for their pre-paid. Plus I like not having to choose which carrier my tab will work with.

Did they mention if any of the models will have 3/4G?

Also did I imagine it, or did they say "Gorrila Glas 2.0" have any other devices actually been announced with the new extra strong glass?

Yes, they did say Gorilla Glass 2.0. And no, I haven't heard of any other product with it.

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Can some of you give me your opinions in to why you would purchase this over an ultrabook? Assume the price on the Pro is the same and both with Win8.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Why? Because you won't need both a tablet and an ultrabook? Or because your ultrabook will have a touch screen? Or because this device is absolutely gorgeous?

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
This article makes me wonder what the writer is thinking and how much of a ****** he is? His reason that the surface (Win8) can't replace a notebook is because you can't use the keyboard in your lap. Really? I rarely have used any notebooks on my lap because of heat and comfort and when I do it is to do something real quick, in which case you wouldn't need the keyboard on a surface.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/06/19/microsoft-surface-wont-replace-your-laptop/

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I would choose it over an ultrabook simply because of its ability to morph from a tablet to a laptop and back to a tablet. It does this without a bulky dock to carry around.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
This article makes me wonder what the writer is thinking and how much of a ****** he is? His reason that the surface (Win8) can't replace a notebook is because you can't use the keyboard in your lap. Really? I rarely have used any notebooks on my lap because of heat and comfort and when I do it is to do something real quick, in which case you wouldn't need the keyboard on a surface.

Microsoft Surface Won't Replace Your Laptop - Forbes

I think he makes a valid point. It's something I thought about after reading a Gizmodo post about the Touch Cover. Assuming you're some press journalist you might not have a flat table to park your Surface. At that point you'd have to put it on your lap to which it might fall over if you move wrong. Though one could probably rectify that by placing a smooth surface on your lap, but I don't people are going to be carrying something like that around with them. That leaves typing with your legs crossed, and that still might be tough.

So to a degree yeah Surface isn't really replacing an ultrabook. It's close though

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Because this is more portable than an ultra book. I love small screens. I had an 11" laptop in '07 before all the cool kids started doing it. It is a tablet, which I prefer to a laptop. But it has a keyboard for when I need to type a long email, blog post, Craigslist ad, etc. in short 80% of the time I want a tablet and only want a notebook 20% of the time, so I'd rather buy a product that is a tablet first and an ultra book second.

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually curious as to how that keyboard actually feels. At first glance I thought, that has to be a gimmick, it has the form, but how can it function?

I need to feel that keyboard, I hope it isn't soft at all. Microsoft did a wonderful job and displaying it in their commercial. They showed liquid metal dropping onto it, which makes me even more curious.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I mean this thing is like MAJOR. I'm still thinking about it. The first modern tablet with a Desktop OS on it (referring to RT). If it's priced decent, do you know what that means? Let me run down the scenario

Apple: Let's say I never bought an iPad but wanted a tablet. Something that does more than just run the same apps on a bigger screen. What if I'm at work and I have free time to jail break my phone but don't want to lug around my laptop? BOOM, this'll work

Blackberry: Never really cared for the Playbook and biding my time until more apps become available. Don't want a Kindle or Nook tablet and not interested in Android. Windows RT has USB ports, which means I can sideload media until my phone. I have a WORKING desktop OS on the go

Android: I want to reflash my phone but I'm not at home with my computer. THIS. WORKS.

So yes, I see A LOT of fear from the people who have committed their lives to a vendor for whatever reason. This appeals to EVERY OS user out there. You can load iTunes and Zune on this, side load files to your device, AND not have to be inconvenienced by carrying a huge device. I see a lot of things in my house that can be replaced by this

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
tumblr_m5wjcdYddf1ro3i3xo1_1280.jpg

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed an extreme amount of hate/fear from comments around the net. It's pretty funny.

I'm happy when I see a good Apple or Android product. It means that the ball is being advanced, and everyone will try to step up. That's good for everyone.

What I think is most hilarious is that I do remember seeing a lot of Apple fanboys talk about how MS has no creativity and vision. They went on and on about how MS really should learn from Apple.

So now, we see that MS has learned from Apple. The whole presentation actually felt very much like a Steve Jobs presentation. The way the speakers described the product was soooo Apple.

And now Apple fanboys are crying, "Copy cat!"

Geez.

johnsonbrown220

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft reveals Windows Phone Tango update details

To give more information about the company?s upcoming ?Tango? Windows Phone operating system Microsoft has updated its website. The small update will hit the build number up to 7.10.8773.98 and will update the messaging app, allowing users to attach multiple files to a single message. You can even import the contacts from the SIM card with the help of Tango. The new version of the Windows Phone operating system is already shipping on the European version of the Nokia Lumia 900. But till now it is unclear when it will be made available to other Windows Phone handsets and carrier-branded devices.:lol::dry:cool::cool:

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd still have to take a look at it before I bought it. I'm not going to be one of the first to jump in.

The keynote actually did not talk about the software, Windows 8 as much. If the case is that you can download any Windows 7 application onto this device, then it won't fail because of not having enough apps like other tablets do.

Which is a good thing!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos