08-26-2012 02:29 PM
61 123
tools
    I think a $600 32GB Surface with Office and a Keyboard isn't expensive, I'd say that's reasonable, but i do see other peoples points about market share...

This has to be a very tough decision for MS to make and I think that's why they didn't release prices at the event..

They wanted to get a feel for how this would be taken.. So far everyone bar the apple loving sites have said this could be interesting..

Postive first impressions normally go down well. Who knows what the pricing is going to be maybe MS are waiting to see what OEMs come up with and base their pricing around that!
    06-24-2012 12:15 PM
    $599 is a fair price for the Surface, but not many would pay that for it. Most people who are shopping for a tablet want the iPad or want something cheaper than the iPad. Very few people want something other than the iPad at iPad prices. Now, MS could pull $499, which is iPad prices so long as: 1. They offer the 32 GB at that price, double memory to comprable iPad will draw some people. 2. They bundle the TouchCover and don't make you buy it separate, this will be seen as a huge draw to many people. 3. They have an aggressive campaign that shows what it can do (particularly highlighting things the Surface can do that the iPad can't without ever mentioning the iPad in their ads).

People expect to pay a premium for Apple products, so if you price your product like an Apple product, people will view you as being over priced, whether or not that opinion is actually justified.
    dlusted likes this.
    06-25-2012 01:26 AM
    I expect the $500 price point to be the low end, though I'd love to see $399 I think that is too low for what they are offering. I personally would not purchase one until it's at least $399 but that just means I won't get one I'd imagine lol!

What I would like to see offered is another tablet, 7" to compete with the Fire and others more directly. With Google getting a decent 7" tablet out tomorrow at $199 it is going to be hard to not jump at it. I would love to see a $200-$250 MS device running WP8 OS (or whatever) to use as an ereader and light app device. Maybe coming from the Barnes and Noble collaboration? That would sell to me anyway, and others I'm sure. Have heard nothing on this front though solid so I'm left to drool at the new Nexus Tablet.
    06-25-2012 10:23 AM
    The Nexus Tablet ... hmmmm ... Cheap and I already have a lot invested in Android.

Its just the echo system that the surface would bring is too tempting.

Let hope microsoft are serious about gaining market share and price the god dam thing competively
    06-25-2012 10:29 AM
    I expect the $500 price point to be the low end, though I'd love to see $399 I think that is too low for what they are offering. I personally would not purchase one until it's at least $399 but that just means I won't get one I'd imagine lol!

What I would like to see offered is another tablet, 7" to compete with the Fire and others more directly. With Google getting a decent 7" tablet out tomorrow at $199 it is going to be hard to not jump at it. I would love to see a $200-$250 MS device running WP8 OS (or whatever) to use as an ereader and light app device. Maybe coming from the Barnes and Noble collaboration? That would sell to me anyway, and others I'm sure. Have heard nothing on this front though solid so I'm left to drool at the new Nexus Tablet.
    Even though nothing has been announced yet, I think a next-generation Nook Tablet priced at about $249 and running some variety of W8 or WP8 is an absolute given. It won't have Surface magnesium construction, Surface performance, Surface's features, or Surface screen size, but it won't have the Surface's price either. Different strokes for different folks.
    06-25-2012 07:24 PM
    $599 is a fair price for the Surface, but not many would pay that for it. Most people who are shopping for a tablet want the iPad or want something cheaper than the iPad. Very few people want something other than the iPad at iPad prices. Now, MS could pull $499, which is iPad prices so long as: 1. They offer the 32 GB at that price, double memory to comprable iPad will draw some people. 2. They bundle the TouchCover and don't make you buy it separate, this will be seen as a huge draw to many people. 3. They have an aggressive campaign that shows what it can do (particularly highlighting things the Surface can do that the iPad can't without ever mentioning the iPad in their ads).

People expect to pay a premium for Apple products, so if you price your product like an Apple product, people will view you as being over priced, whether or not that opinion is actually justified.
    Who do you think you are to come up with such a well written, perfectly logical and objective piece? You have some nerve! I sincerely hope the mods take you out back and give a proper flogging. Great job!
    dlusted, Mokonoko and jdevenberg like this.
    06-26-2012 09:27 AM
    A tablet with a keyboard that allow me to be more productive (output) rather than just consuming (input). A tablet fit nicely with my PC and phone. A tablet with latest sexy OS that is going to rule again.

Surface for the win :)

Already started to learn about doing windows 8 apps to catch up. Can't wait for Surface!
    07-14-2012 01:37 AM
    So are we agreed that MSFT should sell the RTM 32/64GB version of the surface with keyboard for $499/599

This would seem to attract a lot of people?

After much searching around the Internet I think MSFT will probably sell the 32GB with keyboard for $599 though.

Will the masses buy it? And where do you think they will sell them? Directly or in high street retailers?
    07-14-2012 07:56 AM
    I think the Surface will be fine with the RT version starting at $599. It's a premium product.

This may be an issue if it was the only Windows 8 tablet being sold. But it's not. There will be other lower quality tablets with cheaper parts being sold by some OEMs at lower prices. But the purpose of Surface is to give consumers the option of a premium product running Windows 8.
    07-14-2012 01:38 PM
    The latest news heard about surface is its price will be less than $200,$199maybe so to compete directly with cheaper competitors in the tablet world like GoogleĎs Nexus 7 and Amazonís Kindle Fire...hnnn,to me,I think that is impossible...and surface will be an expensive tablet that I cannot afford....
    08-23-2012 08:23 PM
    I think the $199 Surface is a subsidized deal where you have to commit to some other MS electronic services, like the $99 Xbox (which requires two years of Xbox Gold at a slightly-inflated price). Basically the down payment of a financed product instead of the total purchase price.
    08-26-2012 02:29 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD