Microsoft Surface

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd still have to take a look at it before I bought it. I'm not going to be one of the first to jump in.

The keynote actually did not talk about the software, Windows 8 as much. If the case is that you can download any Windows 7 application onto this device, then it won't fail because of not having enough apps like other tablets do.

Which is a good thing!!!

The Surface Pro will be able to run any Windows 7 application, because it has an x86 processor and Windows 8 Professional. You may need to use a USB stick or an external optical drive to install the application, but if it ran on Windows 7, it WILL run on the Surface Pro.

With the Surface RT, you need to run apps specifically designed for WIndows RT, the ARM version of Windows. So you won't be able to use legacy Windows 7 software.

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd still have to take a look at it before I bought it. I'm not going to be one of the first to jump in.

The keynote actually did not talk about the software, Windows 8 as much. If the case is that you can download any Windows 7 application onto this device, then it won't fail because of not having enough apps like other tablets do.

Which is a good thing!!!

They didn't have to talk about the software, because it is already in the hands of many people, and has been talked about for months. It is already known that the pro version will run Win 7 software.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft outsource Surface tablets to Pegatron; expected prices above US$599

I hope this site isn't right when it says the ARM version will be at least $599. That might cause it to be a total flop, esp. since we don't know what all will be included with the tablets and what will be sold as accessories.

A 32 gb iPad sells for $599. Why would a 32 gb Surface RT, which has a lower-res screen but also has Microsoft Office Home & Student included for free (a $120 value), not sell for around $599?

People are expecting Kindle Fire pricing for the Surface just because it's not Apple. That's absurd. I own a Kindle Fire. The case is plastic, not magnesium (albeit sturdy plastic). The screen is half the size and of mediocre quality, the guts are slow as molasses, the touchscreen drivers have all the love and care of a Soviet automobile, it has no webcams, it has no hardware buttons (home, volume, etc), and it's generally total junk as anything besides an e-reader and a Netflix viewer. It costs $199 because it's a $199 device. The Surface is NOT a $199 device.

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The surface will be expensive, 599-799 I would think.

Hopefully I could get a Christmas sale. But I don't know, this new device is questionable. You have to be apprehensive.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The surface will be expensive, 599-799 I would think.

Hopefully I could get a Christmas sale. But I don't know, this new device is questionable. You have to be apprehensive.

It's the same as a comparable iPad, as stated above, so I wouldn't say it's expensive. I believe at that price it would be going for what it's worth.

And please stop it, it's a REAL device, not one of 'questionable' existence. C'mmon.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
The reason to make it less expensive is to "buy" market share. Obviously $199 is too cheap but, for example, $399 or even $499 would work properly. Remember MS specifically said they are pricing the RT tablets in line with other ARM tablets. Well the baseline for ARM tablets is between $399 and $499 so expect pricing in that line.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
It will be interesting to see if Nokia comes up with an alternative.

I just hope that MS keeps filling the Surface Pro with more goodies and keeps the end result competitive because my next years bonus is definitely going to be spent on one.

MS got the right idea here...they have not gone the route of "ipad killer" but instead have looked at a game changer. This is what is needed.

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: pricing concerns, I think Microsoft needs to be aggressive here. While an argument can be made for similar pricing to an ipad on a feature by feature basis, Microsoft is playing catch up and really could grab serious market share with aggressive pricing. Otherwise it's Zune HD all over again.

Also Google is going to have its own tablets on the market soon, and they are going aggressive on the pricing from the looks of it. Someone mentioned on another thread that Google will own the low cost tablet market like that is a bad thing. I think at this point, as the mobile market is maturing, it's about getting people into an ecosystem. A $600 entry point for your tablets isn't going to cut it. Especially if you are playing catch up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I think a $600 32GB Surface with Office and a Keyboard isn't expensive, I'd say that's reasonable, but i do see other peoples points about market share...

This has to be a very tough decision for MS to make and I think that's why they didn't release prices at the event..

They wanted to get a feel for how this would be taken.. So far everyone bar the apple loving sites have said this could be interesting..

Postive first impressions normally go down well. Who knows what the pricing is going to be maybe MS are waiting to see what OEMs come up with and base their pricing around that!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
$599 is a fair price for the Surface, but not many would pay that for it. Most people who are shopping for a tablet want the iPad or want something cheaper than the iPad. Very few people want something other than the iPad at iPad prices. Now, MS could pull $499, which is iPad prices so long as: 1. They offer the 32 GB at that price, double memory to comprable iPad will draw some people. 2. They bundle the TouchCover and don't make you buy it separate, this will be seen as a huge draw to many people. 3. They have an aggressive campaign that shows what it can do (particularly highlighting things the Surface can do that the iPad can't without ever mentioning the iPad in their ads).

People expect to pay a premium for Apple products, so if you price your product like an Apple product, people will view you as being over priced, whether or not that opinion is actually justified.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I expect the $500 price point to be the low end, though I'd love to see $399 I think that is too low for what they are offering. I personally would not purchase one until it's at least $399 but that just means I won't get one I'd imagine lol!

What I would like to see offered is another tablet, 7" to compete with the Fire and others more directly. With Google getting a decent 7" tablet out tomorrow at $199 it is going to be hard to not jump at it. I would love to see a $200-$250 MS device running WP8 OS (or whatever) to use as an ereader and light app device. Maybe coming from the Barnes and Noble collaboration? That would sell to me anyway, and others I'm sure. Have heard nothing on this front though solid so I'm left to drool at the new Nexus Tablet.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus Tablet ... hmmmm ... Cheap and I already have a lot invested in Android.

Its just the echo system that the surface would bring is too tempting.

Let hope microsoft are serious about gaining market share and price the god dam thing competively

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I expect the $500 price point to be the low end, though I'd love to see $399 I think that is too low for what they are offering. I personally would not purchase one until it's at least $399 but that just means I won't get one I'd imagine lol!

What I would like to see offered is another tablet, 7" to compete with the Fire and others more directly. With Google getting a decent 7" tablet out tomorrow at $199 it is going to be hard to not jump at it. I would love to see a $200-$250 MS device running WP8 OS (or whatever) to use as an ereader and light app device. Maybe coming from the Barnes and Noble collaboration? That would sell to me anyway, and others I'm sure. Have heard nothing on this front though solid so I'm left to drool at the new Nexus Tablet.

Even though nothing has been announced yet, I think a next-generation Nook Tablet priced at about $249 and running some variety of W8 or WP8 is an absolute given. It won't have Surface magnesium construction, Surface performance, Surface's features, or Surface screen size, but it won't have the Surface's price either. Different strokes for different folks.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
$599 is a fair price for the Surface, but not many would pay that for it. Most people who are shopping for a tablet want the iPad or want something cheaper than the iPad. Very few people want something other than the iPad at iPad prices. Now, MS could pull $499, which is iPad prices so long as: 1. They offer the 32 GB at that price, double memory to comprable iPad will draw some people. 2. They bundle the TouchCover and don't make you buy it separate, this will be seen as a huge draw to many people. 3. They have an aggressive campaign that shows what it can do (particularly highlighting things the Surface can do that the iPad can't without ever mentioning the iPad in their ads).

People expect to pay a premium for Apple products, so if you price your product like an Apple product, people will view you as being over priced, whether or not that opinion is actually justified.
Who do you think you are to come up with such a well written, perfectly logical and objective piece? You have some nerve! I sincerely hope the mods take you out back and give a proper flogging. Great job!

eLseStudio

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
A tablet with a keyboard that allow me to be more productive (output) rather than just consuming (input). A tablet fit nicely with my PC and phone. A tablet with latest sexy OS that is going to rule again.

Surface for the win :)

Already started to learn about doing windows 8 apps to catch up. Can't wait for Surface!

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
So are we agreed that MSFT should sell the RTM 32/64GB version of the surface with keyboard for $499/599

This would seem to attract a lot of people?

After much searching around the Internet I think MSFT will probably sell the 32GB with keyboard for $599 though.

Will the masses buy it? And where do you think they will sell them? Directly or in high street retailers?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the Surface will be fine with the RT version starting at $599. It's a premium product.

This may be an issue if it was the only Windows 8 tablet being sold. But it's not. There will be other lower quality tablets with cheaper parts being sold by some OEMs at lower prices. But the purpose of Surface is to give consumers the option of a premium product running Windows 8.

todaylingtec

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
The latest news heard about surface is its price will be less than $200,$199maybe so to compete directly with cheaper competitors in the tablet world like Google?s Nexus 7 and Amazon?s Kindle Fire...hnnn,to me,I think that is impossible...and surface will be an expensive tablet that I cannot afford....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz