ZDNET trolling on Win8 again.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Reading the comments on some of these editorials is the most frustrating part. And you can't say anything because if you do you're flamed as a ****** and get crapped on.

You have one guy say "The Metro UI isn't that bad"
Then a reply "Why would you want a tablet OS on a desktop?"

Then someone else says "The multitasking on the Surface will be awesome"
Then a reply "Why would you want a desktop OS on a tablet?"

People are stupid. And it seems to me that a lot of people don't realize that a normal Windows desktop still exists in Windows 8 but proceed to talk major crap about it.

They just don't like that Windows desktop will tie into Windows tablets and phones better than their OSX does iOS.

Now, to get Microsoft to stop *****ing about games saving data to Skydrive so my Survivalcraft game on the phone can be automatically updated on my Surface when I go to play on that!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Although I love my Windows Phone and am interested in a Surface tablet, I agree that Windows 8 is clunky on a desktop. I'm not a fangirl of all things Microsoft.

I'll run Windows 7/Linux on my desktop and laptops.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The author makes it sound like consumers will have a choice. Windows 8 is the next Windows Operating System. End of story.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Although I love my Windows Phone and am interested in a Surface tablet, I agree that Windows 8 is clunky on a desktop. I'm not a fangirl of all things Microsoft.

See, I sold my desktop a year ago because I never use it. I've gotten to a point that I want and need only two devices. A portable machine with some power and a phone with some function. Currently the Arrive treats me well but my convertible laptop lacks touch input and using a tablet with a pen all the time sucks(love the laptop, don't get me wrong the Core 2 Duo will still rip a dvd in under 30 mins). The Surface Pro lets me keep my pen, keyboard, and touch input all in one machine with no need to sync 3 computers(desktop, laptop, tablet). Code Composer Studio is $500 for a single computer license so I can't just go install it on multiple machines.

I used to be REALLY into computers(building, repairing, gaming, tweaking, overclocking, ect) but now all I want is something that works. WPx and W8 look to be my solution... If they pull it off well.

Imagine, you play a bit of Survivalcraft(or Final Fantasy, Spliter Cell whatever floats your boat) on your tablet in front of the TV, go to bed, then on lunch break you whip out your phone and continue where you left off on the tablet at home because it synced the savegame via Skydrive.

Ahhhhh, one can dream.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not completely sold on Win 8. I had the preview release on my notebook, but was having issues with the WP7 emulator and a couple of other things and went back to 7 for now. I definitely will love it on a tablet, but trying to use it as a desktop without a touchscreen felt awkward. Is there an easy way to get to the classic start screen for non-metro apps?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had no problems using the interface on a desktop. I don't understand how it can be "difficult" to use? :straight: The preview was buggy, but that was a... "preview".

Of course, on a tablet hybrid like the Surface is where the OS will shine.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
When I saw this thread's title I thought the OP might be overreacting by using the word "trolling", but it turns out that's an accurate description. Now, I'm not a big fan of W8 and I don't think I'll be installing it on my PCs. But worse than Windows ME? Come on.

And he really expects me to believe that Windows developers are developing in a VM? There's no way that would be anything but painful. Either he doesn't understand the difference between dual boot and a VM, or he's making up crap.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I disagree. My wife and I both quite like windows 8 on her desktop. iTunes er got used when it had windows 7 and now we use it daily with windows 8 preview.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When I saw this thread's title I thought the OP might be overreacting by using the word "trolling", but it turns out that's an accurate description. Now, I'm not a big fan of W8 and I don't think I'll be installing it on my PCs. But worse than Windows ME? Come on.

And he really expects me to believe that Windows developers are developing in a VM? There's no way that would be anything but painful. Either he doesn't understand the difference between dual boot and a VM, or he's making up crap.

I do not buy "worse than ME", nor do I buy "developing in a VM".

However, my prediction is that Win8 will be a dud, along the lines of Vista. Microsoft will probably fix the issues in Win8 when it releases Win9.

Microsoft tends to release a great version of Windows, followed by a mediocre version, and then followed by another great version.

I also do not see adoption of Win8 by enterprises, just like enterprises did not adopt Vista.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tested it myself, but I've read that this doesn't work in the new Release Preview and presumably will not work in the final release either. It just seems like stubborn behavior to me. Pretty unfortunate.

I do not know either. The last version I've tried was Consumer Preview. I have not tried Release Preview.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Everywhere is spreading lies about Windows 8.

SJVN is back again with another "Reasons to skip Windows". He was so wrong about Windows 7 back in 2009.

Five ways to skip Windows 8 | ZDNet
Seven reasons to skip upgrading to Windows 7 | Computerworld Blogs

In a way, he was right about Windows 7 back in 2009, not so much for consumers, but for enterprise.

Many enterprises are just rolling out Windows 7 now, due to the issues he mentioned. Those same enterprises skipped Vista completely, and are finally switching from XP to 7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)