Sony VAIO Duo 11

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
tbh, i don't think Sony can afford to keep doing things like avoiding Win8 because of Xbox/PS rivalry

their TV business is going down the drain fast (Visions doesn't stock Sony TVs anymore because of fear that they'd go under) and their Computer business isn't doing all that great lately, not to mention their mobile division is getting kicked around by HTC and Samsung

their corporate culture has to change within the next two years

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, divisions in Sony run almost independently of each other, with little cooperation. Sony computers doesn't care about xbox branding in windows 8 so long as they are moving computers. Think of the glory that could have been had the gaming and phone departments concentrated on one device instead of developing the competing and underwhelming Xperia Play and playstation vita products. Our if Sony records and the Walkman decision had cooperated in the early days of mp3 players. With Walkman devices and Sony records has cooperated instead of Sony records trying to keep from going digital, we could have had a legitimate iTunes/iPod competitor.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Ivy Bridge. Digitizer pen. 11.6" screen. 1080p. This is Sony bringing its A-game. I think it's great looking too, but that's subjective.

sony-vaio-duo-11-pr.jpg

Sony unveils VAIO Duo 11 slide-out tablet, Tap 20 portable touchscreen all-in-one -- Engadget

The Tab 20 desktop-tablet-meets-all-in-one-PC is also really interesting. I absolutely could see it being successful as a family-oriented multimedia machine. Shame about the 20" 900p screen.

Sparkyscrum

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting to see they are bring the i7 chips to this device. I just wonder if choosing the U variant is a good idea as its a lot slower version chip (and dual core only).

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting to see they are bring the i7 chips to this device. I just wonder if choosing the U variant is a good idea as its a lot slower version chip (and dual core only).

It may be to distinguish the non-ULV Vaio Z. It may also keep costs down in terms of delivering acceptable battery and cooling in a device this thin (and the lower price point would further distinguish the Vaio Z).

Sparkyscrum

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
It may be to distinguish the non-ULV Vaio Z. It may also keep costs down in terms of delivering acceptable battery and cooling in a device this thin (and the lower price point would further distinguish the Vaio Z).

Maybe but to under power the device doesn't seem a good idea. However I wonder if its part of the marketing to say its an i7 chip without recognising its an unpowered chip?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe but to under power the device doesn't seem a good idea. However I wonder if its part of the marketing to say its an i7 chip without recognising its an unpowered chip?

ULV CPUs are so common I hesitate to call them "underpowered," particularly when paired with a proper SSD. The Vaio Z is the exception to the rule...basically all other ultraportable laptops (including the MacBook Air, which dominates ultraportable sales) use ULV processors.

For day-to-day use, a ULV CPU + SSD is as fast or faster than a full-voltage CPU + HDD. So I think the SSD-equipped Duo 11 will do just fine for most people's use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)