What Windows 8 tablet will you get?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Been a bit disappointed about the lack of Windows 8 tablet discussion here so lets discuss what tablet are you thinking of buying.

Personally looking for tablet hybrid with detachable keyboard. At first i was ok that i could go for RT but more i have thought about it, more certain i'am that X86 Windows 8 is what i need. Putting those together Surface Pro is the obvious choice. Problem is that i have sold my laptop and really need something to fill that space in months time. Especially here in Europe MS is not known to provide stuff in time so who knows when the Pro Surface lands here.

HP envy x2 looks quite nice and seems to be quite polished device. Though it does have Clover Trail and quite lousy screen resolution, but also cheaper price.
VAIO Duo 11 is also quite interesting. It has the screen resolution and power inside, but it's also pricey and not totally sold on that formfactor.
It's a pity that Acer decided to make Iconia W700 with that weird stand and no detachable keyboard. Could have been the device to get.

GB330033

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to do my best to get a Surface RT at the midnight launch. I've got a laptop that I'll run Windows 8 proper on, and whatever tablet I get is going to be just for tablet things. Lots of content consumption, very little content creation, so the RT is perfect for me

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to do my best to get a Surface RT at the midnight launch. I've got a laptop that I'll run Windows 8 proper on, and whatever tablet I get is going to be just for tablet things. Lots of content consumption, very little content creation, so the RT is perfect for me

I wish it was so easy for me. If i was not in university now and truly need to carry excel, word, photoshop etc with me i would get Surface RT in a heartbeat.

While i know it would be mad to get RT Surface, i still kind of want it. :D I so wish Surface Pro was available Q4 here in Europe.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Surface RT for me. My laptop is still able to do the heavy lifting I need it to do. I will use the RT for most work tasks and school work. If I need to Photoshop or edit video I will break out my laptop.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I will probably be getting the Asus tab this year and a Haswell powered Surface 2 next year. I like the Surface devices but RT is out because I dont want to be restricted to the Store for applications and I have at least one program that wont run there. The Pro will be 3 months later but with a full core i5 processor wont give more than 5-6 hours battery life and from my current usage on an Acer W500 thats not enough. So I'll go atom now and hope the next gen core CPU's are significantly better on battery life.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Btw does anybody know anything about the AMD's Ivy Bridge competitor? I believe there was supposed to be tablets using it this year.

Another question. W8 RT i believe is shipping with Office, but are any of the X86 tablets shipping with it?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Btw does anybody know anything about the AMD's Ivy Bridge competitor? I believe there was supposed to be tablets using it this year.

Another question. W8 RT i believe is shipping with Office, but are any of the X86 tablets shipping with it?

it will matter to the OEMs not MS

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
To me, it entirely depends on price. The ThinkPad Tablet 2 looks like one of the best IMO and that would probably be my first choice, but cost will likely limit me to an RT as I already have a nice HP laptop for the heavy lifting.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Another tablet worth to be mentioned is ASUS Transformer Book.
Imo it's one of the best looking and supposedly best build tablet there is by people who have been able to use it. i3, i5 and i7 cores available, USB 3.0, 4GB of RAM and with full HD screen it's certainly not lacking on specs. Would happily pay slightly over 1000 euros for the i5 version.

But like Surface Pro it's release date seems to be somewhere in 2013.

it will matter to the OEMs not MS

Not following you there.

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Not following you there.

He means that it will be up to HP, Acer, etc. as to whether they install Office on their x86 tablets or not. MS has no say in that. If history is any indicator, office will not be include on many, if any at all, intel/amd powered tablets.

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been learning towards an RT tablet simply because I want one for media/data consumption. I just got a new laptop last year.

I am disappointed though that none of the Win 8 RT tablets have Full HD screens.

If I do an impulse buy, it will probably be the Surface RT. I wish there was a Surface RT Pro with a full hd screen lol.

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Surface RT as soon as possible, barring any major **** ups.

Seeing that I'm in Europe, it might take a long time/never come to Finland. In that case I'd really hope the rumoured Nokia tablet would have Surface like keyboard/cover (just have them interchangeable, it even sports Nokia colors :D) and would come in time (yea right, on a rumour stage it will take a year at minimum..).

But yeah, Surface is the only one I can consider atm cos I want exactly that keyboard/cover system.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
RT Tablet. First day.

Let everyone else squabble about which carrier gets which phone, I'm all about the tablets.

Surface RT or the Asus offering. Preferably the Surface.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
RT Tablet for me, I've got a laptop that I will either keep running W7 or upgrade to W8 on and use that for anything major. I figure I will probably use the RT a lot more often.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Surface rt. Anyone know how we cab get the device if I don't have a windows store around here, maybe best buy or amazon on 26th?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Answering my own question it seems like AMD will present Hondo October 9th.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQI_NIRCgw

So we might see W8 tablet with AMD shortly. Not totally happy with the gap between Ivy Bridge and the i3 so interested to see what AMD will be giving us as far as battery, price and power goes.

Last edited:

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
The Surface is still my top dog but I'm really liking the look of the envy X2.

features_laptop_tcm_245_1287349.jpg

features_section4_bkg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jlNEcxqWiU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb