AMD enters the game

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm quite excited to see what AMD could bring, the company really needs to gain some firm market share somewhere and they now have an excellent chance with the android app porting announcement

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't have strong feelings about AMD as a brand; I just want to see someone break Intel's effective monopoly on x86 processors. Consumers always suffer when there's an effective monopoly.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't have strong feelings about AMD as a brand; I just want to see someone break Intel's effective monopoly on x86 processors. Consumers always suffer when there's an effective monopoly.
It's the same reason I support AMD as chipmakers, a little competition is good news. Plus, the majority of PCs I've built I did with AMD processors and to this day I've never had a problem with any of them failing or struggling. My AMD Athlon X2 is only just starting to feel slow and ready for a quad/8 core update.

However AMD have never performed well for mobile chips, usually due to power considerations, tend to see shorter battery life in laptops using their silicon (massive generalisation which of course will have exceptions).

It's definitely time to see something amazing from AMD in the tablet/mobile space as they've been trailing in the desktop processor space in terms of raw power. Saying that if their contributions follows their desktop strategy of being competatively priced we could see x86 Windows 8 Pro tablets at a price close to their ARM equivalents...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
My Acer W500 is using a chip with the same base specs (dual core 1.0Ghz cpu) and its no speed demon, even with Windows 8. And there are some interesting caveats with the new AMD chip, battery life quoted for presentation mode, 720p recommended HD viewing resolution. I don't think they are quite there yet to challenge Intel, next year is when we should see tangible improvements and a serious challenge to what Intel has to offer.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounded just what i was looking for it to be something between clover trail and i3, but then...
"AMD says that 720p will offer the "best experience" as opposed to full 1080p" via Engadget
AMD enters Windows 8 tablet fray with Z-60 chip: 'all-day' battery life, graphics 'you would never expect' -- Engadget

That seals it for me that i'm buying i3 or i5 tablet. Clover Trail/atom and Z-60 are so close but not quite there yet.

Main problem is still that there's no i3, i5 tablet with detachable keyboard with q4 availability. So who knows what device i end up picking. :D

Last edited:

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes the way that Engadget article reports it does not sound like AMD are quite up to competing with Intel just yet, but this is all theoretical, I guess we'll have to wait till we have some devices to directly compare!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Maybe AMD doesn't need to compete with Intel. AMD machines are usually a couple hundred less than Intel machines. ARM machines are supposed to be a couple hundred less than Intel machines. If AMD can compete on price with ARM tablets and offer a passable x86 experience, they could be a hit.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Maybe AMD doesn't need to compete with Intel. AMD machines are usually a couple hundred less than Intel machines. ARM machines are supposed to be a couple hundred less than Intel machines. If AMD can compete on price with ARM tablets and offer a passable x86 experience, they could be a hit.

I agree, as you'll see in my earlier post I suggested the same thing :)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree about what we would get with AMD. The price for an even MORE powerful tablet would drop and more could get their hands on one.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Since I bought this gaming rig, I've been sporting AMD+ATI and after AMD bought ATI or something and I got a new GPU, now AMD+AMD setup.

Sure, Intel probably is somewhat better, but the equivalent parts that are "somewhat better" also cost a crapton more. I'm a university student on a budget and I prefer AMD and have never had any issues. I will continue to buy AMD too, like others say, if for no other reason but to not have Intel have a monopoly.

I wouldnt have any specific urge to get AMD powered tablet just cos it has AMD, but more so it sure wouldnt bother me that it ran AMD, given that the component is generally speaking found decent.

Also.. the first generation Atoms were Intel products, and those sure werent good, so I dont think AMD can do any worse than that at least lol :D

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss