The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-21-2012 01:14 AM
58 123
tools
    Ah, ya see, I want my tablet to be my middle ground. For where something is too heavy for my WP, but not so heavy that it can't be done on the go with a tablet. For me, batch PS/Lightroom etc work, would be too heavy for a tablet so that will always be done on my desktop, or perhaps my MacBook Pro as it's media related.
    Guess that makes sense to go with an RT device then. My usage has a bit of legacy thrown in from time to time so RT wont work for me. Lets just hope prices are reasonable, with so many OEM's at least one of them has to get the pricing right.
    10-13-2012 03:12 PM
    I want an RT because I have exactly zero legacy programs that I use. I was hoping RT would mean thinner, lighter, cheaper. Maybe RT devices will at least run Windows RT better than Atom devices run Windows 8. AMD is the wild card in this, if they can deliver performance on par with or better than Atom (or even close to i3) but undercut Intel on price, that makes RT an even harder sell.
    10-13-2012 03:50 PM
    I want an RT because I have exactly zero legacy programs that I use. I was hoping RT would mean thinner, lighter, cheaper. Maybe RT devices will at least run Windows RT better than Atom devices run Windows 8. AMD is the wild card in this, if they can deliver performance on par with or better than Atom (or even close to i3) but undercut Intel on price, that makes RT an even harder sell.
    Looking at he underlying architecture of AMD Z-60, they right away advertising it doesn't play 1080 video and worse batter consumption than new Atom.... i don't give much trust for Z-60 or AMD in general.
    There has been quite a bit of fail comments flying around chip blogs already for Z-60.
    10-13-2012 05:36 PM
    I think they are all trying to kill RT, their US price for the smart PC is $649 which is much more acceptable for a full windows tablet PC with digitizer and pen. It makes the current prices for RT devices look like sheer lunacy.
    Yep, RT is as good as dead. The good news is that a bunch of OEMs are pitching these overpriced tablets so there will be lots of stock to liquidate.

Not sure I'm willing to pay 200 USD for this dead OS, though. OS is too restricted. Bring on Touchpad fire sale 2.0!
    10-15-2012 07:39 AM
    I'm not sold on the Atom.

Netbooks have performed pretty horribly with the Atom. It's just so darn slow.

If I were to get a full Windows 8 tablet, I think it would have to use an i3 at minimum.
    10-15-2012 07:48 AM
    I'm not sold on the Atom.

Netbooks have performed pretty horribly with the Atom. It's just so darn slow.

If I were to get a full Windows 8 tablet, I think it would have to use an i3 at minimum.

With Windows 8 you don't need as much horsepower, there is a world of difference in performance on my Acer W500 between W7 & W8, with the latter being just as fluid as MS claims. Where you compromise is in not being able to run those real power hungry programs like Photoshop or games so if that's what you need then yes, Atom won't be sufficient. Otherwise for most people's needs Atom chips should work very well with the added benefit of better battery life.
    10-15-2012 08:49 AM
    I must have missed something with RT. I thought all RT were running on ARM. So RT can run on ARM and x86? Not sure why anyone would want an RT with x86 though. Sure, it may be marginally faster with an atom than a S4, but whats the point if you are not running any x86 programs? Unless there is the possibility of putting pro on an x86 RT device. That could be interesting.
    10-15-2012 10:47 AM
    I believe Surface Pro gets the X86 treatment and the RT is ARM exclusively.
    Of course you can add hybrids into the mix (touchscreen laptops etc)

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**
    10-15-2012 10:57 AM
    Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Series 5 XE500T1C-A04US Tablet PC Intel Atom 1.50GHz 11.6" 2GB DDR3 Memory 64GB SSD Integrated Graphics

That is a 768 resolution screen with a atom. Are the Pro level w8 tablets not required to have a 1080p screen?
    10-15-2012 11:01 AM
    Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Series 5 XE500T1C-A04US Tablet PC Intel Atom 1.50GHz 11.6" 2GB DDR3 Memory 64GB SSD Integrated Graphics

That is a 768 resolution screen with a atom. Are the Pro level w8 tablets not required to have a 1080p screen?
    Probably down to cost, OS license and Atom chip costs mean OEM's have to cut corners somewhere to charge less. Ivy bridge tablets are more likely to have 1080p screens but they can be priced higher to cover the costs.

I must have missed something with RT. I thought all RT were running on ARM. So RT can run on ARM and x86? Not sure why anyone would want an RT with x86 though. Sure, it may be marginally faster with an atom than a S4, but whats the point if you are not running any x86 programs? Unless there is the possibility of putting pro on an x86 RT device. That could be interesting.
    No, RT is strictly ARM.
    10-15-2012 11:38 AM
    With Windows 8 you don't need as much horsepower, there is a world of difference in performance on my Acer W500 between W7 & W8, with the latter being just as fluid as MS claims. Where you compromise is in not being able to run those real power hungry programs like Photoshop or games so if that's what you need then yes, Atom won't be sufficient. Otherwise for most people's needs Atom chips should work very well with the added benefit of better battery life.
    I guess that means that it's definitely no Atom for me.

The only things I really need the legacy desktop for is Photoshop and a few other hardcore programs.

But I may end up just going RT and save the hardcore stuff for a real desktop computer. After all, it looks like there is already an Autodesk Sketchpad app on RT.
    10-15-2012 02:23 PM
    I guess that means that it's definitely no Atom for me.

The only things I really need the legacy desktop for is Photoshop and a few other hardcore programs.

But I may end up just going RT and save the hardcore stuff for a real desktop computer. After all, it looks like there is already an Autodesk Sketchpad app on RT.
    That makes sense then, an Atom definitely wont be able to handle intense Photoshop work. I'm thinking I will go Ivy Bridge simply because the devices seem to offer better value. The Sony Duo 11 starts at $1099 which is a good price for what it offers, and the Acer W700 starts at $750 at Amazon. So you lose a little in battery life but get the performance you want. But none of these devices really interest me so I will still be looking for a while.
    10-15-2012 03:43 PM
    The only thing that concerns me about the Acer devices is reliablility. I'd have the same concerns with HP tablets. They haven't been great at making laptops that last.

Asus, on the other hand, has been pretty good when it comes to making a long lasting laptop.
    10-15-2012 07:10 PM
    That makes sense then, an Atom definitely wont be able to handle intense Photoshop work. I'm thinking I will go Ivy Bridge simply because the devices seem to offer better value. The Sony Duo 11 starts at $1099 which is a good price for what it offers, and the Acer W700 starts at $750 at Amazon. So you lose a little in battery life but get the performance you want. But none of these devices really interest me so I will still be looking for a while.
    I recommend Asus Transformer Book. Jusr waiting for the price announcement. Some European retailers have said Oct 26 release or the 11" model, but still nothing official from Asus.

When it comes to build and being thin Transformer Book could just be the best from core tablets. Just hoping Asus doesn't go silly with the base model and go for +1100 euros.
    Last edited by tissotti; 10-16-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    10-16-2012 06:31 AM
    I recommend Asus Transformer Book. Jusr waiting for the price announcement. Some European retailers have said Oct 26 frelease or the 11" model, but still nothing official from Asus.

When it comes to build and being thin Transformer Book could just be the best from core tablets. Just hoping Asus doesn't go silly with the base model and go for +1100 euros.
    I had them in mind too but no word on availability and the insane RT pricing makes me think they will be priced just right for the rich and famous. . And I prefer core i5 because i3 doesn't have turbo mode for that extra bit of performance so that wont be cheap.
    10-16-2012 06:53 AM
    I had them in mind too but no word on availability and the insane RT pricing makes me think they will be priced just right for the rich and famous. ��. And I prefer core i5 because i3 doesn't have turbo mode for that extra bit of performance so that wont be cheap.
    I'm battling with similar problem on Transformer Book. Thinking if i3 is worth it and should i5 be the only option when going for core.
    It's such a shame W700 can't have keyboard dock. Acer got the price right, though it's to be seen is the quality there.
    10-16-2012 07:14 AM
    My issue is I see tablets as adding to an ecosystem NOT replace my pc/laptop... the pro version is going to be well over priced IMO.
    blackprince likes this.
    10-16-2012 08:19 AM
    My issue is I see tablets as adding to an ecosystem NOT replace my pc/laptop... the pro version is going to be well over priced IMO.
    I would agree that for most core hybrids are overpriced.
    To my situation it's just perfect. I use a lot of my iPad 2 and need lighter, more compact laptop for uni. Sold my old laptop couple of weeks ago and just now selling my ipad 2.

So Transformer Book or Surface Pro should do just what i want for around ~1100 euros.
    10-16-2012 08:46 AM
    I'm battling with similar problem on Transformer Book. Thinking if i3 is worth it and should i5 be the only option when going for core.

It's such a shame W700 can't have keyboard dock. Acer got the price right, though it's to be seen is the quality there.

The more I look at the available options the more I think the Transformer Book is my best option. The 11.6" is still portable enough for me to use as a tablet but the has the power for when docked with its keyboard dock, which is the only detachable with a backlit keyboard that I know of.

All hinges on pricing and it has a few shortcomings like no flash in the camera and no USB on the tablet but overall its the best compromise for me. Hopefully they are not more expensive than the Taichi which technically should be more expensive with 2 screens.
    10-16-2012 08:58 AM
    The Lenovo Lynx looks like a good buy?
    10-16-2012 10:02 AM
    The Lenovo Lynx looks like a good buy?

If you don't need a lot of power its not a bad buy, just have to wait and see how they perform in the real world.
    10-16-2012 10:11 AM
    If I'm reading their site correctly it's $499 WITHOUT the touch keyboard? The iPad is cheaper. They are $449 on sale at Microcenter. The price should have been $399 with the touch cover, not $499 without one.

Poor marketing strikes again. Without a price incentive, they won't sell enough to grab market share from the Android and Apple tablets. What ever happened to the Microsoft that would price their products cheaper than the competition to provide incentive to buy their products?
    10-17-2012 01:03 PM
    If I'm reading their site correctly it's $499 WITHOUT the touch keyboard? The iPad is cheaper. They are $449 on sale at Microcenter. The price should have been $399 with the touch cover, not $499 without one.

Poor marketing strikes again. Without a price incentive, they won't sell enough to grab market share from the Android and Apple tablets. What ever happened to the Microsoft that would price their products cheaper than the competition to provide incentive to buy their products?
    Their OEMs happened. They dont want to screw over their income through OEMs by screwing them over instead.

While this feels to have changed over time, but MS originally sort of implied that this is a reference device to show the OEMs how it's done.
    10-17-2012 02:17 PM

Actually, $459.99 is for the 16gig and $559.99 for the 32gig. The 32gig Surface is $499 which is still cheaper than the iPad
    blackprince likes this.
    10-17-2012 02:22 PM

You should really look closer before you try and spout off about what you don't know troll. The 32GB iPad is more expensive than the 32GB surface. The 32GB iPad is $599 [HL]WITHOUT[/HL] a keyboard, while the 32GB Surface is $599 [HL]WITH [/HL] the keyboard. If you want to compare them actually closer then the 32GB iPad is still $599 while the Surface without the keyboard is ....$499. Now which one is cheaper? Go back to your ifan's and get something to really discuss.
    cckgz4 and blackprince like this.
    10-17-2012 03:33 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD