Tablet pricing

ltyarbro42

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
These prices seem fair compared to other tablets. They don't make them a must buy, but definitely puts them in with the competition.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I would pay that 600usd for a Surface RT, the only tablet I care about.

I would pay that 600 in euros too for a Surface RT :D

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
What I want to know is why anyone would get an RT tab like the Vivo Tab for $599 when you can get an Atom tablet with the same 32 GB disk for $499 with the W510. If all RT devices are priced like that, RT will be a total failure. Unless, newegg.com specs are wrong and that is the price for the LTE enabled vivo tab and not a wifi only version, then the pricing is alright.

Even if someone wanted a nicer/better built Windows 8 tab than the W510, the Lenovo Lynx, which has had positive first hands ons, will be $599 and it is an x86 machine. Atom tabs have so far shown good battery life (8+ hours), acceptable performance, and reasonable price ($499-$599). RT has to come in at $299-$399 starting to have any chance at catching on.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What I want to know is why anyone would get an RT tab like the Vivo Tab for $599 when you can get an Atom tablet with the same 32 GB disk for $499 with the W510. If all RT devices are priced like that, RT will be a total failure. Unless, newegg.com specs are wrong and that is the price for the LTE enabled vivo tab and not a wifi only version, then the pricing is alright.

Even if someone wanted a nicer/better built Windows 8 tab than the W510, the Lenovo Lynx, which has had positive first hands ons, will be $599 and it is an x86 machine. Atom tabs have so far shown good battery life (8+ hours), acceptable performance, and reasonable price ($499-$599). RT has to come in at $299-$399 starting to have any chance at catching on.

You're thinking along the same lines as myself. The Asus RT pricing is right along with x86 tablets and the only way I can see that selling is if people go purely on price, but even then the Acer does undercut it. Samsung seems to have got its pricing correct for its Atom tablet so maybe this is just going to be an Asus problem. Sad because I prefer it to the Samsung so will likely have to wait for the HP or something else entirely.

Overall though I feel the OEM's are going to miss the mark on pricing considering people are going to just compare with an ipad's base price of $499 and ask why they should pay more. They definitely have to undercut that price to get traction early on.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
i can't pay for anything more than 399 at this point, spent all my money on rings and ceremony :( i hope the surface is around or under 399 (though i wish i could get intel ver so i can actually code on it, im too poor right now to do that)

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
RT will be a failure if it isn't cheaper than the iPad.

Forget the iPad, the cheapest RT device right now is $599. The cheapest x86 is $499. RT will fail if it isn't cheaper than the version of the OS it is supposed to be a budget alternative to.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Pricing seems strange right now to be honest. Hopefully MS allowed the manufacturers to start preorders to get people's reactions, and will adjust the prices accordingly.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this is why MS made the Surface. They said they made it in response to what was shown to them by the OEM's. Maybe they saw all this RT nonsense, heard the even more ridiculous pricing, and decided to show them whats up. My opinion is the Surface will either be priced super aggressively ($299-$399) or very high ($599+). I don't see it being priced as a mid-ranged device.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Forget the iPad, the cheapest RT device right now is $599. The cheapest x86 is $499. RT will fail if it isn't cheaper than the version of the OS it is supposed to be a budget alternative to.

That's a good point. Who is going to pay more money for a RT tablet that costs more money than a full desktop PC running Windows 8?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Isnt it crazy that the one OEM that seemed dead set against MS doing the Surface seems to have the best value hardware. Have to wonder, if Acer can produce a $500 x86 tablet why cant the likes of Samsung with their superior margins? Sell the hardware cheap and make money off their media services or other value added features. They need to realize the old days are gone and people aren't afraid to buy al alternative OS.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
That's a good point. Who is going to pay more money for a RT tablet that costs more money than a full desktop PC running Windows 8?

I'm not sure about that. Normal consumers might want the generally sexier, thinner RT tablets. Atom tablets supposedly only being able to play 720p makes me think is there any sense to get Atom tablet.
RT or i3/i5/i7 tablet with 1920x1080 screen. I'm personally certainly going for i5 tablet/hybrids.

All that said i agree with the earlier comments that the $599 price range simply wont go. RT is still "empty" ecosystem compared to iOS and hardware wise it's not kicking the competition.

Isnt it crazy that the one OEM that seemed dead set against MS doing the Surface seems to have the best value hardware. Have to wonder, if Acer can produce a $500 x86 tablet why cant the likes of Samsung with their superior margins? Sell the hardware cheap and make money off their media services or other value added features. They need to realize the old days are gone and people aren't afraid to buy al alternative OS.

Same goes for Acer's i3 tablet that costs $799 and got 1920x1080 IPS screen. That's $400 less than Vaio Duo 11. I'm not honestly all that familiar with Acer products, but supposedly they have quite bad track record when it comes to tablets and laptops.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about that. Normal consumers might want the generally sexier, thinner RT tablets. Atom tablets supposedly only being able to play 720p makes me think is there any sense to get Atom tablet.
RT or i3/i5/i7 tablet with 1920x1080 screen. I'm personally certainly going for i5 tablet/hybrids.

All that said i agree with the earlier comments that the $599 price range simply wont go. RT is still "empty" ecosystem compared to iOS and hardware wise it's not kicking the competition.

Same goes for Acer's i3 tablet that costs $799 and got 1920x1080 IPS screen. That's $400 less than Vaio Duo 11. I'm not honestly all that familiar with Acer products, but supposedly they have quite bad track record when it comes to tablets and laptops.

The biggest problem with your argument is that every RT tablet announced so far has a 720p screen too. Thinner and sexier are nice, but price is what sells. There is a reason that the Kindel Fire and the Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" are the best selling non-iPad tablets on the market. They are $199 and $249 respectively. There are much better, thinner, sexier Android tablets available, but they don't sell as well.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Actually even the previous version of the Atom chip could play 1080p content, Clover Trail should be better and the same at worst. The advantages of RT are battery life, thinness is pretty much a wash.

And I just went to check the price of another x86 tablet, the Lenovo Lynx will be the same $599 but for an x86 tablet + $150 for the keyboard http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/9/3480930/lenovo-ideatab-lynx-windows-8-tablet-hands-on. Much more reasonable than paying the same price for a less functional version of Windows.

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Actually even the previous version of the Atom chip could play 1080p content, Clover Trail should be better and the same at worst. The advantages of RT are battery life, thinness is pretty much a wash.

And I just went to check the price of another x86 tablet, the Lenovo Lynx will be the same $599 but for an x86 tablet + $150 for the keyboard Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx Windows 8 tablet with optional keyboard dock starts at $599 in December | The Verge. Much more reasonable than paying the same price for a less functional version of Windows.

The Lynx looks like a sweet device. That is my first choice device, unless a reasonably priced RT tablet comes out.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The biggest problem with your argument is that every RT tablet announced so far has a 720p screen too. Thinner and sexier are nice, but price is what sells. There is a reason that the Kindel Fire and the Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" are the best selling non-iPad tablets on the market. They are $199 and $249 respectively. There are much better, thinner, sexier Android tablets available, but they don't sell as well.

Yes every Atom and RT tablet has 720p screen.

Like said i'm set for core Intel tablets, but i'am very interested to see how atom tablets will perform when we get first reviews out there. Personally i have no idea how normal customers will behave between RT and Atom Win8 tablets.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Samsung are trying to sabotage Windows I can tell, they just want Android.

I think they are all trying to kill RT, their US price for the smart PC is $649 which is much more acceptable for a full windows tablet PC with digitizer and pen. It makes the current prices for RT devices look like sheer lunacy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99