Tablet pricing

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I think they are all trying to kill RT, their US price for the smart PC is $649 which is much more acceptable for a full windows tablet PC with digitizer and pen. It makes the current prices for RT devices look like sheer lunacy.

Thing is, I want RT, not full Windows tablet... I do not want a fan in my tablet... Hopefully when HTC are allowed on board they'll bring their Flyer/Jetstream stuff over to RT. Then HTC gets my money. I already own a Flyer by them, great piece of kit too. Pen is a bit weird but I can live with that.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Thing is, I want RT, not full Windows tablet... I do not want a fan in my tablet... Hopefully when HTC are allowed on board they'll bring their Flyer/Jetstream stuff over to RT. Then HTC gets my money. I already own a Flyer by them, great piece of kit too. Pen is a bit weird but I can live with that.

Clovertrail devices run fanless and give better battery life than previous versions of atom cpu's so that shouldn't be a problem, only ivy bridge based tablets still require a fan.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Good point but having access to legacy programs outweighs that for me and office web apps would do in a pinch so that balances the equation.

Ah, ya see, I want my tablet to be my middle ground. For where something is too heavy for my WP, but not so heavy that it can't be done on the go with a tablet. For me, batch PS/Lightroom etc work, would be too heavy for a tablet so that will always be done on my desktop, or perhaps my MacBook Pro as it's media related.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Ah, ya see, I want my tablet to be my middle ground. For where something is too heavy for my WP, but not so heavy that it can't be done on the go with a tablet. For me, batch PS/Lightroom etc work, would be too heavy for a tablet so that will always be done on my desktop, or perhaps my MacBook Pro as it's media related.

Guess that makes sense to go with an RT device then. My usage has a bit of legacy thrown in from time to time so RT wont work for me. Lets just hope prices are reasonable, with so many OEM's at least one of them has to get the pricing right.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I want an RT because I have exactly zero legacy programs that I use. I was hoping RT would mean thinner, lighter, cheaper. Maybe RT devices will at least run Windows RT better than Atom devices run Windows 8. AMD is the wild card in this, if they can deliver performance on par with or better than Atom (or even close to i3) but undercut Intel on price, that makes RT an even harder sell.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I want an RT because I have exactly zero legacy programs that I use. I was hoping RT would mean thinner, lighter, cheaper. Maybe RT devices will at least run Windows RT better than Atom devices run Windows 8. AMD is the wild card in this, if they can deliver performance on par with or better than Atom (or even close to i3) but undercut Intel on price, that makes RT an even harder sell.

Looking at he underlying architecture of AMD Z-60, they right away advertising it doesn't play 1080 video and worse batter consumption than new Atom.... i don't give much trust for Z-60 or AMD in general.
There has been quite a bit of fail comments flying around chip blogs already for Z-60.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I think they are all trying to kill RT, their US price for the smart PC is $649 which is much more acceptable for a full windows tablet PC with digitizer and pen. It makes the current prices for RT devices look like sheer lunacy.
Yep, RT is as good as dead. The good news is that a bunch of OEMs are pitching these overpriced tablets so there will be lots of stock to liquidate.

Not sure I'm willing to pay 200 USD for this dead OS, though. OS is too restricted. Bring on Touchpad fire sale 2.0!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sold on the Atom.

Netbooks have performed pretty horribly with the Atom. It's just so darn slow.

If I were to get a full Windows 8 tablet, I think it would have to use an i3 at minimum.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sold on the Atom.

Netbooks have performed pretty horribly with the Atom. It's just so darn slow.

If I were to get a full Windows 8 tablet, I think it would have to use an i3 at minimum.

With Windows 8 you don't need as much horsepower, there is a world of difference in performance on my Acer W500 between W7 & W8, with the latter being just as fluid as MS claims. Where you compromise is in not being able to run those real power hungry programs like Photoshop or games so if that's what you need then yes, Atom won't be sufficient. Otherwise for most people's needs Atom chips should work very well with the added benefit of better battery life.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I must have missed something with RT. I thought all RT were running on ARM. So RT can run on ARM and x86? Not sure why anyone would want an RT with x86 though. Sure, it may be marginally faster with an atom than a S4, but whats the point if you are not running any x86 programs? Unless there is the possibility of putting pro on an x86 RT device. That could be interesting.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I believe Surface Pro gets the X86 treatment and the RT is ARM exclusively.
Of course you can add hybrids into the mix (touchscreen laptops etc)

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Series 5 XE500T1C-A04US Tablet PC Intel Atom 1.50GHz 11.6" 2GB DDR3 Memory 64GB SSD Integrated Graphics

That is a 768 resolution screen with a atom. Are the Pro level w8 tablets not required to have a 1080p screen?

Probably down to cost, OS license and Atom chip costs mean OEM's have to cut corners somewhere to charge less. Ivy bridge tablets are more likely to have 1080p screens but they can be priced higher to cover the costs.

I must have missed something with RT. I thought all RT were running on ARM. So RT can run on ARM and x86? Not sure why anyone would want an RT with x86 though. Sure, it may be marginally faster with an atom than a S4, but whats the point if you are not running any x86 programs? Unless there is the possibility of putting pro on an x86 RT device. That could be interesting.

No, RT is strictly ARM.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
With Windows 8 you don't need as much horsepower, there is a world of difference in performance on my Acer W500 between W7 & W8, with the latter being just as fluid as MS claims. Where you compromise is in not being able to run those real power hungry programs like Photoshop or games so if that's what you need then yes, Atom won't be sufficient. Otherwise for most people's needs Atom chips should work very well with the added benefit of better battery life.

I guess that means that it's definitely no Atom for me.

The only things I really need the legacy desktop for is Photoshop and a few other hardcore programs.

But I may end up just going RT and save the hardcore stuff for a real desktop computer. After all, it looks like there is already an Autodesk Sketchpad app on RT.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I guess that means that it's definitely no Atom for me.

The only things I really need the legacy desktop for is Photoshop and a few other hardcore programs.

But I may end up just going RT and save the hardcore stuff for a real desktop computer. After all, it looks like there is already an Autodesk Sketchpad app on RT.

That makes sense then, an Atom definitely wont be able to handle intense Photoshop work. I'm thinking I will go Ivy Bridge simply because the devices seem to offer better value. The Sony Duo 11 starts at $1099 which is a good price for what it offers, and the Acer W700 starts at $750 at Amazon. So you lose a little in battery life but get the performance you want. But none of these devices really interest me so I will still be looking for a while.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that concerns me about the Acer devices is reliablility. I'd have the same concerns with HP tablets. They haven't been great at making laptops that last.

Asus, on the other hand, has been pretty good when it comes to making a long lasting laptop.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense then, an Atom definitely wont be able to handle intense Photoshop work. I'm thinking I will go Ivy Bridge simply because the devices seem to offer better value. The Sony Duo 11 starts at $1099 which is a good price for what it offers, and the Acer W700 starts at $750 at Amazon. So you lose a little in battery life but get the performance you want. But none of these devices really interest me so I will still be looking for a while.

I recommend Asus Transformer Book. Jusr waiting for the price announcement. Some European retailers have said Oct 26 release or the 11" model, but still nothing official from Asus.

When it comes to build and being thin Transformer Book could just be the best from core tablets. Just hoping Asus doesn't go silly with the base model and go for +1100 euros.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I recommend Asus Transformer Book. Jusr waiting for the price announcement. Some European retailers have said Oct 26 frelease or the 11" model, but still nothing official from Asus.

When it comes to build and being thin Transformer Book could just be the best from core tablets. Just hoping Asus doesn't go silly with the base model and go for +1100 euros.

I had them in mind too but no word on availability and the insane RT pricing makes me think they will be priced just right for the rich and famous. ��. And I prefer core i5 because i3 doesn't have turbo mode for that extra bit of performance so that wont be cheap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte