Anyone else preorder an x86 tablet?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
With sales beginning in eight days, I was wondering if anyone else is jumping in on the ground floor. I got myself a Sony VAIO Duo 11, Ivy Bridge i3, 128 gb ssd, 4 gb ram, 1080p 11.6" IPS screen, gorilla glass, n-trig digitizer stylus, sliding backlit keyboard. I'm psyched :)

I'm curious whether x86 tablets will really take off, or whether they'll fizzle like the tablet PCs of 2002 did.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious how much your tablet cost, since I want a Surface Pro.

I haven't really checked the prices of the x86 tablets on the OEMs websites.

incendy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
With sales beginning in eight days, I was wondering if anyone else is jumping in on the ground floor. I got myself a Sony VAIO Duo 11, Ivy Bridge i3, 128 gb ssd, 4 gb ram, 1080p 11.6" IPS screen, gorilla glass, n-trig digitizer stylus, sliding backlit keyboard. I'm psyched :)

I'm curious whether x86 tablets will really take off, or whether they'll fizzle like the tablet PCs of 2002 did.

I looked at that, but the 4 hours battery life was a bit alarming. It has to be a typo, I hope.

Personally I am waiting on the Surface Pro. I have the Samsung Series 7 Slate which works great already so I am not in a hurry.

I really want an ARM device for testing apps but so far they are just too expensive for that purpose. Will have to rely on reviews haha :D

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This was my first choice but now I'm more interested in the Transformer Book, so waiting for Asus' event next week for prices and other details.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I preordered a surface. After looking through all the upcoming X86 devices, I felt like they all had compromises for what I want out of a device with an x86 processor. I have high hopes for AMD and Intels next gen processors though. I just felt like the i3-i5 was to power hungry, and the Atom was still a bit to underpowered.

I just really personally feel like processing speed vs. power consumption isn't right for me personally this generation. I do expect that to change soon though.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious how much your tablet cost, since I want a Surface Pro.

I haven't really checked the prices of the x86 tablets on the OEMs websites.

$1099. Since the Surface RT undercuts OEM Windows RT tablets by about $100, I suspect the Surface Pro will come in at $899-$999.

The cheapest Ivy Bridge tablet is the Acer Iconia W700, which gives you a 1080p IPS screen for only $799. But I like Sony a lot more than Acer. And the Duo 11 is a slider convertible, not a slate.

I looked at that, but the 4 hours battery life was a bit alarming. It has to be a typo, I hope.

Personally I am waiting on the Surface Pro. I have the Samsung Series 7 Slate which works great already so I am not in a hurry.

I really want an ARM device for testing apps but so far they are just too expensive for that purpose. Will have to rely on reviews haha :D

Most reviews I'm reading suggest 4-5 hours in typical use and 2-3 in high-performance use battery drain tests. Not quite up to the ultrabook average, but not a shocking number for ultrabood performance either. Remember this has Ivy Bridge, not ARM or Atom, and has a correspondingly-lower battery life.

A detachable slice battery is available from Sony that doubles those numbers (and also includes a pen silo, a surprising ommission from a digitizer-stylus-equipped model), though the slice battery adds something like $125 to the price and a bit of thickness and weight. You can charge the slice battery independently when it's not attached to the machine, and then pop it on fully charged, so that gives some versatility to people who never want to be stuck at a desk for long.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
$1099. Since the Surface RT undercuts OEM Windows RT tablets by about $100, I suspect the Surface Pro will come in at $899-$999.

The cheapest Ivy Bridge tablet is the Acer Iconia W700, which gives you a 1080p IPS screen for only $799. But I like Sony a lot more than Acer. And the Duo 11 is a slider convertible, not a slate.
Thanks a lot! :)

That's pretty much what I was thinking in terms of pricing. I'll have to check out some of the various OEMS. Beside the Surface, I'm also interested in HP and Lenovo.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm for one am a Sony geek having had TVs, DVD players, Playstation 2, car head units, laptops and a PC... so it was only natural to look at Duo11 and its quite tempting. When I compare the Duo to the Surface (.71 vs .53in thick) and weight (2.87 vs 2lbs) they seem neck in neck. The Surface just looks awesome, Touch cover has it one leg up, but then Sony offers recycle on old hardware and special financing which gives Sony a leg up. I just don't know what I'm going to do...

incendy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Most reviews I'm reading suggest 4-5 hours in typical use and 2-3 in high-performance use battery drain tests. Not quite up to the ultrabook average, but not a shocking number for ultrabood performance either. Remember this has Ivy Bridge, not ARM or Atom, and has a correspondingly-lower battery life.

A detachable slice battery is available from Sony that doubles those numbers (and also includes a pen silo, a surprising ommission from a digitizer-stylus-equipped model), though the slice battery adds something like $125 to the price and a bit of thickness and weight. You can charge the slice battery independently when it's not attached to the machine, and then pop it on fully charged, so that gives some versatility to people who never want to be stuck at a desk for long.

I do think it is nice! I will look forward to your review.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
This was my first choice but now I'm more interested in the Transformer Book, so waiting for Asus' event next week for prices and other details.

Ah so there's Asus event coming soon? Great to hear.
After they announced their RT and Taichi tablet, not even mentioning Transformer Book i thought i would need to wait till next year. Large retailer here told me that they would have the 11" model possibly on the W8 launch.

Another option i have been thinking is Acer Iconia W700 costing 699 euros for the base model. By far cheapest core tablet out there.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Another option i have been thinking is Acer Iconia W700 costing 699 euros for the base model. By far cheapest core tablet out there.

Remember that it lacks both an onboard keyboard and any sort of portable keyboard dock. If you're fine with just using it as a slate with an onscreen keyboard, or using a third-party keyboard, it's great value. But that, for me, was a deal-breaker.

(And I don't trust Acer, but that's another issue entirely).

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Remember that it lacks both an onboard keyboard and any sort of portable keyboard dock. If you're fine with just using it as a slate with an onscreen keyboard, or using a third-party keyboard, it's great value. But that, for me, was a deal-breaker.

(And I don't trust Acer, but that's another issue entirely).

Lack of keyboard dock should be deal-breaker for me as well, but you usually end up doing stupid things when the price is that low and it's confirmed to be out in a about week. ;)

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Lack of keyboard dock should be deal-breaker for me as well, but you usually end up doing stupid things when the price is that low and it's confirmed to be out in a about week. ;)

In that case, let me direct you to the Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard, a tablet-oriented bluetooth keyboard with great reviews, and whose removable rubber cover doubles as a tablet stand.

Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

35416663Microsoft_Wedge_Mobile_Keyboard_10_1330x1000.jpg

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Ah so there's Asus event coming soon? Great to hear.
After they announced their RT and Taichi tablet, not even mentioning Transformer Book i thought i would need to wait till next year. Large retailer here told me that they would have the 11" model possibly on the W8 launch.

So here's some info I found which may help deciding between core i3 & i5. The two chips are very similar, both have the same TDP of 17W. Core i3 devices will be using the 3217U model with a clock speed of 1.8Ghz (no turbo boost) which can be throttled down to 800Mhz at 14W TDP. Core i5 models will use the 3317U which runs at 1.7Ghz w turbo up to 2.4GHz on dual cores and 2.6Ghz single core and can also be throttled to 800Mhz for a lower 14W TDP. Graphics on both will run at 1050Mhz but possibly with turbo on the i5 can be overclocked if that is enabled. All the models announced that have specs attached show the CPU models used are as I stated so the technical info should be correct.

Apart from the extra cost I think an i5 device works out better, for those times when connected to the mains and doing decoding or similar tasks. Wont be any battery savings with the i3 since they both downclock the same amount (may even be better with the slightly slower i5) so I would prefer having the extra power when needed with the i5.

What do you think?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So here's some info I found which may help deciding between core i3 & i5. The two chips are very similar, both have the same TDP of 17W. Core i3 devices will be using the 3217U model with a clock speed of 1.8Ghz (no turbo boost) which can be throttled down to 800Mhz at 14W TDP. Core i5 models will use the 3317U which runs at 1.7Ghz w turbo up to 2.4GHz on dual cores and 2.6Ghz single core and can also be throttled to 800Mhz for a lower 14W TDP. Graphics on both will run at 1050Mhz but possibly with turbo on the i5 can be overclocked if that is enabled. All the models announced that have specs attached show the CPU models used are as I stated so the technical info should be correct.

Apart from the extra cost I think an i5 device works out better, for those times when connected to the mains and doing decoding or similar tasks. Wont be any battery savings with the i3 since they both downclock the same amount (may even be better with the slightly slower i5) so I would prefer having the extra power when needed with the i5.

What do you think?

I did actually read that same just yesterday. It certainly sounds like i5 is the way to go as that turbo mode alone plays signifant role.
When it comes to battery life there's also the point of i5 on that turbo mode possibly not "locking" and doing the task faster. Possibly even saving battery life. Granted battery life will likely still be better or around same on i3 as on i5. point still being the difference might be very small there.

What i have decided is that i have to wait for first core tablet reviews. Just too much unknown for now for a device i will be throwing 1000-1200 euros.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Lets hope the reviews arent all focused on comparing these type of devices to the ipad, as they will easily find ways to make them sound worse than they are. And if youre in Europe you have much better return policies so you could always get one and return it if it doesnt work out, I presume.

micuioss

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot! :)

That's pretty much what I was thinking in terms of pricing. I'll have to check out some of the various OEMS. Beside the Surface, I'm also interested in HP and Lenovo.

ANy idea about when the Lenovo thinkpad tablet 2 is coming out? I've been champing at the bit to get this but haven't heard word one about it, which is odd if it's supposed to be released on Friday.

-R

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss