I was looking about the internet and stumbled upon this

ASUS S200E-C157H 11.6

Now why should I buy a Surface or any tablet when I can get this for the same price?
    10-18-2012 11:04 PM
    - Ridiculously bad CPU compared to the x86 based competition using ivy bridge
    - Terribly slow HDD compared to the eMMC/SSD based storage in other tablets
    - Only 60% of the battery life (5 hours instead of 8) compared to Surface RT

Don't know about build quality, but would be surprised if it came anywhere close to the Surface.

You get what you pay for.
    tissotti likes this.
    10-18-2012 11:31 PM
    Because it's horrible?
    10-18-2012 11:34 PM
    Because it does only one form factor.
    10-18-2012 11:37 PM
    - Ridiculously bad CPU compared to the x86 based competition using ivy bridge
    - Terribly slow HDD compared to the eMMC/SSD based storage in other tablets
    - Only 60% of the battery life (5 hours instead of 8) compared to Surface RT

Don't know about build quality, but would be surprised if it came anywhere close to the Surface.

You get what you pay for.
    Is the Pentium B987 that slow compared to the Mircosoft Surface RTs one?

5400 HDD v SSD, doesnt bother me one little bit, Im currently happy with the speed my (now dead) Laptop which is 5400

60% of the battery life doesnt bother me that much really either, most of the time its going to be plugged in.

I was comparing this to the Surface RT

I thought it was a pretty good deal am I really that wrong? I only use it for storing photos browsing the web and watching movies and the odd game of a certain football mamnagement game. As I said before my Laptop is dead and I am on a really tight budget right now.
    10-18-2012 11:59 PM
    I was comparing this to the Surface RT
    Well, in your first post you stated the following:
    Now why should I buy a Surface or any tablet when I can get this for the same price?
    Since you said "any" tablet, I assumed that is what you meant (although technically that device isn't a tablet at all, but rather a Netbook or an Ultrabook).
    Is the Pentium B987 that slow compared to the Microsoft Surface RTs one?
    No, but Surface RT isn't meant to power full-blown Windows software either, which this device is! As a device that is meant to power Windows software, its CPU isn't exactly optimal.

If you care neither for SSD storage (I couldn't live without) nor decent batter life, and don't mind that the device isn't actually a tablet at all and can't double as one, then yes, of course, why pay more?

Also note that it can't really be considered a suitable laptop replacement due to it's size, although a laptop may have been bigger than what you actually needed in which case this is also a non-issue.

Like I said, you get what you pay for.
    10-19-2012 12:48 AM
    Sorry was kind of misleading...

I currently have a Sony Vaio VGN-NW20ZF/T

I really only ever use it for web browsing and one non graphic game as I have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 for that sort of needs.

For 399 do you think its a good deal? I was looking for a device that had a touchscreen to take full advantage of Win 8?

Once again sorry for mis leading..
    10-19-2012 01:52 AM
    Cos it's not a tablet.
    10-19-2012 02:24 AM
    For the price it's a decent device, but it's in a completely different segment as the Surface.

If you use it mainly for mail/web and the occasional game it would be fine, in the end it's your choice but I would hold off until surface is actually available to do a proper comparison.

The laptop has much more storage, more RAM but IMO the Surface has better CPU/GPU combo, a nicer form factor and longer battery life which will be nice when you pull it out of your bag on the road..

If you ask my opinion I would opt for Surface, but again it's your money and your choice. spec wise the Asus look perfectly fine to me for your intended use.
    10-19-2012 02:33 AM
    Choices Chocies, its only because recently my laptop has been playing up that I am considering it... otherwise I would have jumped all over the Surface RT...

Comparing the Surface RT to other tablets including Android, iOS and other Win RT tablets its the bee knees...

If only my laptop wasn't overheating all the time, thanks for the advice though people.

Now I must consider what to do, If my Laptop dies then a Surface RT isnt going to replace my laptop (due to my obsession with my management game). If my Laptop lasts another yeah then a Surface would suffice.
    10-19-2012 04:59 AM
    Sorry was kind of misleading...

I currently have a Sony Vaio VGN-NW20ZF/T

I really only ever use it for web browsing and one non graphic game as I have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 for that sort of needs.

For 399 do you think its a good deal? I was looking for a device that had a touchscreen to take full advantage of Win 8?

Once again sorry for mis leading..
    Does it fit YOUR needs? If it does, go for it. We won't judge you, at least I won't.
    10-19-2012 08:19 AM
    because some people, like myself, would ratger have a tablet. I have exatcly 0 needs that an ARM based Surface RT can't fill. I use my laptop for web, email, reading, and watching online videos, shows, and movies. RT can do all of this. Why would I want the worse battery life, slower storage, and thicker form factor that doesn't benefit my use cases at all? And that is the great thing about Windows 8/RT. Choice. A laptop is better for you, but you still want touch. You got it. I want slim, light, and portable with an optional keyboard for the occasional long email or forum post or the rare occasion I'm working ona document at home, I can have that.

Plus, I'd never buy a Pentium device. I'd rather have Atom, which would give better battery life, or core i3, which will give better performance.
    10-19-2012 10:35 AM
    Thanks for your feedback on it..still undecided yet.. my heart wants a surface my head tells me a laptop. My current laptop is now working again but it gets pretty hot on the hdd and processor area. I have until the end of the month to decide, by then a few reviews and comments on here will be taken into consideration as well as my current laptop state. I was hoping my Vaio would last me a couple more years.

sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2
    10-19-2012 10:51 AM
    heat kills and a spinning hdd will run hotter than a ssd, so a device with an ssd will likely last longer
    10-19-2012 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD