Thinkpad Tablet 2

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: My Chat conversation with the Lenovo Rep

So ThinkPad Tablet 2 won't be available until the middle December, HP Envy x2 is available for order but won't be shipped until the middle of December, Dell Latitude 10 available for order but won't be shipped until the middle of December, Asus Vivo Tab still no idea when it'll be available, and the Samsung Ativ Smart PC is available but in somewhat limited quantities, and the keyboard dock is almost impossible to find. What a terrible launch. Why does everything keep getting pushed back?

The appalling thing is that the demand is there. MS and the OEMs are really dropping the ball here, especially in not getting devices out in time for the holiday shopping rush.

-R

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Wonder if this was secretly some way for Microsoft to push out more Surfaces. I doubt it... but it seems odd. I though there were supposed to be all these Win 8 tablets at launch... so much for that!

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

For those who don't know, the Atom processor is an i3 processor, just the last rev of it. When Intel releases a new Core-i3, the last generation i3 becomes the Atom.
Are you saying that all the chatter from Intel over the last year about their new low-power Clover Trail design was just a smoke screen to disguise the fact that they were re-warming their old i3? That the old i3's were capable of running at ARM levels of power draw and somehow nobody noticed?

Why does everything keep getting pushed back?
Intel's Clover Trail power software still a no-show; tablet delays likely | ZDNet

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

Are you saying that all the chatter from Intel over the last year about their new low-power Clover Trail design was just a smoke screen to disguise the fact that they were re-warming their old i3? That the old i3's were capable of running at ARM levels of power draw and somehow nobody noticed?

Intel's Clover Trail power software still a no-show; tablet delays likely | ZDNet

I'm not sure that article is still true-- Samsung has Clover Trail tablets out, today (one is sitting on my desk), and they work well. There must be some other reason at this point.

-R

jackiej2

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^Prasanna Rama: Thank you very much for your interest in Lenovo products.
^Prasanna Rama: The ThinkPad Tablet 2 units will be available in the first week of December, 2012.
^Prasanna Rama: You may place the order for the units, once they are available on our website for purchase.

runam0k

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at this but I think I need something with a touch more power - so the Surface Pro. If this thing could handle XCOM, I'd buy it. :)

jackiej2

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Still no Windows 8 Pro version available. Next year, with no date specified.

Kinda stupid for a tablet promoted as a "business-ready" device to only come with Windows 8 Home!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
The Thinkpad Tablet 2 is finally available for order on Lenovo's site. I just placed the following order through Barnes & Nobles Lenovo Discount program portal. I bought a bunch of accessories (and Accidental protection since I figured it was worthwhile on a Tablet that's being handled a lot). I may return some of the accessories though if I don't like them or find them useful.

Barnes and Nobles does come with free Expedited Shipping too. Hopefully I get this around my Birthday on 1/11!
icon7.gif

1 3679CTO ThinkPad Tablet 2W - 1 Yr Depot Topseller Warranty = $585.10

04W8309 1YR Accidental Damage Protection $69.00 = $58.65

0B47270 ThinkPad Tablet 2 Bluetooth Keyboard with Stand - US English $119.99 = $86.69

0A33902 ThinkPad Tablet 2 Sleeve $39.99 = $28.89

0A33907 ThinkPad Tablet 2 Slim Case - Black $49.99 = $36.12

0A33899 ThinkPad Tablet 2 Pen $24.99 = $21.24

FREE Expedited Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Recycling fee: $6.00
Tax: $54.89

[USXDISCOUNT]: -$64.90
Total: $876.58

Squadromeo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking at the LTPT2 for quite some time as well. Glad to see that it is finally going to ship.
Hopefully it will launch in Europe shortly after the US launch.

Let us know what you think of it, will you?

yog1389

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
i just ordered one !
64 GB wifi and digitizer pen unit.

didnt buy too many accessories though. i think compatible accessories will be cheaper at amazon. Hdmi-Hdmi mini cable is available for 1/3rd the price at amazon. same for folio cases.

A question - I have a thinkpad tablet (the first one) dock, will that be compatible with the thinkpad tablet 2 ???

GZAZ

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered a thinkpad tablet 2 + bluetooth keyboard through Discover Card portal (10% cashback). Ship date is 1/13/2013.

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
PuckCowboy -- have you gotten a ship date yet? Curiousisty is killing me! I did end up deciding to get one -- origianlly had a ship date of 1/9/13 but now pushed back to 1/13/13 :( -- although the accessories are shipping earlier with the sleeve shipped the 3rd and the keyboard is scheduled for the 9th...

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed response. I actually cancelled my order. MY TV in my room went out, so I put those funds towards a new Sony 3D HDTV which I love. Ive put my tablet purchase on hold since I'm still trying to decide what I might need it for. I use my laptop still for everything which I prefer. I mainly wanted it for an eReader for books, but decided to just get a new nice lighted eInk reader for $100 which are better for dedicated reading anyways. I think I will wait for Gen 2 Tablets before getting on board.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Not to be rude but that is not true at all, the atom is an entirely different architecture that is not even 64 bit yet. If the atom was the same processor as the i3 then how does it get twice the battery life? And if you were look in in terms of benchmarks, last years i3 still greatly outperforms the current ten atom, so please explain to me how that works. Btw, I'm an electrical engineering major that has already taken many computer architecture classes and i sell computers as a side job while I'm in school, so i would know.

lunged

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Posting from my Thinkpad tablet 2! It arrived late last night and I spend the rest of the evening getting it set up and updated on my slow home WiFi.
Brief initial impressions:
Build quality is good. The keyboard build is decent, but a bit plasticy.
Don't expect too much from the Atom processor... but so far it has handled windows 8 apps smoothly.
I had a few crashes and issues before installing any updates, but it is much better now. I still had a strange glitch this morning, though, with apps not wanting to load.
I think in the long run this will be a great device for me, though. I only installed one "legacy" app - Aptana, my IDE of choice. It works very well, if a bit slow to initially start.

I'll try to post more later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs