Anyone seen an x86 Atom tablet for sale?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Looking at bestbuy, Amazon, manufacturer sites, it seems no one is actually selling any of those Atom tablets they've been hyping for so long. Only thing that seems to be available are the Surface, Asus Vivo Tab RT, regular and touchscreen laptops. Am I missing something or could it be true what was rumoured that Intel hasn't got their power management drivers ready?

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I heard from a top Mfg that Intel had a bug that had to be resolved, maybe that's the power driver issue you speak of. I didn't ask for details but I'd sure like to get my hands on an Atom-based Windows 8 pro tablet!

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It is only the 1st day that W8 is released... it may take a little bit of time for the manufacturers to get all of their hardware offerings to the stores.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine has a new Lenovo laptop. He found the full set of drivers he needed for Windows 8 weren't available for the machine until just yesterday.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It is only the 1st day that W8 is released... it may take a little bit of time for the manufacturers to get all of their hardware offerings to the stores.

This is atom specific, core devices are available as far as I know. And they have been showing them since June, amole time to get them in stores for launch, so im leaning towards a bug causing a delay.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
ya, I was kind of hoping to be able to pick up an Atom tablet today, but I guess thats not happening. I'll get a Surface RT instead. I've been waiting since July (when I got rid of my MacBook) to get a new computer. I'm not waiting longer when we have no solid time frame. If its within 30 days, maybe I'll return my Surface and get a Vivo Tab Smart.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Effectively that means there are only 2 Windows 8 tablets for sale today, the Vivo Tab and the Surface RT. That cant be what MS had in mind for their big launch.

Jaymil

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure where the **** else you'd get this but the Sony store in the mall nearby had the slider in stock today. $1200 for a core i5, 6gb of ram, 128gb ssd with 1080p screen. It was nice.. but battery life was only about 4.5 hours. It was a beast too.. 11.6 in screen but thick and heavy. Only one I've found so far.

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
What I find a good deal is Sony's exchange program. They are doubling what your current laptop or computer is worth, which then you can use towards anything they sell in their store. Also, the atom tablet that sounds tempting is the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2. I called Lenovo and they have a release date of November 16.

Last edited:

ieuser

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the Acer Iconia W700-6465 from amazon. This morning I got an email from amazon asking me to confirm that I still want the device. I just had to click a link and approve that I wanted to keep the order open.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss