What Windows 8 Tablet did you get? or gonna get?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if it was cheaper. I don't feel like spending $850 + the cost of a stylus for a device I most likely will be replacing in a year or sooner. I do like the aluminium finish and the fact that it has NFC, but I'm not sure if it uses a wacom active digitizer or some other brand and it has no ports or jacks on the tablet. I have to attach it to the dock if I want to use headphones, plug in a USB device, use expandable storage, or do video out.

3.5mm jack and MicroSD slot are on the bottom of the tablet. 3.5mm jack on the right and microSD slot on the left and yes the keyboard also got 3.5mm jack and SD slot. You can see those ports shown on one of the 5 minute youtube videos.

It seems like there is pen, but HP has just been kind of weird with it by not showing it in videos or advertising it.
There's discussion about it here.
COMING SOON: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8) - Page 6

You can see the pen mentioned and pictured on the HP's site.
HP ENVY x2 Features - Ultrathin 11 Inch Tablet | HP? Official Site | HP

Though if there's no wacom then it's certainly not for me. In here the price difference between Samsung is around 30 euros so i'm more than happy to pay for the build for the materials on it, even as i'm planning to get core hybrid late next year.

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
3.5mm jack and MicroSD slot are on the bottom of the tablet. 3.5mm jack on the right and microSD slot on the left and yes the keyboard also got 3.5mm jack and SD slot. You can see those ports shown on one of the 5 minute youtube videos.

It seems like there is pen, but HP has just been kind of weird with it by not showing it in videos or advertising it.
There's discussion about it here.
COMING SOON: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8) - Page 6

You can see the pen mentioned and pictured on the HP's site.
HP ENVY x2 Features - Ultrathin 11 Inch Tablet | HP? Official Site | HP

Though if there's no wacom then it's certainly not for me. In here the price difference between Samsung is around 30 euros so i'm more than happy to pay for the build for the materials on it, even as i'm planning to get core hybrid late next year.

Oh really? Yeah weird that HP didn't mention it on their own product page.

Well in that case, my only two problems now is price (plus stylus isn't included) and is the digitizer made by wacom? Guess we'll have to wait to find out.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
So I actually went to the Microsoft Store today to pick up some KontrolFreeks for my Xbox 360 controller, and I got a chance to take a look at the Surface RT and... I kind of want one now. Actually, I really want one now. =/

The touch cover, it worked better than I thought. I remember watching the keynote/launch and Microsoft saying that it would take a few days to get used to it, but after only a couple minutes I got the hang of it and made almost no errors typing.

The screen size seems just right, especially compared to the 10.1" screen of the Asus Vivo Tab RT. I'm not sure why the Vivo Tab RT's screen felt so small, especially because I had an iPad before with a 10.1" screen. It must be the 16:9 aspect ratio. Also, the Surface feels really nice in the hand, and while the screen is no Retina display, it's still pretty decent. I mean, I'm staring at my computer monitor all the time, and I'm not complaining about that.

But yeah, the touch cover is really amazing to me.

Like I said before, I really wish Microsoft made an x86 Atom version of the Surface, because I'd buy that. I could really use the x86 support and digital inking.

And I actually considered getting the Surface Pro when it comes out because of the 1080p resolution and the x86 processor, but it's heavier than I'd like, and if it runs Ivy Bridge, it'll get pretty warm, need a fan, won't get 10 hours of battery life, and won't support connected standby. I really hope they use Haswell instead, but I don't see that happening if the Pro is coming out in January.

six6xis

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else waiting for HP Envy X2 here?

I am. I want the longer battery life and fanless ATOM tablet and after seeing the price I figured it would be DOA. After looking at it again they are basically selling you the tablet + the dock (keyboard) whereas a lot of other companies are showing a lower price for their ATOM tablets and the docks are sold seperately. The Envy looks pretty nice though and i'll wait to see a performance review of it. I really want a pro tablet for the digitizer so most likely i'll wait to see what the Surface Pro goes for.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I got me a Surface RT. Got it just Thursday, after it being stuck at Miami for a while... Finally, TSA gave it a go and it's mine now :D :D What an amazing device, I love it and everyone that I have shown it to likes it, too.

Jason De Castro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got the Sony Vaio Duo 11 and boy does this fly. I got the i5 version and its awesome. its a perfect size being 11.6", and coming from a 13" MBP im so happy with it. Initially looking at the pictures i was worried about the thickness, but being only 17mm think its just thicker than the MBA being 14mm. I was going to purchase the Surface RT but thinking about it, i really needed the full windows to run some programs. I saw this in the shops today and fell in love with it. For what i need it for (to replace my laptop mainly) this is perfect!

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
People looking at HP Envy X2 and are planning at using the stylus it seems like X2 wont use wacom. It's a shame because wacom seems to be dominant compared to N-trig.

That said there's no official word from HP, but there's some info that HP envy X2 is using atmel. Atmel is possibly used in Surface Pro as well. Got a wait for some hands on videos to see the performance.

If it's not up there with wacom i have to go for ATIV Smart PC or VIVO tab that are the only atom tablets with wacom inside.

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got the Sony Vaio Duo 11 and boy does this fly. I got the i5 version and its awesome. its a perfect size being 11.6", and coming from a 13" MBP im so happy with it. Initially looking at the pictures i was worried about the thickness, but being only 17mm think its just thicker than the MBA being 14mm. I was going to purchase the Surface RT but thinking about it, i really needed the full windows to run some programs. I saw this in the shops today and fell in love with it. For what i need it for (to replace my laptop mainly) this is perfect!

Is it comfortable to use as a tablet?

Jaymil

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Is it comfortable to use as a tablet?

I almost bought one but ultimately it was just too beastly to be used as a tablet all the time... for me. It didn't have smooth edges for one.. lots of ports yes but it was a really jagged slab. Also the battery life was a super downer.. 4.5 hours or so compared to 8 for a 13.3 inch yoga with similar specs.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Going to get a Surface RT to play around with but have got my eye on the Kupa Ultranote for a W8 Pro tablet - Can have an i7 with 8gb ram in it and its got a swappable battery, stylus and its got a modular design so you can add card readers, usb hubs etc. No word on price though just a short video

KUPA | Touch the Future

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Surface RT 64GB x2...hopefully will pass them to the kids after the pro version is available. No problems to date, had to reinstall a few apps, but I don't think it was a hardware issue.

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I almost bought one but ultimately it was just too beastly to be used as a tablet all the time... for me. It didn't have smooth edges for one.. lots of ports yes but it was a really jagged slab. Also the battery life was a super downer.. 4.5 hours or so compared to 8 for a 13.3 inch yoga with similar specs.

Thanks I was afraid of that :( it seems like there are no "perfect" convertible devices...there are features about many that I like but all seem to have compromises...surface Pro is probably closest that I want but concerned about battery life and how practical it will be to use as a tablet.

I like the RT version but there are features of pro that I want/need. Thought atom device (Ativ Smart PC) would be OK but personally found it to be slow...

I want to replace my laptop and my iPad but that seems to be more of a challenge than I expected :(

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks I was afraid of that :( it seems like there are no "perfect" convertible devices...there are features about many that I like but all seem to have compromises...surface Pro is probably closest that I want but concerned about battery life and how practical it will be to use as a tablet.

I like the RT version but there are features of pro that I want/need. Thought atom device (Ativ Smart PC) would be OK but personally found it to be slow...

I want to replace my laptop and my iPad but that seems to be more of a challenge than I expected :(

You might have to wait for Intel's Haswell then.

Jaymil

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I hear ya. I sold my samsung series 9 and my ipad/android tablet both in anticipation of windows 8 tablets. Days go by and no release dates or any info at all come out from Asus or Lenovo or anyone about any of these. I'm starting to lean towards just picking up another surface RT and then selling it when haswell tablets start coming out. I can live with no laptop just fine (allthough it's nice to have it when I need it) but I really miss having a tablet and I do love the hardware of the surface.

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking about doing the same thing and getting a surface RT and selling later.

When are the Haswell tablets expected to start shipping and are there any rumored devices yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb