What Windows 8 Tablet did you get? or gonna get?

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I was set on getting the Thinkpad Tablet 2 (really want an x86 tab for legacy programs) but got impatient with the neverending delays and decided to get whatever I could get my hands on. That turned out to be the Samsung Ativ Smart PC through AT&T. Here are some of my thoughts on it:

The performance is actually pretty decent. I had an AMD C-50 netbook that I upgraded to Windows 8 and this was a step up from that. It opens Office 2010 programs and files without any significant hiccups (I haven't tried any crazy powerpoint presentations though). App switching is fast, web site rendering is fast, overall from a performance point of view I have no complaints. Also I haven't really gotten too involved with gaming on it-- that's what I have an Xbox for.

The size is a mixed bag. It's very thin, no complaints there. The Clover Trail fanless processor is much appreciated in this regard. However, for me personally, 11.6" is probably too big for a tablet. I already have a desktop for heavy lifting, so screen size, keyboard size, etc. are less important to me. I want legacy compatibility in a compact package, and unfortunately this tablet doesn't quite meet my needs. I could live with it, but it's not my first choice. 1/2 a strike.

I have some complaints specific to the AT&T version. I knew when I bought it that it doesn't come with an S-Pen (their version of the Wacom pen), but what I didn't know is that it most likely doesn't even have the digitizer in the screen (no evidence in device manager that it exists, plus the Wacom driver that is supplied repeatedly fails to install). That's bad because even purchasing Wacom pen on the side wouldn't help. Full strike for this.

The second issue is the microSD slot. Yes, it's there, but it only supports SDHC, which means only up to 32GB. That's not a ton of storage, especially once you start adding music, TV shows, etc. Again, not an absolute deal breaker, but not ideal. Another 1/2 strike (up to 2 strikes now)

FInally, and this is huge, the pricing is kind of outrageous compared to the wifi version, especially considering that the digitizer is probably absent. It's a full $150 more (off-contract price) just for the addition of an LTE radio (and subtraction of the digitizer). Sorry AT&T, but that's highway robbery. Again, at the time of purchase it didn't seem completely outrageous, but the digitizer thing really bothered me. One more strike, that means it's out and I'm returning it.

It's too bad, in the three days I've had it I really like the tablet idea, Windows 8, and the processor/battery life combo. The good thing is that this scratched my itch in the short term, so I can now wait patiently for the perfect hardware combo that I'll be happy with.

Speaking of which, I think I'm now going to consider the Dell Latitude 10 in addition to the Lenovo. The Dell doesn't have a pen silo built-in like the Lenovo, but it does have a swappable battery and a full-size SD slot. And the 4G radio is up in the air. I guess I'll have to see.

-R

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure about the microsd slot on the ATT Ativ. I picked one up also and have my 64gb card running in there. I was also disappointed to find out that there was no digitizer which in the end may have me returning it.

I have found the speed to be good for the apps that I want to run. Also having LTE built in is great. I had been tethering to my cell phone but having it on the tablet makes it more convenient to use when out and about.

I was at the Microsoft Store yesterday and they had the Samsung Ativ Smart PC Pro. I have to say that this was a nice unit. The digitizer was amazing which once again had me thinking of returning my ATT version. The pro model has the typical laptop vents all around so you know that fan is going to be running. The battery life was claimed at 8 hours but even the sales guy guessed 6 in the real world. They had not had it long enough to see how hot the back got in use which would be a drawback of a unit with i5 processor.

In the end I am still torn between keeping the ATT version with LTE and returning it for the non LTE version with digitizer or the pro version. I really like the Samsung design with the speakers facing you.. just seems to make sense.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I was set on getting the Thinkpad Tablet 2 (really want an x86 tab for legacy programs) but got impatient with the neverending delays and decided to get whatever I could get my hands on. That turned out to be the Samsung Ativ Smart PC through AT&T. Here are some of my thoughts on it:

-R

Are you sure about the microsd slot on the ATT Ativ. I picked one up also and have my 64gb card running in there. I was also disappointed to find out that there was no digitizer which in the end may have me returning it.

Did either of you get the keyboard dock too from AT&T when you tried out the Ativ Smart PC?

cbixby

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up my Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro (700t) @ the MS Store. I got the i5 128g SD. I have been waiting for this thing forever!! So glad to finally get it!! From what I understand I am one of the first to own one so let me know if anyone has any questions about it (I'll give the lowdown on battery consumption with the i5).

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

I have found the speed to be good for the apps that I want to run. Also having LTE built in is great. I had been tethering to my cell phone but having it on the tablet makes it more convenient to use when out and about.

I was at the Microsoft Store yesterday and they had the Samsung Ativ Smart PC Pro. I have to say that this was a nice unit. The digitizer was amazing which once again had me thinking of returning my ATT version. The pro model has the typical laptop vents all around so you know that fan is going to be running. The battery life was claimed at 8 hours but even the sales guy guessed 6 in the real world. They had not had it long enough to see how hot the back got in use which would be a drawback of a unit with i5 processor.

In the end I am still torn between keeping the ATT version with LTE and returning it for the non LTE version with digitizer or the pro version. I really like the Samsung design with the speakers facing you.. just seems to make sense.

I was going off the published specs as I didn't have a 64GB card handy, but obviously if you've got it working then that's pretty definitive. It's a nice piece of kit, no doubt, and the LTE was very useful. I just can't justify paying that kind of money for a tablet that, ultimately, is too big for me and doesn't have the digitizer. The Lenovo's published specs claim AT&T LTE compatibility, while the Dell is a little vague on that point. It sucks because I really want a tablet NOW, but I think that I'd be better off waiting and getting a tablet that is more to my liking.

-R

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Did either of you get the keyboard dock too from AT&T when you tried out the Ativ Smart PC?

No, honestly I'm not really interested in a keyboard dock. I'd prefer some sort of docking station with USB ports (so I could hook up a full-size keyboard and normal mouse while at work), and otherwise it would be a tablet. Also, I hear that the keyboard docks are even harder to find than the tablets themselves.

-R

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I ended up with the Microsoft wedge Bluetooth keyboard that comes with a cover/ tablet stand. I figured it was a bit more portable for me.

I am interested the battery life of the pro version which I saw in the MS store yesterday. Was tempting.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
No, honestly I'm not really interested in a keyboard dock. I'd prefer some sort of docking station with USB ports (so I could hook up a full-size keyboard and normal mouse while at work), and otherwise it would be a tablet. Also, I hear that the keyboard docks are even harder to find than the tablets themselves.

-R

Yeah, I was hoping someone would know if the AT&T keyboard dock is the exact same one for the Wi-Fi only version of the ATIV Smart PC, since AT&T is selling their keyboard dock for only $49.

So the docking solution you're looking for is more like what the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 has for a dock, right?

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was hoping someone would know if the AT&T keyboard dock is the exact same one for the Wi-Fi only version of the ATIV Smart PC, since AT&T is selling their keyboard dock for only $49.

So the docking solution you're looking for is more like what the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 has for a dock, right?

Yes, exactly, and the Dell has the same sort of dock. I just think that the most likely time I would need a keyboard is at my desk at work, and in that case I would want a full-size keyboard and a real mouse (and an ethernet port). If I'm on a plane or on vacation or whatever I could make do with the on-screen keyboard. That's why the digitizer is so important to me: not only would it be a mouse surrogate when I'm not near a real one, but I could also use handwriting recognition on my tablet if I got sick of tapping on the virtual keyboard.

As far as the keyboard dock being sold by AT&T, my suspicion is that it would work with the wifi-only Ativ as well. The physical dimensions and connector ports are the same for both versions of the tablet.

-R

waltah

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm picking up the Samsung Ativ with AT&T LTE this week. It's only $10/month on my plan and I have a 15gb data share plan that I don't use all of. I was considering the Asus at first, but I don't think I want to be limited to the Windows Store for apps. If I want to watch things I've purchased over the years from Apple I can install iTunes and things like Sonos Controller and MOG are apps I use every day that aren't available in the store.
Not getting a keyboard as I'll be using it as a tablet, but may pick up the stand. I'll also be getting the Belkin folio case for it.
I'm picking up a Surface RT for my GF for Christmas so lots of MSFT gear getting added to our house along with my Lumia 920:)

Funtastic Software

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Really wanted a Surface Pro at release date, but was disappointed when they only announced RT for sale. Thought about getting a Thinkpad Tablet 2 instead, but im still on the fence...

luminus

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ordered one of those $400 Acer W510 32gb tablet last night from the MS Store sales online. Will report back with impression once it arrives. So excited! :D

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm picking up the Samsung Ativ with AT&T LTE this week. It's only $10/month on my plan and I have a 15gb data share plan that I don't use all of. I was considering the Asus at first, but I don't think I want to be limited to the Windows Store for apps. If I want to watch things I've purchased over the years from Apple I can install iTunes and things like Sonos Controller and MOG are apps I use every day that aren't available in the store.
Not getting a keyboard as I'll be using it as a tablet, but may pick up the stand. I'll also be getting the Belkin folio case for it.
I'm picking up a Surface RT for my GF for Christmas so lots of MSFT gear getting added to our house along with my Lumia 920:)

Just wanted to make sure you know that the AT&T Ativ Smart PC doesn't have a digitizer. Did not see that as something that you mentioned wanting to use but some people have purchased it and not known that it was not included.

It is a great device overall. I am sure you will love it.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to get a Surface Pro, but the Asus Vivo Tab and Lenovo ThinkPad tablet 2 have got me thinking. Decisions decions :eck:

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
The HP ENVY x2 is looking pretty good to me right now. Will have to see what shakes out when all of the releases happen in mid December.

wpmarcel

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I love the HP Envy x2 design and specs, but I think I will wait for the next generation. I would love to have the HP Envy x2 with a Haswell processor and 1080 screen

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I am looking hard at the HP Envy X2. I have a RT now and it is great for on the road but want the HP for in the office. Then I will have the best of both worlds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6