Official Must Have Windows Store Apps (x86, RT)

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
re: Official Must Have Apps (x86, RT)

Hi, which app is best for TV listings? And which channels or TV programs have apps available in Windows Store?

I'm not sure about apps in the store, but I use Project Free TV site to stream TV shows and some movies. It works extremely well with Explorer. I even plug it in to my TV to watch on the big screen! No more cable for this guy!!

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

>>AppStars - free, awesome and unique way to browse the store

Looks like this app had been removed from the Windows Store, is there any other substitute app with similar functions available in the store?

accasey

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm not sure about apps in the store, but I use Project Free TV site to stream TV shows and some movies. It works extremely well with Explorer. I even plug it in to my TV to watch on the big screen! No more cable for this guy!!

The site you mentioned looks interesting. Do you use the free or pro account? Do you know if it supports subtitles with the streaming? I guess not..

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

>>AppStars - free, awesome and unique way to browse the store

Looks like this app had been removed from the Windows Store, is there any other substitute app with similar functions available in the store?

It's still there, change you're region to U.S. (we had to as well, we're from Canada) and search for 'App Stars.'

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Hi, I think there's something wrong with The Weather Channel app, recently every time I try to open this app, all I see is the TWC splash screen for a short moment, then it kicks me back to the Start menu, I even try to remove this app and reinstall it, but it doesn't improve. Anyone experienced the same issue?

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

How about a podcast app? I couldn't find anything in the store for audio podcasts that allowed for the full features you find on various mobile phone apps (even the pre).

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Ok, here's a few more:

For those of you that don't know, YouTubeRT has been rebranded as Hyper, the most complete youtube app in the store - Free

Finance Helper - great little budget app that syncs across all your windows devices via the cloud - Free

Pew Pew - retro gaming at it's finest! Hilarious little asteroids like game with the greatest sound effects you'll ever hear in a game :) - Free

Book Bazaar Reader - simply the best epub reader we've come across in a long time - Free

Enjoy and keep posting folks!

pgbcon26

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

so far love my rt does so many things I may stay away from my other machines. thank you for the many suggestions

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Well, here's some more we like:

Vevo - free - just released and I got to tell you, it's a gorgeous looking app with great functionality, definitely worth the download!

Dragon's Blade - free and an 'ad free' version for $1.99 - if you liked Final Fantasy you'll love this game. Constantly being updated by a very active developer, this is a very professionally done app. Spend the $2 and support this dev, RT needs more of guys like this to survive.

Alphabets Writing - free - We have an 'almost' 3yr old daughter and this app is perfect for helping us in teaching her how to print her letters. Just put a stylus in her hand and watch her work!

S.A.S. Survival Guide - $3.49 - just recently released here in Canada it's worth the money just to read this awesome book of elite training techniques even if you are never ever going to apply them in real life like most couch potatoes.

Have fun and post some more, I know there's more RT users out there than us!

berryaddictnoza

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Olive Tree Bible Reader (Bible study app) works really well on the RT too.
Brad and Ellen; yep, I love and use OneNote too, but Evernote cross platform ability makes it more useful to me.

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Olive Tree Bible Reader (Bible study app) works really well on the RT too.
Brad and Ellen; yep, I love and use OneNote too, but Evernote cross platform ability makes it more useful to me.

Haven't tried Olive Tree yet, we'll give it a go. Verse Of The Day by Logos is a great, simple app that also adds a nice addition to your lock screen. Glad you like Evernote, it's a great app.
Do you know of any cross-platform To Do apps? Looking for a specific app designed for To Dos (rather than using OneNote) that syncs with Win8, WinRT, and WP8.

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Hey all,
For those of you that do not live in the U.S.A., you can download and install any free app that is exclusive to the Windows U.S. Store. Simply swipe the charms from the start screen, type 'region,' tap 'settings,' tap 'region,' and change your region to the U.S. As a matter of fact, if you want an app that is exclusive to any particular country, just change the region to that country. Remember, it's free apps only.
Now I know that most if not all of you know this already but the reason that I'm reminding everyone is that the new Discovery Channel, TLC, and Animal Planet releases are fully functional in all regions! So, change your region to the U.S. and enjoy these apps released by Discovery Communications.

Have fun and keep posting!

Sent from our Surface RT

berryaddictnoza

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Haven't tried Olive Tree yet, we'll give it a go. Verse Of The Day by Logos is a great, simple app that also adds a nice addition to your lock screen. Glad you like Evernote, it's a great app.
Do you know of any cross-platform To Do apps? Looking for a specific app designed for To Dos (rather than using OneNote) that syncs with Win8, WinRT, and WP8.

Evernote has a "To Do" format you can use. I don't know if it's available on Win8 as I'm still running Win7 on my desktop, but I have it there. I know WP8 has an Evernote app, but I don't know if it's as "robust" as the Surface RT version.
Olive Tree is a great Bible study app, with the ability to easily find the meaning of Greek and Hebrew words, multiple bible versions available, great commentaries and notes. If you study the Bible (and if you're Christian, I hope you do), it's a great resource.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Torrex -- torrent downloading client

Social NV - superb 3rd party Facebook app

RBC Canada app -- if you're in Canada and an RBC client

Podcasts - free, from the creators of the reliable Windows Phone version

Nokia Music

Teamviewer Touch

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Social NV - superb 3rd party Facebook app

RBC Canada app -- if you're in Canada and an RBC client

My wife has been trying SocialNV (she's a FaceBook junkie but you never read that) but she still thinks that MINE for FaceBook is still the better app. As a matter of fact, she prefers MINE to any other FaceBook App on any platform.

I hope the rest of the banks get off their collective behinds and release apps as well, it's not like they're hurting for cash. I see PC Financial released for the double A's, it would be nice if they showed Windows some love.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss