ASUS VivoTab RT for $370 @ Amazon

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: ASUS VivoTab RT for $399 @ Amazon

As far as I know, there are no cellular model RT tablets yet.

The VivoTab RT has a cellular antenna in it, and it's sold at many AT&T stores right now. It's actually for that specific reason that I am telling my grandma it would be better to get a VivoTab RT over a Surface RT, which would require the addition of tethering or a mobile hotspot. The Samsung ATIV Smart is also capable of working off of cellular Internet.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand what MS is doing with RT. They should have the pro tablets for those who want the hybrid functionality, and tablets running a slightly modified version of WP8 for those that want mainly a consumption device with some practical features. Best part about that is the headstart on apps, with access to the WP Store which now has 130,000 apps.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

I really don't understand what MS is doing with RT. They should have the pro tablets for those who want the hybrid functionality, and tablets running a slightly modified version of WP8 for those that want mainly a consumption device with some practical features. Best part about that is the headstart on apps, with access to the WP Store which now has 130,000 apps.

Isn't that exactly what they're doing with the RT though? It's the consumption device with some ability to do some work, and the pro series for the heavy lifting.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Isn't that exactly what they're doing with the RT though? It's the consumption device with some ability to do some work, and the pro series for the heavy lifting.

The problem is that the RT and Atom devices are pretty redundant. Both are supposed to be the long-lasting, low-powered alternative for the i5-touting Surface Pro and other hybrids. However, you get legacy software with the Atom devices, but they run 32-bit Windows 8. Even then, 32-bit Windows 8 is MUCH more useful on the compatibility front than the ARM-based Windows RT.

I am equally confused as to whether or not Windows RT has a real future. I mean, they could have EASILY thrown an Atom processor into the RT, then just sold them as Surface and Surface Pro, just as they sell Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro. There's just not much going for ARM once Haswell/Bay Trail hit, that's what the fear is.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Pretty much exactly, except minus about 120,00 of those apps. All they've managed to do is create yet another category of devices for the Verge to whine about the lack of apps for. Not to mention the FAR smaller OS footprint on system resources like storage. A WP8-based tablet at one of the common nominal sizes (32 or 64gb) would give you a lot more available space out of the box.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

That is a great price. But since I already have a Surface, if I bought that and added on the price of the divorce, it would be more than I care to spend.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

That is a great price. But since I already have a Surface, if I bought that and added on the price of the divorce, it would be more than I care to spend.

That'd be less money that the ex gets, though. (I'm just kidding around and making light of a not-light situation).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

$370

Amazon.com: ASUS VivoTab RT TF600T-B1-GR 10.1-Inch 32 GB Tablet (Gray): Computers & Accessories

Man, that's a great price for the RT tablet and much closer for what OEMs should be shooting for ($300 and below, IMO). It even has a micro HDMI and IPS panel. The only thing that makes Surface more attractive is build quality and possibly more/faster software updates.

That's $370 for JUST the tablet though, right? You then have to add another $160 for the dock, meaning $530 in the end. That's still JUST over the Surface RT's price, and $100 cheaper than the Surface RT with the Type Cover, though. Pretty-good price, though I think it's worth the extra $70 to get the cellular model on AT&T, if you are someone who wants that feature in a tablet.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

That's $370 for JUST the tablet though, right? You then have to add another $160 for the dock, meaning $530 in the end. That's still JUST over the Surface RT's price, and $100 cheaper than the Surface RT with the Type Cover, though. Pretty-good price, though I think it's worth the extra $70 to get the cellular model on AT&T, if you are someone who wants that feature in a tablet.

But the dock not only gives you a portable keyboard but also a battery extender. The RT with touch cover adds another $119 so cheapest for that is $618.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

But the dock not only gives you a portable keyboard but also a battery extender. The RT with touch cover adds another $119 so cheapest for that is $618.

I know all of that, but the main concern (and it's definitely factoring into what to tell my grandma she should get) is that people are having issues with the displays.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I think the fact that there are only a handful of apps for Windows RT right now and that a 32 GB tablet only has 16 GB available for me to use OUT OF THE BOX is a pretty damn good excuse not to buy one. Not to mention the fact that every review I've read says the Win RT tablets are a bit sluggish.

Believe me, I want to root for the home team. I love my Windows Phone and I would love nothing more than to drop kick my Android tablet into space and pick up a sexy Nokia tablet to replace it... but I'm not even considering it until Microsoft gets a little more serious about this and figures out what they are doing with this Win RT thing. I get the sense that they aren't even sure, I see very little enthusiasm in the market and very little development buzz for a product that most people don't quite understand yet.

With my phone it's a bit different, I can sacrifice the availability of some apps and some functionality I might miss out on in order to have the phone I like best with the UI I like best, but I ask a lot more than that out of a tablet.

So yeah, it's a great price, but even if it was $199, a tablet with hardly any apps and half of it's limited memory eaten up by system files out of the box isn't terribly useful at any price.

I am optimistic there is a future for Windows RT once Microsoft pulls its head out of its ass, but we aren't there yet. One sign that has happened I think will be if they drop the stupid name Windows RT. It sounds like an internal code name that they just didn't have time to replace with something more consumer friendly. It's awful and it communicates nothing about what it is to people. What the **** is RT? I mean I know it means Run Time, but does the average consumer know this? It's a stupid name, it needs a name that communicates that this thing runs the tile part of your Windows 8 OS, but not the normal desktop part. Call it Windows Light or something. And for the love of God do a better job of getting apps on it than you have done with Windows Phone.

/rant

I am sorry but I find it hard to believe you want to root for the home team (whatever that means). Almost every reviewer has not said RT is sluggish - some have and other have not. If, however, you are just going by what reviewers say for devices that can be seen and touched in many outlets, then you are saying you are simply not interested. As far as the number of apps goes, do you even know how many are available and what the coverage is for the things people like to use? Evidently, I would guess the answer is no. Likewise, with the size of the OS. Add third party apps to an android device or even IOS to cover the things Windows RT does out of the box and see what is left. I could say add Office 2013 but they are simply not available and the alternatives at least on android are sluggish, buggy, incapable of handling complicated documents, and introduce formatting issues when going back to Office on a Windows machine. Throw in the size of Office though (not some crappy knockoff) and again see what is left in storage.

The fact is that someone posted a good price on an RT tablet and you had two choices. You could ignore it since you are not interested, or you could go out of the way to pan RT. One conveys you have no interest and the other demonstrates an active bias and I think you made your choice clear. That, BTW, is fine - we are all going to have biases about things. For instance, I think that given the lousy battery life, Surface Pro is a really bad mobile device - whatever else it may be, if it can't match the battery life of other tablets, it fails an essential litmus test compared to those devices. Please do not, however, try to hide behind a few cheerleader clich?s, and attempt to claim your position is anything other than is obviously the case. It is an active bias and you are willing to go out of your way to tell people about it....

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Best WinRT tablet ever! And it's definitely not sluggish!

I love this tablet because of the built in keyboard that gives you 16+ hours battery life in total. Also the fact that it's thin, lighter and a lot slicker than Surface.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss