What I need (Mobile Boadband)

thawkth

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
As an IT guy supporting about 600 users, I'd like very badly to stem the flow of iPads into our workplace.

Unfortunately, I can't.

You see Windows 8 seems awesome. I can join it to our domain, connect it to our VPN, us any software, and eventually replace other devices such as laptops and desktops with simple docks.

Haswell and more powerful SOCs make this dream even closer to reality. Users can use network drives, office, print, etc...

There is just one, small, need that we have.

Our iPad users are used to Verizon LTE. I know I can buy a broadband card and attach it, but ...that's not going to fly.

What I really, truly need is something like the Asus Vivo or Samsung Ativ, or even the Surface Pro - with LTE built in. Or, a nano reciever that integrates at least.

I can't see many of our users opting for this device and having to have a dongle or mifi or tether.

I know this may seem niche, but mobility seems to be THE reason for grabbing tablets. With the recent nasty iOS 6.1 bugs and exchange (a single user with this issue has nearly brought the exchange server to it's knees TWICE) - we have a window to try inserting new devices into the agency.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot to offer yet. I had to say soon! Soon the right devices will come!

I KNOW people would love to have outlook, a real keyboard (preferably with dock/battery) and mobile internet built in...

But that time is not yet. My fear is iPads will be well and truly entrenched by the time a suitable device comes down the pipeline. I'm fighting the good fight guys, but Microsoft and OEM's and the carriers need to get on this yesterday. I don't want devices I can't manage on our network, but I can't stop them without a replacement :(

As a lowly junior admin, this is my prayer :unhappysweat::sweaty:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine LTE is not in the pipeline for Windows 8 tablets. I think it would be insane not to do so for the very reasons you stated.

thawkth

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, corporate/nonprofit Verizon discount - that's where we are for now.

You can't beat the coverage in CT, and since we have employees spread throughout the state and traveling everywhere, coverage really is quite important.

We're given great rates and have a good relationship with Verizon so that's not changing anytime soon :)

Here's hoping something comes soon. Heck, I saw an HP Envy commerical and thought to myself...toss some 4G in and I'll order 10 in the morning.

And I mean it ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss