HP ENVY X2 for $599 from Amazon!

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
After playing around with it quite a bit, I noted that there was a scuff mark forming in the well below the latch. This indicated friction to me.

So, I busted out a VERY small amount of white lithium grease (like, the amount that would fit on the end of a toothpick), dabbed a bit on either side of the switch.

Problem solved. White lithium grease is like WD40 on steroids, btw, if you've never used it. Can't be beat for situations where metal will rub on metal.

So, what happened here was not a defect in design, but rather a failure to apply lubricant to the area under the latch.

Last edited:

longcipher

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
After playing around with it quite a bit, I noted that there was a scuff mark forming in the well below the latch. This indicated friction to me.

So, I busted out a VERY small amount of white lithium grease (like, the amount that would fit on the end of a toothpick), dabbed a bit on either side of the switch.

Problem solved. White lithium grease is like WD40 on steroids, btw, if you've never used it. Can't be beat for situations where metal will rub on metal.

So, what happened here was not a defect in design, but rather a failure to apply lubricant to the area under the latch.

Good job, MacGuyver! :grin:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing another odd problem with this tablet, this one I can't fix.

If I am not holding the tablet in my hand - for instance, if it is on a couch, bed, plastic stand, or touchscreen - the screen becomes unresponsive.

It almost seems like some sort of grounding issue.

So, for everyone who bought one - try placing the tablet alone on a non-conductive surface and then use the tablet regularly however only touching the screen to see if it is fully responsive. It seems to really throw my X2 for a loop. Thanks.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing another odd problem with this tablet, this one I can't fix.

If I am not holding the tablet in my hand - for instance, if it is on a couch, bed, plastic stand, or touchscreen - the screen becomes unresponsive.

It almost seems like some sort of grounding issue.

So, for everyone who bought one - try placing the tablet alone on a non-conductive surface and then use the tablet regularly however only touching the screen to see if it is fully responsive. It seems to really throw my X2 for a loop. Thanks.

Just put mine down on the chair and tried it, screen works fine. Might go try somewhere else now, you've got me curious.

*EDIT - just tried it on the kitchen counter which is laminate, am typing this standing over it, works as it should.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just put mine down on the chair and tried it, screen works fine. Might go try somewhere else now, you've got me curious.

*EDIT - just tried it on the kitchen counter which is laminate, am typing this standing over it, works as it should.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Looks like mine has a problem, then :(

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like mine has a problem, then :(

Have you tried rebooting? Worst case scenario do a Windows refresh or a complete restore and see if the problem persists.

I seem to recall I had a cell phone that had the weird grounding issue once.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried rebooting? Worst case scenario do a Windows refresh or a complete restore and see if the problem persists.

I seem to recall I had a cell phone that had the weird grounding issue once.

It has done this since I got it (rebooted many times), just never could figure out what caused it until now. Clearly a hardware problem IMO - grounding likely.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Aww, that sucks! Are you still in the return window? If so, go exchange that sucker.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I received a brand new machine from HP, and it has exactly the same issue. My guess is people are not noticing this issue, but if it is there on two brand new machines it must be a common issue for the machine.

The issue again, is that if you place the tablet on something like a plastic tablet stand, then attempt to use the tablet without touching the back at all, parts of the touchscreen are less responsive (they still work, just slower and less accurate) unless you place a finger on the aluminum part of the display. This is especially noticable using the onscreen keyboard in this method.

Must be some odd capacitive/grounding issue with the all-aluminum chassis.

On the plus side, the replacement did have a working latch on the keyboard, though the trackpad is a lot "clickier" than the original one I had.

Despite the flaw, I still think this is the best hybrid out there.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
That's very strange, I've tried mine on multiple surfaces and have not been able to reproduce your issue.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed I seem to be having more lock ups and glitches since I flashed the F.08 BIOS though. That's a rock and a hard place as it also fixes the infrequent keyboard double space issue. I may down-flash to F.07 as I prefer a more stable machine.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
That's very strange, I've tried mine on multiple surfaces and have not been able to reproduce your issue.

I am going to call HP today and see if I can get a high level tech. Being that I got two brand new 128GB machines both with grounding issues and 64GB machines apparently do not have the issue, I would not be surprised if ramsinks or something on the addt'l memory modules were making contact with the back of the case - or something like that. I am not hopeful, though, that I will be able to reach someone to do something about this. I may end up then just returning the machine and waiting for Bay Trail-T. 64GB is not enough space for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077