Hi all,

I am a Surface Pro and Lumia 920 user, though my family is all over the place, e.g. mom uses an iPad, dad uses a WP 7.x, etc.

I decided I was going to buy a Nexus 7 as I had really wanted a 7-8 inch tablet. It was a close call between it and the iPad mini, and I decided the iPad's advantages didn't scale up to the price difference. So, I got a Nexus 7, and immediately downloaded a truckload of apps, many unavailable in the Windows eco-sphere, e.g. Flipboard, Tumblr, Temple Run 2, Subway Surfers, Real Racing 3, etc. And even Google Now.

Now, I'd be lying if I said the Nexus 7 failed to impress, oh it impressed me quite a bit. I played a bit with the uTorrent client, the widget concept was quite nice, and finally having access to Flipboard (for me) was a boon. But after the first 3-4 hours getting it up to speed, I just never picked it up (besides reading Flipboard for 10 minutes).

I sat down and really tried to conjure up genuine usage scenarios (besides commuter reading) that my Surface Pro or Lumia couldn't do. Sure, the app gap was clearly apparent, but it wasn't enough to get me to use the Nexus 7 in a manner that justified spending $200 + tax on it. I even imagined a "what if" scenario whereby Android would have the latest Office 2013 apps, especially OneNote, but why would I need this 7 inch tablet when my phone could read it just fine?

In fact, I began missing a few of the important things that kept me afloat on Windows 8 and Phone! For example, I would connect my ear buds to the Nexus 7 only to find that I had no music. Turns out that I was deeply accustomed to Xbox Music on my other devices. Granted Android was/is pretty cool, but the power of eco-systems just took me over, the value-added proposition of Android (however great) fell through for me due to my investment in Microsoft.

I'm not writing this because I want to argue that Android sucks or anything, but rather, the power of investing in an eco-system is quite amazing. One could literally turn away from a great product/system simply because the marginal gains it offers over one's existing system aren't high enough. I decided to return it, thinking to myself, "if I had to get a 7-8 inch tablet, it would have to be a Windows device for sure."

Which leads to me to my next point, this is what others are seeing with Windows. It isn't as though Windows Phone is truly that lacking, it's a phenomenal OS when paired with Nokia. Nope. It's just that we haven't disturbed the market enough to take large swaths of users, there's nothing amazingly compelling in Windows Phone or RT or 8 that will push people away from their iOS/Android investments...except one.
    HeyCori likes this.
    04-11-2013 10:57 AM
    Nope. It's just that we haven't disturbed the market enough to take large swaths of users, there's nothing amazingly compelling in Windows Phone or RT or 8 that will push people away from their iOS/Android investments...except one.
    Just 1 question and i need 1 simple answer:what is making RT better than other devices?Just one...
    04-11-2013 12:11 PM
    Just 1 question and i need 1 simple answer:what is making RT better than other devices?Just one...
    An OS that is in the same league (in terms of cost) as Chrome OS.

You guessed it, something that Windows RT wasn't put to use as, unfortunately. But if one were to take that OS, optimize it further and put it on next-generation light/low-end processors, but omit the 'luxuries' e.g. touch, high end hardware, etc, you could come up with tomorrow's PC-like device.

Think of it this way. Despite the fact that people mostly use iOS/Android for computing, they still have a central "hub" for use as their one go-to device. At some point in a person's life stuff actually does get serious enough for them to sit down on a conventional computer (e.g. laptop) for "work." This "work" could include writing cover letters and preparing resumes, writing blog posts, writing on Facebook - something you simply can't leave your laptop for no matter what. My mom has an iPad, but when it comes to work - despite Google Docs and Office Web Apps - she always returns to her Windows PC. My brother, he might prefer doing his consumption on his iPad, but he ultimately returns to his MacBook Air for more intensive stuff. It happens...

The difference however is that because of the Nexus devices most people are simply unaccustomed to paying $599+ tax for a Surface RT with Type/Touch cover. At the same time however, not everyone is going to put up with their increasingly old and dying PCs to keep up with their heavy work, why not invest in a new PC? Well, it turns out that what's available today is simply too expensive for people, and while this is an artificial IMHO, it is a reality all players in a game with Google have to contend with. You can't easily get away with $999 devices, sadly...

As it stands Windows RT is a phenomenal OS in terms of what it offers to the user who isn't going to use it all the time, e.g. top apps such as Skype, Xbox Suite of Music, Video and Games, Office, news apps, Netflix, etc. The browser is fully Flash enabled, so web access shouldn't be a problem either. Sure, compared to iOS/Android it's weak, but why compare it devices you know people already have? Don't make them drop those platforms, make them add you! Compel them to replace their old netbooks, Windows XP/Vista PCs, etc, with a Windows RT device, and keep them away from Google's Chrome OS.

Go cheap. Spend more time optimizing Windows RT, make it such that it runs flawlessly on comparatively lesser hardware, akin to Windows Phone. Modify Windows RT so that it is easily and intuitively operable without a touch-screen, develop a top notch track-pad, and omit the luxuries. With its means Microsoft should push out a direct Chrome OS competitor with Windows RT, a 'Surface Book' that starts at $299.99 for the barebones. Moreover, couple it with $50 worth of subscriptions to Xbox Music, Skype credits, a ebooks or magazines service, etc. Market it with a vibe of "getting slow, getting old, unreliable? well, guess what, getting yourself a new PC doesn't have to run you a grand, at under $300 you can get the latest Windows PC for your Skyp'ing, your Office, your Albums, and you know - when you got sit down and work.

With such an environment you may even be able to create a userbase that does regularly use Windows Store apps, thus attracting app and services development to the platform. Build up from the $299 with options, e.g. a touch-screen book for $399, a detachable book-tablet for $449.99, an initial Bay Trail powered Surface Pro with flash memory for $499, and so on. You can hit $999 for a North Cape powered Surface Pro with 128GB SSD.
    HeyCori and ShaunKL like this.
    04-11-2013 01:39 PM