No Surface 2.0 Announcement!?!?

apophus6

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What is going on!? I've been waiting for /build/ for the longest time because of the quasi-confirmed rumors that we would get the 2.0 or "plus" announcement and...nothing. Anybody have any word on this other than softpedia reporting an unconfirmed delay?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry but what is going on is you believed the rumor mill. There was never anything from Microsoft to suggest they were really making an announcement, just typical BS from a lot of people who like to hear themselves talk. As it stands, Haswell chips have only been out for a very short time and the world is hardly filled with the hardware to take advantage of them, and the next generation Atom processors are not even out. The next generation ARM processors are also still somewhere off towards the horizon. There will not be a Surface 2 announced until it is more than concept - the same goes for the mythical small form factor. That could be a few days or a few months and anyone who really knows has signed a NDA and really likes 1) their income, and 2) not getting sued. Planning purchases on the basis of the rumor mill is entirely at your own risk. You can hardly fault the manufacturer for not announcing something they never said they would announce.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
tbh, I have been putting off the purchase of a surface because (not that I heard any rumors) but expected the next generation sometime before Christmas. idk

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would have assumed they would wait on any announcements on Surface 2.0 (if it actually exists) to be after 8.1 is out of beta and hits RTM.

Going on that I wouldn't expect any new tablets out of MS until early 2014. Actually makes more sense having it on a 1 year hardware cycle otherwise you end up self cannibalising your own product line.

apophus6

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
All good points. To Stephen, oh I know I suckered myself into getting excited about the rumor mill. It seemed like the parts-production rumors paired wtih the sales/price drops that were announced for the current Surface models foretold the coming of a new product.

It does stand to reason that with Microsoft pushing more for an Apple-like "announce now, release now" approach that they may have it currently in production but will wait for (good point martinmc) 8.1 to hit RTM and then announce/release in the same cycle. I'm mostly hopeful for a Holiday '13 release as I really want to enjoy a new Surface with my XBOX One and all the joys the new Smartglass will have to offer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers