just tried the MS Surface and Acer Iconia W3

F60Outrunn

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My opinion of the Microsoft Surface and Acer Iconia W3

i have been casually interested in a Windows 8 tablet ever since i got my Nokia Lumia 920. every review i have read says that the MS Surface is ok, but not great. while the Iconia W3 appears to be better. i went to a PC world super store near me (im in UK), they had both models available to play with. i was deeply impressed with the surface, it seemed like a great device to use.But when i went to try the Iconia W3, the one i was interested in more, it seemed - well to be blunt, rubbish. the screen was terrible plus it didnt feel as intuitive to use. i actually considered getting the Surface there and then but there is supposed to be a new wave of W8 tablets coming out next month? (W8.1 i think).

i know this is basically a rant, but i was honestly suprised by how good the Surface felt to use, and how bad the W3 was.

rant over.

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Most tech review sites rate the Surface RT down because it can't run legacy applications, which astounds me because I can't see what's so difficult to understand. Sure, I think the discrepancy between Windows RT and Windows 8 should have been more clear and is somewhat of a mistake on Microsoft's part, but to the tech-literate it shouldn't need to be explained.

My Surface RT is one of the best devices I have ever spent money on and I would recommend it to anybody, especially now the price is dropping. It's done everything I have needed it to do and more and is a gorgeous device to boot. And with the 8.1 preview, it's even better, just needs the "Metro" Office apps and there will be no need to use the desktop.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I love my Surface. Now granted, I haven't used every other tablet on the market, the HP Touchpad is my only other experience, but this thing does everything I need it to. I hardly ever get on our pc. I myself have noticed how this thing does stuff my wife's iPad 3 won't do.

8.1 is an update. I don't know of any new tablets actually scheduled to be released. Lots of rumors and if you wait for the next big thing, by the time it is released, there will be another new device everyone is talking about. You will always be playing the waiting game.

I have seen some good comments on the 8.1 Preview for the Surface, and I've seen some bad comments. Personally, I'm waiting for the official release for my RT. I don't think you will be hurt by purchasing one now.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I would buy my Surface RT all over again and will definitely get a new generation Surface when it's time to upgrade my tablet in a few years, supposing Microsoft still has a "current generation" Surface for sale.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Most tech review sites rate the Surface RT down because it can't run legacy applications, which astounds me because I can't see what's so difficult to understand. Sure, I think the discrepancy between Windows RT and Windows 8 should have been more clear and is somewhat of a mistake on Microsoft's part, but to the tech-literate it shouldn't need to be explained.

My Surface RT is one of the best devices I have ever spent money on and I would recommend it to anybody, especially now the price is dropping. It's done everything I have needed it to do and more and is a gorgeous device to boot. And with the 8.1 preview, it's even better, just needs the "Metro" Office apps and there will be no need to use the desktop.

What amazes me is the quandary that Surface RT is in. No one complained that an iPad couldn't run Mac OS software. But most people see "Windows" and want to run "Windows Programs." RT has a chance to remove the "bloat" of legacy and expand into a new direction and perhaps become Microsoft's OS of choice. But so many people are confused or left dissatisfied with Windows RT.

agp101

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
What amazes me is the quandary that Surface RT is in. No one complained that an iPad couldn't run Mac OS software. But most people see "Windows" and want to run "Windows Programs." RT has a chance to remove the "bloat" of legacy and expand into a new direction and perhaps become Microsoft's OS of choice. But so many people are confused or left dissatisfied with Windows RT.

No one develops for windows RT. Real windows 8 is where it's at. It just simply doesn't appeal to the masses.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
No one develops for windows RT. Real windows 8 is where it's at. It just simply doesn't appeal to the masses.

That's rubbish. There's thousands of apps in the Windows Store. For a touch-based device these apps are where its at. The Desktop provides the versatility and productivity of the millions of legacy Windows apps which can run windowed for the ultimate productivity when connected to a keyboard, mouse, and ideally larger display. Plus, in a home or business environment with a domain can be domain joined (pro/enterprise) for the ultimate in connectivity and manageability. But as demonstrated by the huge volumes of iOS and Android tablets being sold, a LOT of people do just fine without these benefits of 'real' Windows. Your statement couldn't be further from the truth. Having said that, RT doesn't appeal to me personally, so it's not like I'm an RT ******. Just an objective observer.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
That's rubbish. There's thousands of apps in the Windows Store. For a touch-based device these apps are where its at. The Desktop provides the versatility and productivity of the millions of legacy Windows apps which can run windowed for the ultimate productivity when connected to a keyboard, mouse, and ideally larger display. Plus, in a home or business environment with a domain can be domain joined (pro/enterprise) for the ultimate in connectivity and manageability. But as demonstrated by the huge volumes of iOS and Android tablets being sold, a LOT of people do just fine without these benefits of 'real' Windows. Your statement couldn't be further from the truth. Having said that, RT doesn't appeal to me personally, so it's not like I'm an RT ******. Just an objective observer.

I have to admit, I was in the market for the Iconia W3 because I believe the 7-8" size is a sweet spot for tablets. I relented and went with an Nexus 7. It is a fantastic e-reader despite the fact I didn't want to return to Android. Microsoft and their OEM partners are behind here, as usual. I want Windows tablets to succeed and I own a Surface Pro...but there is a ways to go for Microsoft.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No one complained that an iPad couldn't run Mac OS software. But most people see "Windows" and want to run "Windows Programs." RT has a chance to remove the "bloat" of legacy and expand into a new direction and perhaps become Microsoft's OS of choice. But so many people are confused or left dissatisfied with Windows RT.

People didn't complain that an iPad couldn't run Mac OS software because it didn't need to. It has all kinds of apps available. Windows RT apps are limited, leaving the functionality lower than iPad's. If Windows RT had the apps available that the iPad has, giving it similar functionality, people wouldn't complain about not being able to run Windows legacy apps.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
People didn't complain that an iPad couldn't run Mac OS software because it didn't need to. It has all kinds of apps available. Windows RT apps are limited, leaving the functionality lower than iPad's. If Windows RT had the apps available that the iPad has, giving it similar functionality, people wouldn't complain about not being able to run Windows legacy apps.

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Where's the Ballmer chant when you need it? Serious...RT/Modern apps needs to grow in QUALITY numbers...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Maybe we need the chant, but the sweat? :amaze: Eewwwww!

If it takes the sweat to rid me of this Nexus 7 for my 7" tablet needs, I say go for it! It is really inexcusable for nearly a year and the lack of apps to entice people from iOS/Android are not there yet (Facebook, Instagram, Flipboard, Candy Crush.)...mind you, those apps really aren't needed due to the full browser but having a Facebook app will make the "Share Charm" much better on sharing to Facebook.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I can remote to my network and run my servers with my Surface RT. I wouldn't say that is limited or non functional at all. Unless I had an ipad.

TunaTank

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
About people developing for WinRT... even WPCentral doesn't have an app for the Windows store... I was amazed to see that they hadn't made one...

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Was this the situation when the iPad first released? I distinctly remember the PDF reader being the most useful thing on iPad for some time, the flow of serious apps is still relatively new. That said, I'd consider Windows RT a productivity tablet for those who already own consumption iOS/Android devices, the real problem with Surface and other RT units was high pricing and poor distribution.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
About people developing for WinRT... even WPCentral doesn't have an app for the Windows store... I was amazed to see that they hadn't made one...

Even WPCentral's WP8 app is 3rd party. iOS & Android both have 1st party apps. What gives?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a Surface RT, and I love it. Bought it the week it came out in a pop-up store in Dallas. With help from some members of this forum, I decided to get the W3, and haven't touched my Surface in weeks. I admit, compared to the screen of the Surface, the W3's screen is not the best, but for a one person device, it is pretty easily overlooked...for me anyways. My only real complaint with the W3 (I knew about screen quality before hand, so I can't complain) is the volume level in Netflix. It's very low. I use my W3 all day...every day. Overall, I love this little guy. It's a great little tablet...that happens to be running a full OS. Pretty cool. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs