Considering ether the ASUS VivoTab Smart ME400C or Acer Iconia W3-810

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, i am going to get a Windows 8 tablet on top of hopefully getting a Lumia 1020, i have a few questions though.

How much storage will the W3-810 actually have after installing everything, it comes with 32GB.

Does anybody else have any other recommendations for a Windows 8 tablet?

Which one would be better overall for me to get?

These are the are the links for both deals.
Iconia W3 8" Tablet with Microsoft Office + Carry Case + Protective Film + Additional Warranty
and this: ASUS VivoTab Smart ME400C Tablet - Tablets - Asus Laptops and Tablets | Harvey Norman Australia

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I own the 32GB Acer W3 810 and it's best to get the 64GB model. After you do all the updates for Windows and then install Office, you're left with less than 10GB. If you can live with that, then go for the 32GB. Since it has an SD slot, you can always use a card as a holding tank. However, I do suggest the 64GB model.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I also own a 32GB iconia w3 and here is my opinion of each:
- They both have the same hardware and specs so they will run exactly the same in windows 8 and with programs as well as have identical battery life.
- What you need to decide is what size do you need?
If you want one for media consumption - Watching Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, checking email, streaming radio/music, surfing the web, reading digital books or magazines and playing with metro apps then get the Acer Iconia w3. The 8 inch form factor is perfect for all these things.

If you want one for work/laptop usability - Word processing, heavy email, for your job work, utilizing multiple windows in desktop mode then get the Asus Vivotab smart. The 10 inch screen is more conducive to working yet still provides a tablet atmosphere and function. I believe the vivotab also comes with a keyboard , I can't remember if it extends battery life.. I don't think it does unfortunately.

The only other thing to say is that the Iconia w3 should cost half of what the vivotab costs, at least here in America you can purchase an iconia for $249, but a vivotab smart is closer to $500. That alone to me was worth it for the Iconia w3, as well as many small tablets are shipping with office home and student 2013.

If you already have a good laptop I say get the Iconia w3 it will fill the media consumption void in your lineup.

If you don't have a laptop or tablet already definitely get the Vivotab, it will become a valuable tool and may replace your desktop becoming an extremely valuable mobile device!

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
For some reason, the 64GB W3 isn't available at the acerstore. I was going to use it for some gaming, YouTube and web browsing.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually planning on getting the Acer as well. But I have to do serious research since I hear alot of bad things about it.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
For some reason, the 64GB W3 isn't available at the acerstore. I was going to use it for some gaming, YouTube and web browsing.

Yea 64GB would be better but I can make 32GB work just fine. Many have reported with windows 8.1 preview that their hard drive has opened 14GB free when it was previously less than 10. So once windows 8.1 launches officially you'll have some extra space.

As far as gaming - Don't expect too much from either tablet, they are sufficient for anything you'll find in the metro store so you're good there, but as far as some of the big PC games you won't have much success. The integrated graphics on clovertrail are pretty poor.

I'm actually planning on getting the Acer as well. But I have to do serious research since I hear alot of bad things about it.

I would suggest trying one in person at your local computer store - The only legitimate complaint is the screen's viewing angle however I have found it to be totally acceptable given the price. I don't mind the screen at all - Especially as a single user consumption tablet.

Also see my above comment - Windows 8.1 preview should free up 14GB of free space which is equivalent of your average iPad or other 7/8 inch tablet!

All things considered I love the W3 - You cannot get a full windows 8 computer for any less than this tablet and it's such a joy with touch friendly WIN8 on board. I bought a Bluetooth keyboard and stand, then I can set this guy up and perform full computer work especially if I push HDMI out to a TV or monitor!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the 64GB W3 and I couldn't ask for more. It is widely known that the screen is not the best - compared to today's devices. I remember when my Palm Treo phones with 320x320 screens were the bomb. WinMo phones had either 240x240 or 320x240. Just a little perspective there.

There is nothing I can't throw at it. I bought a wireless (not bluetooth) mini-keyboard at Office Depot for $30 and it even has a trackpad. Peripherals install without any issue and right now I have a complete mobile office in my bag (Canon BJ-80 printer & Brother portable scanner).

As Insti Gator said, you simply cannot get a full Windows 8 computer for less.

Brendan Dooley

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I would wait - Bay Trail tablets with 2-3x the performance of current atoms will be here in less than a month. Dell already has some great looking offerings coming up in the Venue line.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
But if price is an issue....
The current W3 is a pretty good option. I'd be willing to bet that the new pc/tablets on the horizon are going to be double the price at least of the W3.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I would wait - Bay Trail tablets with 2-3x the performance of current atoms will be here in less than a month. Dell already has some great looking offerings coming up in the Venue line.

Newer isn't always necessarily better. I'll take my chances with Clover Trail, at least it's been out for some time and performs very well. Battery life is sick for an x86 device (real, not advertised).

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

My point of view was actually the opposite - I went with the Iconia w3 because the new line of tabs are going to be much more expensive probably 2x or more and I wanted to get this tablet while it's so stinking cheap!

Also I don't believe the new chips will actually be 2X as powerful - Call it marketing hype, but let's see those benchmarks and just see if we get 2-3x the performance.

All things considered I predict that we won't see a full Win8 tab for anywhere near $249 (Iconia w3) again after they are gone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well...

Here are your benchmarks - AnandTech | The Bay Trail Preview: Intel Atom Z3770 Tested

And here's your pricing - http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/fall-2013-windows-tablet-preview
(Including a $249 Bay Trail tablet, among other promising price points.)

There isn't much speculation involved at this point.

Yep, you're right. No speculation except the author's very first sentence:

Note: Everything here is subject to change. Specs, prices, and whatever else could evolve as these devices hit the market. Some devices may even be delayed past the holiday period.

Brendan Dooley

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Yep, you're right. No speculation except the author's very first sentence:

Note: Everything here is subject to change. Specs, prices, and whatever else could evolve as these devices hit the market. Some devices may even be delayed past the holiday period.

Asus announced the pricing and cpu specs for the T100 themselves at the Intel event. I don't see them changing that. As for benchmarks, there's no reason to expect Intel to suddenly cut performance for Bay Trail SOCs after already releasing them to the press for testing.

Many of the models on Thurrott's page are definitely on the more speculative side - but we at least have concrete evidence that Bay Trail will be an improvement over Clover Trail, and will be priced in line with the current low end of Atom devices (Acer W3) and below, if Intel is to be believed.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Asus announced the pricing and cpu specs for the T100 themselves at the Intel event. I don't see them changing that. As for benchmarks, there's no reason to expect Intel to suddenly cut performance for Bay Trail SOCs after already releasing them to the press for testing.

Many of the models on Thurrott's page are definitely on the more speculative side - but we at least have concrete evidence that Bay Trail will be an improvement over Clover Trail, and will be priced in line with the current low end of Atom devices (Acer W3) and below, if Intel is to be believed.

I don't doubt the tech specs on paper. I've learned over the years that it's expensive to be a developmental engineer for the manufacturers. First year glitches aren't limited to autos.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! I can't wait to give the new devices a try!

I noticed there are a few iterations of Bay Trail, hopefully tablets stick with the good one's.

When the new devices are out we will get official proper tests - The truth will be revealed. In the mean time I am still working off an in-hand operational 8" tab lol.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to let the other person on the planet that owns the W3 that Staples is selling the Acer Iconia W3 official keyboard/case for $24.99. Picked mine up today. Also, they had the HDMI to VGA connector for $6.99. Didn't need that, but just wanted to pass along the info.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to let the other person on the planet that owns the W3 that Staples is selling the Acer Iconia W3 official keyboard/case for $24.99. Picked mine up today. Also, they had the HDMI to VGA connector for $6.99. Didn't need that, but just wanted to pass along the info.

Really?! The one that the tablet can clip into?

If som awesome I'm going to get one! They are sweet!

By the way for what it's worth to others I checked out performance on the Asus T100 at Best Buy last weekend and I know graphics performance is better but it only got the atom Z3740 and performance seemed identical to the W3, I know benchmarks favor bay trail but for the normal consumption user I don't think the difference is as stout as Intel promised.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo