Alternatives To The Surface Pro 2?

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I was interested in it until I saw the $899 price tag. Its a great device there's cheaper tablets with similiar specs running the 8.1 much like the with the first surface. Anybody have their eyes on any other tablets running 8.1 with the new processors? I'm looking more along the price range of 3-500.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You will not find a Surface Pro alternative at that price range. The competition for that device is probably in the $1k range or higher.

$899 is competively priced. I bought the Surface Pro 1, 128 gig and it is a fantastic device.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You won't get Core Haswell tablet devices at that price, you could get regular, low end laptops but that price range will be Bay Trail Atom territory. If you want Core power the cheapest tablet I've heard if is the Sony VAIO Tap 11 which starts at $799. However we haven't heard from Acer, Asus or Dell so there could still be something announced later on this year.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Surface Pro 2 64GB and 128GB models are priced at reasonably competitive targets. The 256GB and 512GB models, on the other hand, are priced very high. If you want the lesser storage versions, you will not find many options for comparable specs, at that price point.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
What others said. With that hardware you are looking at very competitive pricing from MS. I don't think you can that form factor and specs any cheaper?

That said, I'm not getting Surface 2 Pro. So lets try to list other similar options.

• Sony Vaio Tap 11
Cheapest model only carries Pentium processor, not Core Haswell. Thinnest and imo sexiest looking Haswell tablet out there. There has been reports that the screen and keyboard wont stay together all that well when attached to each other.

• Dell XPS 11
Not a pure tablet as the Surface and Vaio Tap with its Yoga like form factor, but worth to mention because of that 2560 x 1440 screen and thin body, even if the screen isn't removable.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
tissotti: Will Dell XPS 11 even be released this year? Have not heard anything sonce Computex, I believe.

Dell is having an event on October 2nd, most likely to be revealed fully there if they plan to have it on sale by the holiday period as they states at its initial announcement.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Dell just announced some computers in the $379 range. They are traditional laptops. For the specs of the Surface Pro, it is really competitively priced

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

mkslive

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Dell is having an event on October 2nd, most likely to be revealed fully there if they plan to have it on sale by the holiday period as they states at its initial announcement.

Thank you for that info. I believe I will buy Dell XPS 11 over Surface Pro 2. But it's difficult to choose.
With the rumours of a postponed Surface mini, I think I will buy a Dell Venue instead.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo is supposed to announce a super-thin Bay Trail tablet this month with some unique integrated stand and center of gravity shifting mechanism to make it seem lighter than it actually is.
If it's a quad-core processor, has the option of a digitizer and has at least a 10.6" screen then perhaps it'd be worthy of consideration.

zwikel

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Could please post any more info you have on the upcoming Lenovo super-thin Bay Trail tablet? Links would be great. Thank you. I have the Thinkpad Tablet 2 with digitizer and LTE which is good tablet but I'm interested in something with more speed. The tablet you mentioned sounds like it might be the follow product.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo